Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #9,361 of 9,829
I wrote earlier about DFC vs S1 and for me DFC easily wins and is worth the extra money ... but maybe Andromeda which is very sensitive could work better on S1?

One more thing, I have read that Andromeda are quite large in size, I have had IEMs with huge shells (TRI I3) and have never been able to find good comfort and fit.

Has anyone had such problems with Andromeda?

The S1 is an absolute revelation with Andro-- don't hesitate on it if you have the opportunity. Also, size is relative-- Andro is positively dainty next to some other IEMS (Solaris, MEST, Z1R etc.)...I've not known its size to be a particular problem for many.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #9,362 of 9,829
The S1 is an absolute revelation with Andro-- don't hesitate on it if you have the opportunity. Also, size is relative-- Andro is positively dainty next to some other IEMS (Solaris, MEST, Z1R etc.)...I've not known its size to be a particular problem for many.
+1

S1 and Andro are like a match made in audio heaven. If I’m listening to an Andro, I will always reach for the S1 over any other DAP/DAC/Amp.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #9,363 of 9,829
+1

S1 and Andro are like a match made in audio heaven. If I’m listening to an Andro, I will always reach for the S1 over any other DAP/DAC/Amp.

Same prior to hearing the M8 (which has as black a background and better everything else) the S1 was my favorite source for both Andro and Solaris. It's truly remarkable.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #9,364 of 9,829
found a shop offering the Paw S1 :beerchug:
Last question: Does it do full MQA unfolding? has anyone tried Tidal on iPhone and Paw S1?

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #9,366 of 9,829
Nice! It does do MQA unfolding but not the full unfold. It does MQA x4 which to my understanding is the 2nd unfold.

I am using Tidal on iPhone with Paw S1 :)
Thx!
Considering the small form factor I think 2nd unfold is good enough for me, have you tried other services like Amazon Music HD or Quobuz with it with Hires FLACs?
How do you find the tuning? Suitable for EDM, Rock keeping the Andro Gold slam?
Looking into the Paw S1 thread also Dragonfly Cobalt is discussed to have better dynamics and the S1 being more musical.
Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Wondering what is the better match for Andro Gold, though only S1 is offering the balanced out...

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #9,367 of 9,829
Thx!
Considering the small form factor I think 2nd unfold is good enough for me, have you tried other services like Amazon Music HD or Quobuz with it with Hires FLACs?
How do you find the tuning? Suitable for EDM, Rock keeping the Andro Gold slam?
I haven’t tried any other services unfortunately. Here in Australia we don’t have access to Amazon HD or Quobuz (last time I checked at least) so Tidal is my only lossless option :frowning2:

If you’re a fellow bass lover (it sounds like you are!) then the S1 with AG won’t disappoint :wink: I mainly listen to EDM so high quality bass slam is a must for me too.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #9,368 of 9,829
One word of warning about S1 with Andro’s: Just be careful when playing around with the gain setting if you have your Andro’s plugged in and in your ears. The jump in volume between low and high gain is MASSIVE and I wouldn’t be surprised if it damaged someone’s ears if they weren’t careful.

If I’m using a 4.4mm cable and in high gain, literally the first volume step is already at my loudness tolerance.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #9,369 of 9,829
One word of warning about S1 with Andro’s: Just be careful when playing around with the gain setting if you have your Andro’s plugged in and in your ears. The jump in volume between low and high gain is MASSIVE and I wouldn’t be surprised if it damaged someone’s ears if they weren’t careful.

If I’m using a 4.4mm cable and in high gain, literally the first volume step is already at my loudness tolerance.
in Low gain though it's tolerable and the S1s own volume steps are granular enough?
Guess it's indeed wise to only use these and not iPhone volume slider as I know the iPhone slider 's steps are really too large...

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #9,370 of 9,829
in Low gain though it's tolerable and the S1s own volume steps are granular enough?
Guess it's indeed wise to only use these and not iPhone volume slider as I know the iPhone slider 's steps are really too large...
Yeah, the low gain steps are much better. To give you an example, on low gain I use approx vol 25, which is quieter than vol 1 in high gain.

Once it’s plugged into iPhone, the iPhone slider is disabled and all volume control is done on the S1

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #9,371 of 9,829
Yeah, the low gain steps are much better. To give you an example, on low gain I use approx vol 25, which is quieter than vol 1 in high gain.

Once it’s plugged into iPhone, the iPhone slider is disabled and all volume control is done on the S1
Guess their developers knew why they disabled the IPhone slider 😂
I will post some impressions once I got the S1...

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #9,372 of 9,829
Any other suggestions for a mobile balanced solution hiss free and keeping some bass slam and body of my Andro Golds?
I'll chime in to endorse the Paw S1, in my case with the Andro 2020. @Rockwell75 kindly gave me an excellent recommendation there - I've been meaning to post impressions and thank him properly. Thanks, man.

If by "mobile" you don't mean wireless streaming, the Sony NW-ZX2 might suit your preferences for slam. I can't speak for the Gold but the OG and the 2020 both sound excellent out of it - impactful, great macrodynamics. Of course, it's only available used these days but you can find ones that still have reasonable battery life (if not being used for streaming...)

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #9,374 of 9,829
Man I miss my Andromedas. I wish I never sold them.

Sellers remorse is a real thing with Andromeda. The longer I listen to my Golds, the more they grow on me and the more I don't want to sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back