Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jan 5, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2,386 of 5,394
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I like especially the soundstage aspect and a bit brighter sound without losing bass quality.

I'm tempted to give it a try but it won't be easy. Vegas are not sold on Amazon and at least here in Europe (Netherlands) I don't know where I can order having such an easy return window.

Budget allows it, but at almost twice the cost of the 846 I don't want to end up stuck with something that is good but just not amazing enough to my ears to justify such a price gap.

If I go "Whoa!", would regret a bit, but if its a "Hmm, they're really good... But not all that better than the 846"... Well, don't want to end up in a bad marriage. :wink:

also, it just so happens that one of the most informative threads on TOTL iems was started by Nic, who afaik, is based out of the nederlands :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826876/ranking-the-stars-flinkenicks-flagship-16-iem-shootout/200_50#post_13138441

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #2,388 of 5,394
Jan 5, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,389 of 5,394
  has anyone had issues with Campfire audio's customer support ? i 'm having an issue with express shipping , and they're not too helpful yet...

This is just a complete blind guess but they may be busy with CES this weekend??

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #2,391 of 5,394
The Vegas have arrived. I have to agree about tip selection. The foam tips they came with sound the best so far. Spinfits and Spiral Dots muck things up in differing ways. One thing I didn't notice at first, but is good, is that the nozzle is slightly angled, which makes fit quite comfortable.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #2,393 of 5,394
The Vegas have arrived. I have to agree about tip selection. The foam tips they came with sound the best so far. Spinfits and Spiral Dots muck things up in differing ways. One thing I didn't notice at first, but is good, is that the nozzle is slightly angled, which makes fit quite comfortable.

indeed. @KB has always been upfront that CA's iems are voiced to sound their best with foamies (with the exception of lyra and orion, iirc)

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #2,394 of 5,394
you took the leap of faith with the z1r, why stop now
wink.gif
?

Hehe, I'm a full-size can guy. And the Z1R was a bet without much risk. Easy to return (amazon) and by the time I got them I was well informed about what to expect and had experience to compare.

IEMs however, many are tricky to get out of amazon or similar, plus I have a lot less known stuff to compare with. Lacking enough references.

if i was you though, aside from not keeping the SE846, listen to what you have avaliable in the nederlands first, refine your preferences iem-wise and wait for the next Black Friday sale
wink.gif

i can't help but think that both Vega and Dorado would float your boat, perhaps more the Dorado.

Most likely I will not keep it. I fear I might regret it in the future, due to that lack of "Wow" factor at the moment. Might get used to them and start enjoying them more, but I don't think it will be enough to justify the cost. Not giving up yet tho. Still over a month left in the return window.

The Vega seems very interesting. Dorado too. Yesterday I was looking at a Vega online and it was about 1300 EUR. If it's really good, it would be worth it, but I don't really trust the shop. It's online only and they are not known for being easy with returns or service. In fact, they state they do not accept returns of headphones or earphones "for hygiene reasons", but since they are legally forced to do so, there is some fine print about a 10% Restock Fee for items that do not follow the guideline.

Too bad you can't just rent these toys for trials. :)

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,395 of 5,394
​I find Vega has a larger frequency range from the bass to the treble. The sub bass has more qty, way way stronger mid bass, smoother vocal and high extend further up there. The soundstage is way wider and deeper than SE846. Vega has more resolution and more details as well. Basically, SE846 is not in Vega league at all... its in Division 2 of the soccer league. The only thing better than Vega is SE846 is cheaper and comes with a pelican case while Vega is cardboard lol... Vega is also made of metal while SE846 is plastic.. and SE846 stock cable is cheap.. Vega comes with a superior cable.

I had se846 I tested side by side Andromeda ,The result was that se846 sold Since I did not used other with Andromeda.I also agree with my opinion se846 is not in the league vega.

This is my personal impression was not disrespectful to someone

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,396 of 5,394

This is just a complete blind guess but they may be busy with CES this weekend??

I don't think they're here in Las Vegas. I just came back from the show. Saw lots of interesting stuffs like new Astell&Kern product, Chord Hugo2 and Poli (my favorite atm), Utopia Focal with $4,000 all silver cable (lame)... Lots of people...  

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,397 of 5,394
Comply Tx400 or JVC are my go to tips for the Vegas

I had both. Tx400 all the way for me. Nothing can beat foam tip when it comes to bass. Slightly uncomfortable compared to silicon. JVC (you recommended to me :) was nice and comfy but I felt like missing about 20% of bass. Since I'm about to become a basshead, I got to stick with foam. I wish I could find a tip with comfy of silicon and bass of foam. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #2,398 of 5,394
I had both. Tx400 all the way for me. Nothing can beat foam tip when it comes to bass. Slightly uncomfortable compared to silicon. JVC (you recommended to me :) was nice and comfy but I felt like missing about 20% of bass. Since I'm about to become a basshead, I got to stick with foam. I wish I could find a tip with comfy of silicon and bass of foam. 

Try Sony combi tips or Trinity Audio Kombi tips - silicon outer with foam underneath. Good mix of isolation and fit if you are looking for a halfway house.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,399 of 5,394
I don't think they're here in Las Vegas. I just came back from the show. Saw lots of interesting stuffs like new Astell&Kern product, Chord Hugo2 and Poli (my favorite atm), Utopia Focal with $4,000 all silver cable (lame)... Lots of people...  

I emailed JD on wednesday and gave him my tracking number (returning vega) and he ackowledged my email. They must not have been there on Friday because the package had to be returned to the post office.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,400 of 5,394
I emailed JD on wednesday and gave him my tracking number (returning vega) and he ackowledged my email. They must not have been there on Friday because the package had to be returned to the post office.
He has employees right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back