Campfire - Solaris
Mar 7, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #3,916 of 12,035

You might not like it, just saying. I know how hard it can be lurking on this forum reading impressions. The Atlas is a beast, and in it's own ways it bests the Solaris on many a levels.
I personally prefer single drivers over multi BA or hybrids anyday. You should enjoy what you have, rather than stretching yourself thin on the financial side.

Oh I fully understand and I am (I hope, lol) sufficiently responsible to only make financially sensible choices. My post was more venting than anything. That said, after my experience with the Atlas I'd never buy an expensive IEM without trying it first and I'm fortunate to live close to the only CA dealer in Canada so if (and when) I'm ready to take the plunge I'll be able to test it out first.

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #3,917 of 12,035
Had a nice visit with JD. At Campefire. While I was in Portland.
Great time! Love the new stainless Andromeda.
Thanks again !
IMG_20190306_100304895.jpg

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #3,918 of 12,035
Tried out the Solaris and I didn't notice vocals sounding odd for my ears (or at least noticibly much, perhaps some people want the articulation to stick out more like PP8 for example). It's tuned to be less aggressive for upper-mids articulation. It's definately more laid back tuning in terms of articulation compared to the Andro, but both are are a bit sensitive to impedance response interactions.

Due to the tuning, vocals sounds more distanced and adds to the perception of large stage I believe.

It's quite sensitive that it picks hiss from 1Z and all the sources I've some degree of hiss.

I've seen an impedance reaponse floating around, and it's as low as 3ohms in the bass?! That's too low. I found something odd about sound out of AK DAP 2ohms, particularly with Bass, but 1Z has 1 ohm OI, no? You get more bass with it.

Sound stage is large, obviously more spacious than the Andro.

It doesn't sound much technically better than Andro, just tuned slightly different with large stage. I don't find Solaris to be more resolving or transparent.

Compared to Andro, Solaris doesn't see. To be sensitive to tip bore size (at least not much).

So, overall much larger stage than Andro with smoother treble.

As far as fit, it's obviously bulky and initially was a bit awkward. Not too pleased with the bulk and fit.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3,919 of 12,035
Oh I fully understand and I am (I hope, lol) sufficiently responsible to only make financially sensible choices. My post was more venting than anything. That said, after my experience with the Atlas I'd never buy an expensive IEM without trying it first and I'm fortunate to live close to the only CA dealer in Canada so if (and when) I'm ready to take the plunge I'll be able to test it out first.
Try ‘em and you’ll buy ‘em.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #3,920 of 12,035
I bought a N8 from Andy at Cayin. I am absolutely loving the meaty muscular sound that the N8 is putting out, its got some nice slam. Sound wise I like it over my Sony player.

very happy, nice pairing.

IMG_6905.jpg IMG_6906.jpg

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #3,921 of 12,035
I bought a N8 from Andy at Cayin. I am absolutely loving the meaty muscular sound that the N8 is putting out, its got some nice slam. Sound wise I like it over my Sony player.

Kb
Nice...

btw, is it true u need to warming up 30 minutes if u want to use the tube amp SE??
and what about noise? (habit)

Anyway, below is like Zircon, precious gem that want to be collect (this the best that my camera can do)
20190305_164203.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #3,922 of 12,035
Can you tell me about the thickness of cable? Is it thicker than average 8x wire cable? The cable doesn't appear to be stiff..Thanks.
It is thinner that the average 8x wire and not as stiff.

I just got my custom tips for the Solaris today so I can finally post my impressions of the Gold 16.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #3,923 of 12,035
@KB General question:
Many companies invest in marketing material like explosions views and diagrams showcasing the internals of their IEMs to explain and promote their technologies. Is there a reason why you guys don't do that at all?

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #3,924 of 12,035
@KB General question:
Many companies invest in marketing material like explosions views and diagrams showcasing the internals of their IEMs to explain and promote their technologies. Is there a reason why you guys don't do that at all?

At all.? ! :wink:

We are not against doing so, its just takes time and $$ to make them.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #3,925 of 12,035

Kb

Ken will you and the team be at axpona this year. I hope so I am looking forward to trying the gold cables with my Solaris .

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #3,926 of 12,035

I just got my custom tips for the Solaris today so I can finally post my impressions of the Gold 16.

Who did you have make the custom tips. I am looking for some for my Solaris and roxannes. I know custom art makes some buy it seems like they are only available to order in Europe.

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #3,927 of 12,035

I look forward to your review on Solaris having gold 16 and custom ear tip. I suppose you feel more comfortable wearing Solaris with the custom tips.

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #3,929 of 12,035
Who did you have make the custom tips. I am looking for some for my Solaris and roxannes. I know custom art makes some buy it seems like they are only available to order in Europe.
I had my custom tips made by Advanced Sound https://www.adv-sound.com whose lab is in Capitola (Santa Cruz), CA. They had a booth at Can Jam NYC and did the impressions there at no cost. They hadn't done tips for the Solaris yet so they needed mine to scan to make the master. So going forward all you will need is to send them your impressions.

The turn around was quick, less than 3 weeks. These are my first custom tips but I am impressed so far. What I like is I can easily remove the Solaris from my ear without having to removed the custom tip. You twist to remove it and twist to put it back in. I got clear silicon and it has their logo in red for right and blue for left ear.

As requested here is a picture:

Advanced Sound Tips on Solaris.jpg

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #3,930 of 12,035
Custom Art (Poland), Ambient Acoustics (Ukraine), Snugs (UK), AAW (Singapore), and Soundcat (Korea) also offer custom IEM tips, so there seem to be a decent number of options at different price points.

(Also, each place seems to approach the tip design a bit differently regarding how much of the actual IEM they cover, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back