Campfire - Solaris
Aug 31, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #6,166 of 12,035
I've been researching and buying online to figure out what I want. The KZ ZS7 clued me in that I'd want a DD/BA hybrid, but what a sibilant mess! The Fiio FH7 is loads of fun, and I love the low end, but the highs are meh. I bought the Solaris on the basis of the much hyped holographic soundstage, and in that regard, it does not disappoint. But, I do really miss the FH7's woofer. I would love a new hyper holographic CA hybrid with more low end oomph than the current Solaris.

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #6,167 of 12,035
I would love a new hyper holographic CA hybrid with more low end oomph than the current Solaris.

I too would love such a thing but I'm not sure it exists yet. I tried the Sony IER Z1R and while I loved it's much lauded low end I wound up sticking with the Solaris because I find its coherence, holographic stage, balanced presentation, separation and detail much more to my liking. I think a tad more slam in the mid bass would be ideal...but I'm not sure if doing this would sacrifice any of the other elements.

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #6,168 of 12,035
I've been researching and buying online to figure out what I want. The KZ ZS7 clued me in that I'd want a DD/BA hybrid, but what a sibilant mess! The Fiio FH7 is loads of fun, and I love the low end, but the highs are meh. I bought the Solaris on the basis of the much hyped holographic soundstage, and in that regard, it does not disappoint. But, I do really miss the FH7's woofer. I would love a new hyper holographic CA hybrid with more low end oomph than the current Solaris.

Have you tried a little EQ boost with the Solaris? Or changed tips for a better seal?

Might not get you all the way to what you want, but both will give you more deep bass.

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #6,169 of 12,035
My source is Spotify premium on a Galaxy S9, and the only EQ I've tried that will work with an external DAC is Eqfy, which I always end up shutting off. Tips are an issue for me, as they hurt and don't seal well. I ended up getting SoundMolds custom silicone eartips that IEMs plug into. I can get a seal with Comply tips, but they hurt after 30 minutes. I got the SoundMolds and never looked back, so I really can't say how they changed the sound over Comply tips because I never did an A/B comparison. I'm completely delighted with them because I can wear them for hours, and my IEMs still sound fine to me.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #6,170 of 12,035
My source is Spotify premium on a Galaxy S9, and the only EQ I've tried that will work with an external DAC is Eqfy, which I always end up shutting off. Tips are an issue for me, as they hurt and don't seal well. I ended up getting SoundMolds custom silicone eartips that IEMs plug into. I can get a seal with Comply tips, but they hurt after 30 minutes. I got the SoundMolds and never looked back, so I really can't say how they changed the sound over Comply tips because I never did an A/B comparison. I'm completely delighted with them because I can wear them for hours, and my IEMs still sound fine to me.

I've been curious about the custom molds. How much further do the Solaris stick out with the SoundMolds? Mind snapping a pic?

I have pretty small and shallow ears, and as much as I love my spinfits, I'm always a bit curious how much comfort I could gain with customs.

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #6,171 of 12,035
I'm camera shy, but they do make IEMs stick out more. And, with the Solaris being huge and stupidly blingy, there's just nothing about this setup that says, "This doesn't look ridiculous at all!"

Aug 31, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #6,172 of 12,035
From a customer's perspective, I think the major issue here is how units will be serviced, if and when the need arises.

On the topic of sound, the Solaris (mine, at least) sounds just as great as it did, day one. I'm not really concerned whether Campfire Audio went the 'cheap' route, and installed Bellsing drivers in their flagship product(s). Hell, they still sound fantastic, don't they?

Yeah, My point is like yours. Although the local sales rep Agent, all services claims still runs like usually...

So we'll just see where these will go...

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #6,173 of 12,035
I hope that if Campfire is forced to make a Solaris V2 with Knowles driver, they use this opportunity to improve the midrange.

To me, the midrange flaw isn't glaring, but it prevents the Solaris from reaching the highest tiers of the new hybrid iems (that and its bass extension). I've heard pretty much all the new hybrid iems, and would place Solaris near the bottom of the list. However, the other hybrids cost up to 2x its price, and I have yet to hear a better sounding hybrid for lower than $1500. Even though the Z1r may sound better, bear it mind that it costs 1/3 more! There are other hybrids like the Elysium which costs much more but sound worse too.

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #6,174 of 12,035
Even though the Z1r may sound better,

It doesn't sound better, incidentally due in part to a more present midrange on the Solaris, but also because that the Z1R suffers from coherence issues that the Solaris avoids.

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #6,175 of 12,035
It doesn't sound better, incidentally due in part to a more present midrange on the Solaris, but also because that the Z1R suffers from coherence issues that the Solaris avoids.

I dis-agree. I find the Sony Z1R to sound way better than the Solaris, Solaris with its thinish midrange and lack of bass.

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #6,176 of 12,035
Yeah, it's pretty much all subjective anyways. What someone loves, someone else might not. As long as you love what you have, just enjoy your music and don't worry about what other people think. :L3000:

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #6,177 of 12,035
Yeah, My point is like yours. Although the local sales rep Agent, all services claims still runs like usually...

So we'll just see where these will go...

So if CA is forced to abide by Knowles’ C&D, it might only affect consumers who purchased directly from Campfire. If you’re elsewhere in the world and bought from your local distributor, the distributor could be on the hook for service claims regardless of the BA driver situation.

It’s like when Noble says that secondhand Noble IEMs aren’t under warranty - sure, you can say that, but it doesn’t matter if the distributors are legally required to service them or provide a new replacement.

I hope that if Campfire is forced to make a Solaris V2 with Knowles driver, they use this opportunity to improve the midrange.

To me, the midrange flaw isn't glaring, but it prevents the Solaris from reaching the highest tiers of the new hybrid iems (that and its bass extension). I've heard pretty much all the new hybrid iems, and would place Solaris near the bottom of the list. However, the other hybrids cost up to 2x its price, and I have yet to hear a better sounding hybrid for lower than $1500. Even though the Z1r may sound better, bear it mind that it costs 1/3 more! There are other hybrids like the Elysium which costs much more but sound worse too.

I’d also place the Solaris near the bottom of the upper echelons of a “best IEM” list. I think that Solaris is a great starting point in that it does imaging and especially soundstage well, but from an FR standpoint, I think the lows, mids, and highs all have significant room for improvement.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #6,178 of 12,035
With Solaris as the starting point, what would be some superior hybrid IEMs (no price limit) that can match the amazing Solaris soundstage? I have no doubt that I'd love the Z1R's low end, but in general, I prefer to keep dynamic drivers as far away from the high end as possible, and from what I've read, I'm pretty sure I would prefer the the Solaris's BAs over the Z1R's DD.

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #6,179 of 12,035
With Solaris as the starting point, what would be some superior hybrid IEMs (no price limit) that can match the amazing Solaris soundstage? I have no doubt that I'd love the Z1R's low end, but in general, I prefer to keep dynamic drivers as far away from the high end as possible, and from what I've read, I'm pretty sure I would prefer the the Solaris's BAs over the Z1R's DD.

Z1R is the obvious answer there, and I find that it does highs better than the Solaris. (Actually, I find it does most things better.)

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #6,180 of 12,035

I will respond to you in PM, this is a Solaris thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back