Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #887 of 1,152
Question to Campfire audio staff about Supermoon CIEM vs Universal.

Currently owning a set of Universal and I really like what I'm hearing with the original foam tips. Less with the silicone ones.
But comfort with foam is horrible on long term as insertion is less deep vs silicone tips I like (moondrop spring) making too much pressure on my concha.

I wonder if CIEM give a sound close to foam tips on universal or silicone tips.
Also is the artist vs audiophile fit makes a difference in sound ? I suppose it does as insertion is different

Thanks

Hey there, sorry we missed this! Yes, as others mentioned there will be a bit more warmth/bass due to the quality of the seal. It's hard to directly compare the performance to either foam/silicone. In terms of comfort, most find a custom to be the most comfortable you can get in an IEM.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #889 of 1,152
Got this little EP on repeat with Bonneville while doing some writing for a review, want more than 4 tracks as this is really nice stuff. Downtempo Hiphop Electronica fusion of sorts.
Shipping Bonneville to some friends soon so they can also experience the addictive sound, will be missed meanwhile :beyersmile:

DSCF4632.jpg

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #890 of 1,152
...want more than 4 tracks as this is really nice stuff. Downtempo Hiphop Electronica fusion of sorts.
Genre wise, right up my alley -- have all sorts of experimental electronic fused avant garde music...
Give this album a listen, might be more of what you're searching for...

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #891 of 1,152
Got this little EP on repeat with Bonneville while doing some writing for a review, want more than 4 tracks as this is really nice stuff. Downtempo Hiphop Electronica fusion of sorts.
Shipping Bonneville to some friends soon so they can also experience the addictive sound, will be missed meanwhile :beyersmile:

Thanks for the EP recommendation - I love these tracks! Literally listening to them now as I type this although I’m hooked up to Supermoon not Bonneville as I feel I’ve overindulged in the latter 😄👌🏻👌🏻

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #892 of 1,152
Genre wise, right up my alley -- have all sorts of experimental electronic fused avant garde music...
Give this album a listen, might be more of what you're searching for...

John Darko's playlists basically 😉

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #894 of 1,152
Finally got the BS! the most surprising product that CFA has brought to me over the years:clap:
passionate sound with a great sense of atmosphere, nicely done
IMG_20240315_130344.jpg

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #897 of 1,152
@-rowan- , @R7photo - interested in hearing the main difference between the Black Star and the other crew. I don't think I'll have access to the Chromatic series unless I'm able to attend a headphone meet that either features CFA or has someone who brought theirs. Unlikely for me.

Cascara has more bass, and consequently delicious note weight and physicality. Black Star’s bass is more controlled, textured and retains detail better in the lowest registers, although when pushed, it’s clear enough they are brothers from the same mother.

I don’t own Bonneville but I recall that its bass sounds like a more athletic version of Cascara’s with stronger technicalities. Overall it’s more spacious, detailed and textured. I like it. Upper harmonics are a pleasure, and mids and treble in particular come across as being more resolving than Black Star.

Black Star is more coherent though - it was immediately apparent to me that there are 2 or possibly more different drivers at work in Bonneville. Others have mentioned that it can be attenuated by cable rolling… and while Black Star sounds pretty coherent with its stock cable, I’ve realised that some pairings can show up its seams.

Black Star also has what I hear as the most dimensional staging, in particular the clearest expression of depth and height among the 3. Quite addictive, and one of the things I like most about it.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #898 of 1,152
Finally got the BS! the most surprising product that CFA has brought to me over the years:clap:
passionate sound with a great sense of atmosphere, nicely doneIMG_20240315_130344.jpg

Glad you're enjoying them! Love the cable color/packaging accents

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #899 of 1,152
Been listening to the BlackStar the past few weeks and really like it so far. I wanted something different than my Vega2020 without being too analytic and the BS hits that spot nicely.

They are a tad bass light on low volume so I need to play around with the DSP on the Mojo2

Attachments

• IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #900 of 1,152
I have always loved Campfire's designs and brand, but never had the chance to try them before.
I recently requested two demo units from Campfire — Supermoon and Bonneville. Here are my thoughts:
  • Love the packaging and the quality of everything.
  • Cables are a bit tangly/cheap feeling.
  • Supermoon sounded way too mid-bassy for my personal taste
  • Bonneville — it sounds fantastic overall — I really really enjoyed it and listened to it 10x longer than I listened to the Supermoon.
  • Only gripe with the Bonneville is that it still has a tiny bit of mid-bass bloat than I'd have liked. But the rest of it sounded fantastic, probably in the top 5 IEM's I've ever heard (not an exhaustive list).
  • Both of them hurt my ears with fitment (small ear canals), but were definitely a bit more comfortable than the 64 Audio Volür, Sony IER-Z1R and Universal EE Odin.
Overall I'd still love to try the Andromeda and some of the other offerings, and eventually own a custom CA set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back