Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #6,931 of 9,829
Well I did some exhaustive A/B’ing between the old and the new Andromeda last night with the DX220, stock amp 1 mk ii amp.

I a/b-ed the New Andromeda versus the old with cables (new/new cable, old/old cables, new/old cables) - and also included the Solaris and Vega in the mix.

Same tips, same dap.

Its hard to really say because my Andromeda is old an well used and from the first batch way back in 2016.

(Deleted as it started to turn into an essay. And i need to write it out fully).

Basically.....To my ears they have the same signature. The new Andromeda though seems to have more mids, even, coherant full bodied sound.
Very close though.

Who can tell if its new version vs original or just new vs old and well used? Not me. I’d need a recent (old style - unused) Andromeda to be sure.

More details when I write it all up properly

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #6,932 of 9,829
Well I did some exhaustive A/B’ing between the old and the new Andromeda last night with the DX220, stock amp 1 mk ii amp.

I a/b-ed the New Andromeda versus the old with cables (new/new, old/old, new/old) and also included the Solaris and Vega in the mix.

Its hard to really say because my Andromeda is old an well used and from the first batch way back in 2016.

(Deleted as it started to turn into an essay. And i need to write it out fully).

Basically.....To my ears they have the same signature. The new Andromeda though seems to have more mids, even, coherant full bodied sound.
Very close though.

Who can tell if its new version vs original or just new vs old and well used? Not me. I’d need a recent (old style - unused) Andromeda to be sure.

More details when I write it all up properly

Based on your words I'm guessing there were no differences between the two cables? Are you using the same tips? Maybe older tips won't seal as well and could lead you to hearing slightly less mids on the old Andros. Otherwise, I don't get why you'd hear a difference like that when Ken Ball himself has said there are no sonic changes, lol

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #6,933 of 9,829
Same JVC Spiral tips on both Andromedas

Cables are slightly different which is why I did New/New cable, original litz/original litz cable, original/new cable tests. As I have multiple of both cables.

Just reporting my ears findings.

Edited.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #6,936 of 9,829
I don't suppose the newer andromeda feels smaller in the ears? I have owned it three times. I love the sound but the fit is just ever so slightly too big for my ear to make it comfortable long term.
To all :) The refreshed Andro is made with a different (advanced/new) machining tech used for the housing, screws and spouts are stainless steel, mmcx pins are circular and insulated - answer from the CA when I have asked :).

So, no change in the size of housing or drivers tuning.

The cable is refreshed, lol.

May 7, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #6,938 of 9,829
If CA tried to make the shells smaller I guess they would sound completely different? Got to grips with these now: found a tip that stays put. But the Solaris looks much bigger again.
Completely different might be too strong word, but they would sound differently in case the inner space is changed, because it's a part of the "sound tuning". It might be not even possible to do so with the current 5 drivers.

I think it's much more likely that we see a new model :)

May 7, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #6,939 of 9,829
Completely different might be too strong word, but they would sound differently in case the inner space is changed, because it's a part of the "sound tuning". It might be not even possible to do so with the current 5 drivers.

I think it's much more likely that we see a new model :)
I know Andromeda doesn't use tubes, but from the picture of the disassembled one, it doesn't look like sound is allowed to enter the shell cavity and is instead directed to the bores. So I don't think making the shell smaller would affect the sound (as long as everything still fits, including the audio delivery path).
/speculation

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #6,940 of 9,829
I know Andromeda doesn't use tubes, but from the picture of the disassembled one, it doesn't look like sound is allowed to enter the shell cavity and is instead directed to the bores. So I don't think making the shell smaller would affect the sound (as long as everything still fits, including the audio delivery path).
/speculation
I can't argue, but based on what I know - the shape of the chamber around the drivers has an impact on the sound. I have also seen green Andromeda wide open - someone shared a picture here, I think. If it's like you're saying, the impact on the sound should be negligible, though.

Anyway, I don't expect Andromeda to be released with a smaller housing :) It will be like 5th modification of the design or so. I don't know any other IEMs to have that much facelifts :D

May 7, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #6,941 of 9,829
May 7, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #6,942 of 9,829
Anyone here try to get the stock CA cable with a different termination when they bought their new CA IEMs? I now have Vega, Atlas and Comet. I don't think IO will be what I want next. The new Andromeda looks to be my best bet to mate up with a DX220.
I have emailed CA about the change in termination.

May 8, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #6,943 of 9,829
I just wonder, were all those CNC mill lines of the older Andromeda design there because manufacturing process limitation or were they purely aesthetic choice? Is the newer design of the shells because manufacturers perfected their process or because they just felt Andromedas need a little design change?

May 8, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #6,944 of 9,829
I just wonder, were all those CNC mill lines of the older Andromeda design there because manufacturing process limitation or were they purely aesthetic choice? Is the newer design of the shells because manufacturers perfected their process or because they just felt Andromedas need a little design change?
That's a great question.

May 9, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #6,945 of 9,829
No reply to my Email and no-one answering the phone at CA and ALO. Do they shut down in the middle of the week??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back