Campfire - Solaris
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #3,271 of 12,035
It does beg the question I guess: at what point does an IEM no longer have primary function as something used in the real world?
When u bore or got something replacing it....
:ksc75smile:
To be serious, is depend on you. I wear Solaris almost when I am driving, so It is really replacing my car audio... If you don't feel comfortable for it shape or looks... then you are doing the right thing for you...

Edit : Hmm... I think there are some thing wrong with the adapter or the Cable... when I am moving around, sometimes the left side off (no sound)...

On second thought, why was I grab the adapter 4.4mm female to 3.5mm SE Male... :confounded:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3,272 of 12,035
To be serious, is depend on you. I wear Solaris almost when I am driving, so It is really replacing my car audio... If you don't feel comfortable for it shape or looks... then you are doing the right thing for you...
Use a black marker to turn it black.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #3,273 of 12,035
Ok, so BAD NEWS TIME. While the Solaris are undoubtedly the best sounding IEMs I've ever put in my ears, I can't justify the price if I am only going to be using them at home. They're just too big and obtrusive for me use them in public. I'm not as rich as some of you maybe, so had to do a lot of soul searching. Ultimately, I have the Andro S and they are perfect for my daily needs, including a lot of out and about time - and while I would dearly love to keep the Solaris, my bank account will thank me for replenshing it. So back they go. Such a shame - if CA could only get the form factor down to Andro size, I'd be punching the air right now.

It does beg the question I guess: at what point does an IEM no longer have primary function as something used in the real world?

I tend to agree that owning the Andromeda S and the Solaris together is a bit of an overkill. Especially if you think (like I do) that they sound quite similar to each other.

But when you say "out and about" what exactly do you mean? I imagine that in the train/bus/office they should be fine. For something more active, like walking or doing sports yeah, I can see a problem, but in those situations I think sound quality should not be your main concern anyway, since your perception of sound is so heavily affected/degraded by your own movement.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #3,274 of 12,035

Edit : Hmm... I think there are some thing wrong with the adapter or the Cable... when I am moving around, sometimes the left side off (no sound)...

On second thought, why was I grab the adapter 4.4mm female to 3.5mm SE Male... :confounded:

I'm using Fiio LL-4.4mm adapter, it's pretty good. I usually use it to listen directly to mobile phone.

BTW Driving and wearing earphone is quite dangerous actually. You lost the awareness of your surrounding. But then again you are driving in Jakarta, most of the time are in traffic jam so maybe it's OK :D

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #3,275 of 12,035
I tend to agree that owning the Andromeda S and the Solaris together is a bit of an overkill. Especially if you think (like I do) that they sound quite similar to each other.

But when you say "out and about" what exactly do you mean? I imagine that in the train/bus/office they should be fine. For something more active, like walking or doing sports yeah, I can see a problem, but in those situations I think sound quality should not be your main concern anyway, since your perception of sound is so heavily affected/degraded by your own movement.

Walking and gym, some public transport. Regarding sound quality - well, I think that does matter when used in an active setting, but it becomes more of a delicate equation of comfort, build and sound in this scenario - arguably a very fine line to walk. While the Solaris nail the sonics, the comfort and build really don't do it for my own specific needs. The Andro S hit the sweet spot. Your ear mileage may vary, of course.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #3,276 of 12,035
Walking and gym, some public transport. Regarding sound quality - well, I think that does matter when used in an active setting, but it becomes more of a delicate equation of comfort, build and sound in this scenario - arguably a very fine line to walk. While the Solaris nail the sonics, the comfort and build really don't do it for my own specific needs. Your ear mileage may vary, of course.
Totally agree.
Cardinal reason for wanting IEM, as far as I am concerned, is that I don't need to unplug it as I get off the train/bus to start off brisk walking or run, if you will.
Otherwise, I'd rather save the money to upgrade my headphone to Final D8000 or whatever.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3,277 of 12,035
Ok, so BAD NEWS TIME. While the Solaris are undoubtedly the best sounding IEMs I've ever put in my ears, I can't justify the price if I am only going to be using them at home. They're just too big and obtrusive for me use them in public. I'm not as rich as some of you maybe, so had to do a lot of soul searching. Ultimately, I have the Andro S and they are perfect for my daily needs, including a lot of out and about time - and while I would dearly love to keep the Solaris, my bank account will thank me for replenshing it. So back they go. Such a shame - if CA could only get the form factor down to Andro size, I'd be punching the air right now.

I use mine in public everyday. No one really notices. Most people dont pay attention to other people unless they have a heavily advertised "status" symbol like beats or something of that sort.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #3,279 of 12,035
What adapter are you using please?

Looks like OKCSC adapter I have one looking like this except cable color... you can get them on amazon

Beware those are not very sturdy, I ordered both 4.4 to 2.5 and 4.4 to 3.5 and one of those already has a false contact and I am OCD with gear...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #3,280 of 12,035
I'm using Fiio LL-4.4mm adapter, it's pretty good. I usually use it to listen directly to mobile phone.

BTW Driving and wearing earphone is quite dangerous actually. You lost the awareness of your surrounding. But then again you are driving in Jakarta, most of the time are in traffic jam so maybe it's OK :D

Hehehe, u are right on driving, but will be more dangerous when u are drunk and reading / using Smartphone (the no. 1 killer now).
Well, driving in Jakarta is famous for traffic, roughly u will take 1- 2 hour ride only for less than 20 KM... so u can imagine. rather stress watching the butt of car, rather plug that Solaris and enjoy...

regarding Fiio LL-4.4mm, alrd order... hehehe

I use mine in public everyday. No one really notices. Most people dont pay attention to other people unless they have a heavily advertised "status" symbol like beats or something of that sort.
U are right, for IEM, no body will care... but Cable different story, cable is getting more attention...

What adapter are you using please?
OKCSC OFC Adapter 2.5mm Male Interface 4.4mm Female Balanced Plug Audio Stereo Cable 8 Cores for SONY PHA-2A TA-ZH1ES NW-WM1Z
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/****9Wjm

Like @davidmolliere said.... so so quality... already experienced no contact on the left side...

Looks like OKCSC adapter I have one looking like this except cable color... you can get them on amazon

Beware those are not very sturdy, I ordered both 4.4 to 2.5 and 4.4 to 3.5 and one of those already has a false contact and I am OCD with gear...
Yup u are Right. alrd order the Fiio one. 4.4 to 3.5.... hehehe.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #3,281 of 12,035
Ok, so BAD NEWS TIME. While the Solaris are undoubtedly the best sounding IEMs I've ever put in my ears, I can't justify the price if I am only going to be using them at home. While I would dearly love to keep the Solaris, my bank account will thank me for replenshing it. So back they go.

Oh that's a shame, could you perhaps make an effort and keep both, just to indulge yourself a little bit? I can relate to this as soon I will find myself in a similar situation: I'm expecting my Solaris to arrive and I also have Andromeda. And now I'm in a dilemma if I should keep the Andros for outdoor use... But common sense also telling me to sell it to cover this wallet devastating purchase of Solaris.

And a quick poll:
How many of your monthly salaries does it take to buy Solaris in your country? For me it takes 1.1 of my salary. In Russia buying from an official retailer is more expensive than if you'd buy directly from CA, so the end price here is approx $1800.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #3,282 of 12,035
Oh that's a shame, could you perhaps make an effort and keep both, just to indulge yourself a little bit? I can relate to this as soon I will find myself in a similar situation: I'm expecting my Solaris to arrive and I also have Andromeda. And now I'm in a dilemma if I should keep the Andros for outdoor use... But common sense also telling me to sell it to cover this wallet devastating purchase of Solaris.

And a quick poll:
How many of your monthly salaries does it take to buy Solaris in your country? For me it takes 1.1 of my salary. In Russia buying from an official retailer is more expensive than if you'd buy directly from CA, so the end price here is approx $1800.
Just out of curiosity, have you heard the Solaris before deciding to buy?

About your poll, I remember when I used to live in my home county in eastern Europe, the IE80 was already a big purchase for me (probably ~40% of a monthly net salary). I've been living now in (north) western Europe for a few years and the Andromeda felt like a more acceptable purchase in this context.

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #3,284 of 12,035
Well I live in Iran and thanks to the US sanctions and crazy inflation, Solaris costs about 7-9 months of my full salary :frowning2: So I saved about a year for this and I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger.

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #3,285 of 12,035
And a quick poll:

In the states at retail it'd be about 35% of my monthly salary to pickup a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back