Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #6,901 of 9,829
I assume that is what the ifiematch is, not sure about the DF red. I will do some research. Thanks for the post.

Props for doing research when confronted with a new topic, if only more people did that

Yeah, the iFi eMatch does this, I think it has a matching network to convert the OI down to 1 ohm (lightning adapter might be the same as well), and for the Andros, you want a source OI of less than 12.5/8 ohms

Though the iFi ematch has input impedance of only 16 ohms, which still doesn't seem high enough for the iPhone

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #6,902 of 9,829
I am still looking for some guidance on how to improve my Andromedas with my IPhone 7.

I recently sold my DX200 and I miss the nice smooth sound from it. The IPhone is pretty good really all considering but it can sound a bit harsh at times and not as musical as the IBasso. Maybe looking to add a bit of warmth?

After a lot of reading this site I have narrowed it down to the Ifiematch or the Dragonfly Red, but not sure if any of these will help.

Any guidance appreciated

I have used the iPhone X with the Apple dongle and the Iematch and it sounds really good. I have read that the dragonfly red will have hiss so you might still need an Iematch with the dragonfly.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #6,903 of 9,829
I have used the iPhone X with the Apple dongle and the Iematch and it sounds really good. I have read that the dragonfly red will have hiss so you might still need an Iematch with the dragonfly.

I have exactly this combo (but with the Ref-8 cable) and I can confirm that the sound quality is very good – much better than without the IEMatch!

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #6,904 of 9,829
Excellent guys, just the type of feedback I needed. I will order the iematch now . I will then probably have to come back on here to know what settings to use :wink:

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #6,905 of 9,829
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #6,907 of 9,829
Great idea!

... A sexy slow strip for all the dirty little boys out there ...

20190419_153122.jpg

20190419_153148.jpg

20190419_153215.jpg

20190419_153257.jpg

20190419_153334.jpg

20190419_153517.jpg

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #6,908 of 9,829
Hi guys, just wanted to ask a quick question about iFi's IEMatch tool as I'm planning to pair this up together with my Dragonfly Red. How would the total impedance output be affected? Would it be the sum of DFR's & IEMatch's total impedance output or is it just IEMatch's impedance out value?

Anyway, what's the (sort of) universal consensus on Andromeda's impedance output? 2-3 Ohms for a less-bassy signature?

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #6,909 of 9,829
This is just my best guess, but I think the ouput impedance of the iPhone is relatively high (couldnt find it for the 7, but iPhone 6 has OI of 4.5 ohms, which limits ya to headphones with impedance of more than 8x4.5 ohms). Combine that with low impedance of the Andro's (12.5), and you got yourself a bassless party
This isn't the case for the iPhone 7 - it has no headphone jack and uses the lightning dongle with an output impedance of around 1 ohm. It also measures VERY well considering the size and cost.

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #6,911 of 9,829
Does anyone have any experiences with the ref 8 on the Andromeda S? Reckon it will make a good pairing?
If you plan an sitting still, it might be an interesting option, but if you're going to move at all and you're not listening at max volume, then to me the microphonics completely outweigh any possible sound improvements.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #6,912 of 9,829
We are happy offer a updated Andromeda!!!

- new CNC shell
- new "smoky" litz cable
- new hand made leather zipper case
- new improved packaging

Andromeda-Banner---1000px.png

Andromeda-Case-for-Web.png

New-Smoky-Litz-Cable.png

Andro_box.png

The same awesome sound (NO sonic changes have been made) The shell is more refined in appearance, which has the same geometry but is more refined in appearance. All new cable with no memory wire by popular demand. The new smoky litz cable does have a memory heat shrink that has a formed bend but om internal wire. The new leather case is more ergonomic and padded.

For more information please see the product page HERE.

Thank you for your support!

Ken

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 25, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #6,913 of 9,829

- new CNC shell
- new "smoky" litz cable
- new improved packaging

The same awesome sound (new sonic changes have been made) The shell is more refined in appearance, which has the same geometry but is more refined in appearance. All new cable with no memory wire by popular demand. The new smoky litz cable does have a memory heat shrink that has a formed bend but om internal wire. The new leather case is more ergonomic and padded.

Ken
So it's now more scratch resist ?

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #6,914 of 9,829

- new CNC shell
- new "smoky" litz cable
- new improved packaging

The same awesome sound (new sonic changes have been made) The shell is more refined in appearance, which has the same geometry but is more refined in appearance. All new cable with no memory wire by popular demand. The new smoky litz cable does have a memory heat shrink that has a formed bend but om internal wire. The new leather case is more ergonomic and padded.

Ken

So it’s the same sound or it’s a new sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back