Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Feb 21, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #9,346 of 9,829
Hi folks
Can you make a suggestion for a mobile dap for my Andro Golds which is close to the referende tuning of my beloved brick DX220 Max?
Imho the Andro Gold are giving enough warmth to compensate the reference brightness of the DX220 max.
I tried the new DX300 but for my taste it was not resolving enough and had a slightly blown mid bass I found too strong on the Andro Gold.
I somehow came to the conclusion that I want a reference DAP for my full size cans and a smaller really mobile solution for my Andros on the go for < 1000 bucks...

The new DAP should play his free and have an acceptable performance for streaming apps (currently on Tidal but might opt for either Quobuz or Amazon Music HD in future).
Apropos Tidal: Would be great to have full MQA unfolding like Hiby r8 but not sure if that is feasible in that class.
Currently running the Qudelix 5k for mobile usage which I find unbeaten for its low price but compared to the max it's missing Dynamics and clarity of course

Some models I had in mind:
DX160?
SR25?
Thx in advance for your suggestions.

Alternatively it can also be a smaller DAC like Paw s1 which I can pair to my IPhone 11 Pro but should be really tiny then to not carry 2 bricks and fulfill the above mentioned criteria
SR25 has my vote. I love everything about it... The design and form factor are great for out and about and its battery life is unbelievable. Sound quality is worse than my SE200 but still very good! It was on par with my Kann Cube in terms of detail retrieval out of the Balanced output so its really quite good for the money. And on top of that, it really works quite well with all the Campfire IEM's I have.... like they were built for each other more than any other IEM's I've tried them with.... and no hiss!

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #9,347 of 9,829
Thx for your feedback!
Do you have streaming experience with it or just playing local files?
Unfortunately my local library is limited and I am wondering about the SR25 streaming performance.
I have Netgear Orbi setup at home, so limited WIFI antennas are not the bottleneck.
I will casually listen to music in Corona times at home and download for offline playback on the go.
Will that work with SR25?
How about MQA unfolding in Tidal?
Thx!

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #9,348 of 9,829
Thx for your feedback!
Do you have streaming experience with it or just playing local files?
Unfortunately my local library is limited and I am wondering about the SR25 streaming performance.
I have Netgear Orbi setup at home, so limited WIFI antennas are not the bottleneck.
I will casually listen to music in Corona times at home and download for offline playback on the go.
Will that work with SR25?
How about MQA unfolding in Tidal?
Thx!
I mostly use the embedded Tidal app. I do also use the downloaded app in order to play offline files when out and about. It works flawlessly with downloaded offline files as well as local files. Complete transparency though, I have been having some issues with the embedded app skipping songs around two thirds of the way through them. It is sporadic and there is no pattern to this. for every 20 songs, I'd say it happens to around four or five of them... and then I'd have a period of them playing normally for a while. It's quite strange and annoying and I'm expecting AK to bring out a patch sooner rather than later to fix this. I believe its a well known issue on the official thread. With that being said, this issue hasn't stopped me enjoying the sound of the device, loving its design and build quality and keeping it.

I believe individuals have some issues with the Wi-fi connectivity as well, I can't say I have this issue (Although my skipping issue may be due to this? I'm really not sure). I tend to download the files for offline usage and use it this way and that way any issues with skipping and wifi are completely nullified.

EDIT: Just read the rest of your post. It's likely you will have little to no issues with regard to wi-fi in that case. I cannot say for certain. I'm unsure of its MQA unfolding capabilities (may be worth asking this in the official thread), but I do know that the downloaded app sounds just as good as the embedded app. This can't be said for either the Kann Cube and SE200 though which I found strange, I think it may be due to the updated Android version used on the SR25.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #9,349 of 9,829
Currently listening to Tidal on my MacBook Pro through my iFi Diablo, and it sounds excellent. Don't think that'll meet your requirements though, as it's really more transportable than portable. I also have the S1 that I use with my iPhone and iPad, and it sounds quite good as well, though not at good as the Diablo (not really a fair comparison). I think it'll be close to what you want, though it can be a little sensitive to EMI. I do like that I can use it with balanced cables on my AGs.

I've also been waiting on the US release of the Luxury & Precision W2. If it does not suffer from EMI problems (the W1 apparently does not) and renders MQA (doubt it'll do the full decode in a dongle), I'll probably pick one up. I find the dongle more convenient than a separate DAP (I have the iBasso DX220, but I've been trying to sell it) for listening on the go.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #9,350 of 9,829
I am currently using the HiBy R5 with my Andromeda 2020s and can recommend that pairing. Drives them easily and no background hiss. I have also tried pairing them with the DX160 and returned that player due to background hiss and Wi-Fi interference.

Hi folks
Can you make a suggestion for a mobile dap for my Andro Golds which is close to the referende tuning of my beloved brick DX220 Max?
Imho the Andro Gold are giving enough warmth to compensate the reference brightness of the DX220 max.
I tried the new DX300 but for my taste it was not resolving enough and had a slightly blown mid bass I found too strong on the Andro Gold.
I somehow came to the conclusion that I want a reference DAP for my full size cans and a smaller really mobile solution for my Andros on the go for < 1000 bucks...

The new DAP should play his free and have an acceptable performance for streaming apps (currently on Tidal but might opt for either Quobuz or Amazon Music HD in future).
Apropos Tidal: Would be great to have full MQA unfolding like Hiby r8 but not sure if that is feasible in that class.
Currently running the Qudelix 5k for mobile usage which I find unbeaten for its low price but compared to the max it's missing Dynamics and clarity of course

Some models I had in mind:
DX160?
SR25?
Thx in advance for your suggestions.

Alternatively it can also be a smaller DAC like Paw s1 which I can pair to my IPhone 11 Pro but should be really tiny then to not carry 2 bricks and fulfill the above mentioned criteria

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #9,351 of 9,829
I went for a used SR25 and will let you know once I got it end of this week
Am not expecting miracles regarding wifi performance but anyway want to download playlists and listen to them on the go offline.
Am a bit afraid though that the high output impedance > 1 ohm will make the Andro Golds lose bass performance

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #9,352 of 9,829
I want to take a full size and an IEM, both (almost) TOTL and just stick with those.

I have Chord Mojo and Dragonfly Cobalt and as a full size I chose Hifiman Ananda.

As IEM I am mainly considering Andromeda and Sony IER-M9 ... has anyone compared the two?

Plus I see several Andromeda versions around (Gold, 2019, 2020) which is the best option?

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #9,353 of 9,829
I want to take a full size and an IEM, both (almost) TOTL and just stick with those.

I have Chord Mojo and Dragonfly Cobalt and as a full size I chose Hifiman Ananda.

As IEM I am mainly considering Andromeda and Sony IER-M9 ... has anyone compared the two?

Plus I see several Andromeda versions around (Gold, 2019, 2020) which is the best option?

I compare the two here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/post-16025053

2020 has the most balanced sound out of the Andromedas, as it tames some of the 8kHz peak (so less treble energy but with excellent extension) and adds ear compensation. I believe most of the stuff up-to-and-including the 2019 model is supposed to be sonically identical with some small exceptions here and there. The SS sports a slight variation on the original tuning, and the Gold should be treated as a separate IEM entirely. There's also a Japan exclusive model, the MW10, but no one has graphed that, so I can't comment.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #9,354 of 9,829
quick feedback after I got my SR25 today: bass and body is lacking with my Andro Golds running balanced, seems the output impedance of 1,6 Ohm is indeed far too high.
IFI IEMATCH solves it partly, need to double the volume to get 1 Ohm and I always have the feeling that some frequencies are missing at the end.
So I am afraid that SR25 will go back although I liked its form factor very much!

Any other suggestions for a mobile balanced solution hiss free and keeping some bass slam and body of my Andro Golds?
Happy with my DX220 Max tuning but that's no device to be carried around...
- Paw S1
- Dragonfly Cobalt (but no balanced out...)

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #9,355 of 9,829
quick feedback after I got my SR25 today: bass and body is lacking with my Andro Golds running balanced, seems the output impedance of 1,6 Ohm is indeed far too high.
IFI IEMATCH solves it partly, need to double the volume to get 1 Ohm and I always have the feeling that some frequencies are missing at the end.
So I am afraid that SR25 will go back although I liked its form factor very much!

Any other suggestions for a mobile balanced solution hiss free and keeping some bass slam and body of my Andro Golds?
- Paw S1
The Paw S1 is pretty hard to beat. It pairs very well with all the Andromeda’s I’ve tried, including Gold. OI is low and no hiss.

I’m also looking at getting a Luxury & Precision W2 when that comes out to potentially replace S1. The double DAC and more power sounds promising. Might be worth keeping an eye on that or the lower model W1 which is already out.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #9,356 of 9,829
Until I heard the Shanling M8 the S1 was my favorite source for Andro by far. The M8 though, with it's inky black background and meaty detailed low end is a whole other level imho

- Paw S1

Maybe try the SE out? It almost always has a lower OI and I doubt you need the extra power of balanced for something like Andro.

The Paw S1 is pretty hard to beat. It pairs very well with all the Andromeda’s I’ve tried, including Gold. OI is low and no hiss.

I’m also looking at getting a Luxury & Precision W2 when that comes out to potentially replace S1. The double DAC and more power sounds promising. Might be worth keeping an eye on that or the lower model W1 which is already out.

Do you have any more info about the W2? The idea of a mini-DAC with more power sounds alluring.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #9,357 of 9,829
Until I heard the Shanling M8 the S1 was my favorite source for Andro by far. The M8 though, with it's inky black background and meaty detailed low end is a whole other level imho

Maybe try the SE out? It almost always has a lower OI and I doubt you need the extra power of balanced for something like Andro.

Do you have any more info about the W2? The idea of a mini-DAC with more power sounds alluring.
Here’s the thread :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/luxury-precision-lp-portable-usb-dac-amp-w1-and-w2.949448/

Looks as though preorders have just opened in China. Hopefully worldwide release isn’t too far off.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #9,358 of 9,829

Shanling M8, yep, I can imagine
That's somehow also my issue: My DX220 Max is not completely hiss free but still very silent (far more e.g. than the new DX300 which I had for a short time).
Dynamics, clarity and slam is reference for my Andros but unfortunately not mobile

Considering the fact that out smartphones are powerful enough, can host all the nice players and streaming clients I think I am also looking into the dongle direction now for on-the-go...w
Now that you are making me hot on the new W2 I almost want to wait for it to be available for ordering as I cannot find Paw S1 in Europe reseller-web sites away...

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #9,359 of 9,829
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #9,360 of 9,829
I wrote earlier about DFC vs S1 and for me DFC easily wins and is worth the extra money ... but maybe Andromeda which is very sensitive could work better on S1?

One more thing, I have read that Andromeda are quite large in size, I have had IEMs with huge shells (TRI I3) and have never been able to find good comfort and fit.

Has anyone had such problems with Andromeda?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back