Campfire - Solaris
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #3,121 of 12,035
For sure. It's perfect for in flight use. I gave my Bose QC to a friend after getting SE846.

What would I miss if I choose Andromeda over Solaris?
Seems Campfire doesn't want to explore the South Korean market. No dealer here, dang.....

I used to own the andromeda but sold it back in May. I still regret it sometimes and even have thought about trying to find a used one. The biggest difference I can remember is the low end difference. I think andromeda had better highs whereas solaris has better bass. But that was 8 months ago!

Nonetheless, I love the solaris. Pairs well with all my music. Probably my go to iem right now. Hard to say which one you'd like considering most people like both.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,122 of 12,035
No hiss means skip ALO CV5 despite the good pairing...

Well it’s not a desktop amp but I for one love the Solaris out of the iDSD Micro Black Label, I found the Hugo 2 pairing to be good as well but I didn’t care much for the treble on the Hugo 2 as it can get too sharp to my ears (over accentuated if you will). The Micro BL has plenty of detail treble wise but it’s smoother, and black background is as black as it comes (especially when used with a DAP as transport and running the Micro BL DAC along with its amp). Not to mention I found the bass to be snappier and cleaner than Hugo 2, i.e snappier attack, more sub and less mid bass.
Dont be afraid, use your weapons , try the Xbass, its really a clean sub bass feature.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #3,123 of 12,035
No hiss means skip ALO CV5 despite the good pairing...

Well it’s not a desktop amp but I for one love the Solaris out of the iDSD Micro Black Label, I found the Hugo 2 pairing to be good as well but I didn’t care much for the treble on the Hugo 2 as it can get too sharp to my ears (over accentuated if you will). The Micro BL has plenty of detail treble wise but it’s smoother, and black background is as black as it comes (especially when used with a DAP as transport and running the Micro BL DAC along with its amp). Not to mention I found the bass to be snappier and cleaner than Hugo 2, i.e snappier attack, more sub and less mid bass.

I use the iematch with the CV5. It works similarly to the function on the idsd bl. I like the signature with the CV5 slightly more than the idsd bl.

My favorite is still balanced out of the sp1000cu though .

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #3,124 of 12,035
I own both the IT04 and the new IT01s. Both are excellent and worth owning. IT04 is their highest end hybrid earphones but the new IT01s. Shocking how great they sound. I just got it 2 days ago and they are on the burn in. I was shocked at how much of an upgrade the IT01S is their older IT01. SQ the level of $500 plus phones easily. As much as the IT04 pushes sonics. The IT01s is shocking. No way is there a $200 phone that sounds as good. I would even put it up against my Andromda S in pure sonic production. It is crazy.

Anyways back on topic. My Solaris is sounding better than it ever has due to that cable. My Shanling M5s is surprising as well.

since you owned both iBasso IT04 and CA Solaris, I would like to get your opinion, is that a good upgrade from IT04 to Solaris ? Is the sound signature same ?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #3,125 of 12,035
My favorite is still balanced out of the sp1000cu though .

Back when I auditioned the Solaris next to my Andro-S, that was the combination that made me go: alright, now we're getting somewhere. (I had the SS version + Ref 8) Heavy and pricey though.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #3,126 of 12,035
Back when I auditioned the Solaris next to my Andro-S, that was the combination that made me go: alright, now we're getting somewhere. (I had the SS version) Heavy and pricey though.
time to choose.....

the DAP quest is tiring.... none of my favo is available... only ZX300, but dont have stream capabilities

sigh....

Jan 17, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #3,127 of 12,035
time to choose..... The DAP quest is tiring.... none of my favo is available... only ZX300, but dont have stream capabilities...sigh....

Well with the LDAC Bluetooth receiver with any modern Android you are set with the ZX300 and it performs very well at its price point.
If Hiby finally releases it, the R6 Pro is a good option...

Personally I am back to stacking now, so mostly my DAP will be a transport for the Micro BL or LO to ALO CV5.
That’s why I am selling the WM1Z because it’s overkill for transport and R6 Pro should be nice enough to use standalone when I don’t want to stack which is mainly on the go and not listening critically... Even TOTL DAPs won’t get you the headroom of a good DAC/AMP so this question is set for me. Of course depending on usage people can have different requirements. I listen mostly at home or at the office, I don’t commute by public transportation.

I’ll be able to post impression for the Hiby R6 Pro / Solaris pairing next week BTW :D

Jan 17, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #3,128 of 12,035
Well with the LDAC Bluetooth receiver with any modern Android you are set with the ZX300 and it performs very well at its price point.
If Hiby finally releases it, the R6 Pro is a good option...

Personally I am back to stacking now, so mostly my DAP will be a transport for the Micro BL or LO to ALO CV5.
That’s why I am selling the WM1Z because it’s overkill for transport and R6 Pro should be nice enough to use standalone when I don’t want to stack which is mainly on the go and not listening critically... Even TOTL DAPs won’t get you the headroom of a good DAC/AMP so this question is set for me. Of course depending on usage people can have different requirements. I listen mostly at home or at the office, I don’t commute by public transportation.

I’ll be able to post impression for the Hiby R6 Pro / Solaris pairing next week BTW :D
Looking foward for the impression..

edit, opposite from you, I am looking DAP that no need Stack, so I can travel more agile....
20190116_235551.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #3,129 of 12,035
since you owned both iBasso IT04 and CA Solaris, I would like to get your opinion, is that a good upgrade from IT04 to Solaris ? Is the sound signature same ?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Would be something if a $500 phone equated with the $1500 one. Though I have to say I feel the Solaris is comepletely worth the price asked and compared to other TOTL flagships actualy has the better value. Though this is just my opinion but I feel the IT04 hangs with earphones twice the price easily, I feel they are a side grade to the standard Andromedas in signature and ability for example. Not the same signature of the Solaris. IT04 is more neutrally tuned vs the Solaris with the Solaris having a more 3Dness depth in mids that is more fleshed out more dimensional with even better precision vs the IT04s relativlely leaner mid range. Solaris sounds more surround like vs sitting on 20th row taking in the music which representes the IT04. Bass on both sets have some similarities in that both are not enhanced for basshead preferences but the Solaris has better defintion in the bass area especially sub bass. Upper treble on the IT04 has a bit more emphasis vs the Solaris but both are defined really well there.

IT04 tuning for me is similar to how headphone flagships are tuned. Neutral with a wide stage treble enhancement and clean definied bass. Solaris has that bass and treble definition but it is the mids of the Solaris and better coherencey of the Solaris that clearly puts them in a different level over the IT04.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #3,130 of 12,035
Looking foward for the impression..
edit, opposite from you, I am looking DAP that no need Stack, so I can travel more agile....

Yeah everyone has different needs and usage... the IT01S need good juice, but the DX120 is very good with them as it packs great driving power and has a tuning that has great synergy with the IT01S. R6 Pro might arrive earlier than I thought, tomorrow possibly :D

Jan 17, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #3,131 of 12,035
Would be something if a $500 phone equated with the $1500 one. Though I have to say I feel the Solaris is comepletely worth the price asked and compared to other TOTL flagships actualy has the better value. Though this is just my opinion but I feel the IT04 hangs with earphones twice the price easily, I feel they are a side grade to the standard Andromedas in signature and ability for example. Not the same signature of the Solaris. IT04 is more neutrally tuned vs the Solaris with the Solaris having a more 3Dness depth in mids that is more fleshed out more dimensional with even better precision vs the IT04s relativlely leaner mid range. Solaris sounds more surround like vs sitting on 20th row taking in the music which representes the IT04. Bass on both sets have some similarities in that both are not enhanced for basshead preferences but the Solaris has better defintion in the bass area especially sub bass. Upper treble on the IT04 has a bit more emphasis vs the Solaris but both are defined really well there.

IT04 tuning for me is similar to how headphone flagships are tuned. Neutral with a wide stage treble enhancement and clean definied bass. Solaris has that bass and treble definition but it is the mids of the Solaris and better coherencey of the Solaris that clearly puts them in a different level over the IT04.

Thanks bro for all your experience sharing.
May I know have you listen before o Ultimate Ears 18+ Pro ? If yes, how was the comparison between Solaris and UE 18+ Pro (custom). Both also have the similar price. Plan to use in on my DX200 + Amp 8

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #3,133 of 12,035
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #3,135 of 12,035
Rocking and a rolling the Solaris with Cayin N8. Captivating sound.

Sure would like to lay my ears on the N8, looks ugly but by all accounts sounds beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back