Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #916 of 1,063
How does the Ara compare to Solaris Stellar Horizon
Going into detail on bass, how the mids blend with the treble, timbre, etc etc as per most reviews is not my strong point. All I go on is simple. Do I enjoy the music more? I can usually tell a difference between equipment, dacs headphones iem's even though I wouldn't know were to start when describing what I hear. So on that basis here is my 'review' on the SS horizan. Coming from the ara the most obvious thing that hits straight away is the soundstage and detail. The drums really do sound 3D. The treble on the ara for me could get a little harsh. Not so here. All is good. Best thing to say is, I bought blind based only on reviews. They describe better than i ever could, and my own experience is that they are all spot on with there assessment!!! I will round of with one word.....BARGAIN!!!!!!!.........

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #917 of 1,063
This hobby has been a monumental journey for me over the past few years. I've owned dozens of IEMs, sources and cables and demoed many more than that, on occasions owning upwards of 10 different IEMs at once. Ever since hearing this particular combo a few months ago everything sort of fell into place as I discovered the sound I'd been searching for this whole time. I've been slowly selling off different pieces of gear over the past few weeks and months settling on this as my one and only (along with the Bonneville as nice change of pace whenever I feel like it). This combo has it all for me and seems to have brought my perpetual search to a grinding halt for the time being.

80C8201D-1279-4290-86A9-474FCD6018E0.JPEG
Do you know why the Trifecta is so polarizing? Is it regarding the presentation of the sound, DAC/AMP needs, or something else? Never seen an IEM being called out as the greatest or the worst depending on whom one asked.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #918 of 1,063
Do you know why the Trifecta is so polarizing?

I understand why some folks don't love it, but I do not for the life of me understand the hate it gets in some quarters or why some folks have made a religion out of trumpeting their dislike for it.

In my opinion a lot of the controversy around it stems from the fact that it's an unapologetic and pure manifestation of a quintessentially American tuning aesthetic, which completely flies in the face of many of the trends in recent years that have placed an emphasis on more "eastern" tuning approaches that emphasize top end air, detail and clarity above all.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #919 of 1,063
I understand why some folks don't love it, but I do not for the life of me understand the hate it gets in some quarters or why some folks have made a religion out of trumpeting their dislike for it.

In my opinion a lot of the controversy around it stems from the fact that it's an unapologetic and pure manifestation of a quintessentially American tuning aesthetic, which completely flies in the face of many of the trends in recent years that have placed an emphasis on more "eastern" tuning approaches that emphasize top end air, detail and clarity above all.
And Sub bass shelves that look great in measurements but don't actually provide any heft or presence, merely a "not rolled off" low end. I'm positive the target audience for those tunings you mentioned are also not predominately listening to genres where there might actually be musical information in those elevated regions 🤭

The online hate is belonging to an in-group of haters, that's all.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #920 of 1,063
Just some friends gathering around a Campfire, having a good time while discussing (some of their own & some on a loan) iems :)

Campfire collection.jpg

From the top left, counter clockwise: CFA Ara / Andro ES / Solaris SH / Supermoon HK / Andro (OG) and Vega (OG)

So, what did they end up agreeing (based on their opinions and not universal facts) on?

1) That most of these iems are quite sensitive to cable / tip rolling
2) That both the original (Andro+Vega) versions can still hold their ground, compared to some of the new ones
3) That the Solaris SH was the (technically) best and most revealing of the bunch, but they also enjoyed the (more romantically and slightly darker tuned) Supermoon a lot!

Btw, they would love to hear the Bonneville or Trifecta at some time. But for now they're mainly thankful that they had the opportunity (huge 'Thank you!' to @Wyville) in life to experience the ones above :)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #921 of 1,063
BS is great with metal as long as its properly recorded.

Archspires “Bleed the future” album sounds amazing and more sludgy things like eg Druids “Shadow work” has nice weight in the low end.

Older metal like Dream Theater “Systematic chaos” sounds a little “lighter”.

I guess “substantial oomph” might differ from one person to another but the BS has nice low end with wonderful sub bass and mid bass that kicks just right to my ears.
Thanks for the feedback! I'd say most of the metal I tend to listen to is *decent* when it comes to recording quality. Not a fan of raw black metal or anything that rough production wise, but even some current death metal can be so-so when it comes to dynamic range and mastering. Sounds like Black Star would be a fine pairing in that regard for the most part.

For those that have heard / own both, how does the bass quantity compare between Bonneville and Black Star? I'm assuming Bonneville has more bass quantity but I may be off the mark there. I'm really enjoying the bass response as I play through various metal / rock genres with Bonneville but it does teeter on the edge of being a bit too elevated for some faster, complex music. It gives a somewhat closed in feel as the bass overshadows the mids ever so slightly. Not a deal breaker by any stretch but it's taking some brain adjustment when jumping from my current daily driver (Elysian Annhilator). Honestly, Bonneville is reminding me somewhat of the 64 Audio Nio, but with a better treble presentation / quality and more spacious staging.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #922 of 1,063
For those that have heard / own both, how does the bass quantity compare between Bonneville and Black Star? I'm assuming Bonneville has more bass quantity but I may be off the mark there. I'm really enjoying the bass response as I play through various metal / rock genres with Bonneville but it does teeter on the edge of being a bit too elevated for some faster, complex music.
See post 616 and 726 in this tread. Bonneville seems to have more (mid?)bass while the BS is a little more analytic with more sparkle up top. But they seem to be somewhat similar…?

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #923 of 1,063
First time getting a chance to finally hear a Campfire IEM, courtesy of @Rockwell75 tour. I have to say that I am quite impressed.

The Bonneville does heavy duty blackened death/doom very well. The low end digs deeeep with bass drum kicks, guitars have a chunky weight and warmth to them and cymbals have just enough bite to cut through the sludge but without any fatigue. These stand quite tall in their respective price bracket (and beyond), I’d say. Nicely Done!

Not typically a fan of purple / pink but these look pretty cool and they match this album cover bang on.

IMG_5464.jpeg

Now wanting to hear Black Star and Trifecta…

Glad you enjoyed them! And thanks for checking us out :)

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 25, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #924 of 1,063
Hi to all...... I cant talk to anyone around here as were all carrot crunchers. So you guys are going to hear it instead.!. Just got the solaris steller horizon . Got good deal from HiFonix (uk) £2000, shout out to Aseem who was great with the transaction. Gave it 100hrs or so burn in during the week for some serious listening this weekend. All I can say is that this IEM is jaw dropping. Soundstage and detail of the scale. We all cringe when we read that the listener heard things he/she had never heard before even in familiar recordings. Its such a corny phrase thats up there with ' as the artist intended' we all agree. Well Im applying that corny phrase here because thats how it is. Bear in mind Im coming from the ARA which is fantastic .But these are truly next level and my end game......Sorry I cant write a better review, Im no good at that stuff. All I know is the moment I pressed play I knew they were significantly better than anything I have ever heard. By a country mile........Anyway, the weekend is ebbing away so got to get back to the tunes!!.......

Wow this is so awesome to hear! Really glad you're getting so much enjoyment out of them :o2smile:

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #925 of 1,063
So, I'm gonna give CFA another try! Found a good deal on a gently used Solaris 2020 that will be arriving Wed or Thurs. I've never heard them so, looking forward to trying them with a couple of the nice 4.4mm mmcx cables I've picked up in the past year.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #926 of 1,063
Midnight blue Trifecta arriving tomorrow!!!

I'm ready!

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #927 of 1,063

I have not come across that many hate comments but those I encountered have never been able to point to a specific aspect of the Trifecta that cannot be forgiven. I do hear a upper-mid honk but this is only when I switched immediately from a very balanced monitor, and it doesn’t really detract to the point where it warrants hate comments.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #928 of 1,063
Mar 26, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #929 of 1,063

out of curiosity, what is a "quintessentially American tuning aesthetic"?

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #930 of 1,063
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back