Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Dec 6, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #6,346 of 9,829
Yeah I saw that earlier today but I testing the Solaris further to see if burn in improves it since Crinacle hasn't had time to burn his in yet. I'm also slightly concerned about being biased now that I've seen the chart lol
Just remember that measurements aren't the be-all-end-all, and that sound is subjective. Hopefully for your sake, you start to enjoy them more and if not, you can always sell them.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #6,347 of 9,829
It's tough for me to know what exactly you are referring to when you talk about sparkle. In my case, after quite a bit of A/B testing, the S ended up being the more complete/natural/even sounding headphone. By comparison, I thought that on the Green the vocals were quieter and I heard them coming from further back on the imaginary stage. With the S they were closer and louder, perhaps a bit too close/loud, but overall this painted a more natural picture to me than the Green. And I loved the Green (still do actually). In fact, the S got me excited because of its look & build, and at the time I was hoping that the sound changes would be negligible.

If this is such a critical point for you, perhaps you really should try them out for yourself.

I may not even be sure what I'm talking about when I say sparkle :p of all audio terms sparkle is probably one of the most subjective ones. I already found the vocals on the Green to be pretty loud so maybe S might be a suitable match. I go on leave from work from Christmas a little over a week from now so I might go demo them in person

Just remember that measurements aren't the be-all-end-all, and that sound is subjective. Hopefully for your sake, you start to enjoy them more and if not, you can always sell them.

I still have a return window at Hifiheadphones so I'm going to keep testing, as you said measurements arent the end all

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #6,348 of 9,829
IDK, my 1000M is burning in nicely, and suddenly my SE846's aren't sounding so bad after all... I'm going to audio46 in the city Saturday to demo the Andromedas to what's what, I've read so many good things about them...

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #6,349 of 9,829
It's tough for me to know what exactly you are referring to when you talk about sparkle. In my case, after quite a bit of A/B testing, the S ended up being the more complete/natural/even sounding headphone. By comparison, I thought that on the Green the vocals were quieter and I heard them coming from further back on the imaginary stage. With the S they were closer and louder, perhaps a bit too close/loud, but overall this painted a more natural picture to me than the Green. And I loved the Green (still do actually). In fact, the S got me excited because of its look & build, and at the time I was hoping that the sound changes would be negligible.

If this is such a critical point for you, perhaps you really should try them out for yourself.
I think I read that is exactly the point of the tuning of the SS; to bump up the vocals a tad.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #6,350 of 9,829
IDK, my 1000M is burning in nicely, and suddenly my SE846's aren't sounding so bad after all... I'm going to audio46 in the city Saturday to demo the Andromedas to what's what, I've read so many good things about them...

Yes, SP1000 breaths a new life into every iem, change se to balanced cable and it adds more. When you are going audition Andromeda I advise to use balanced out as it is 1ohm instead of 2 for se. Adds more "meat" to Andro and you like 846 so it will make Andro sound better for you I think.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #6,351 of 9,829
Yes, SP1000 breaths a new life into every iem, change se to balanced cable and it adds more. When you are going audition Andromeda I advise to use balanced out as it is 1ohm instead of 2 for se. Adds more "meat" to Andro and you like 846 so it will make Andro sound better for you I think.
I already use the balanced out on my Litz cable. I'm not convinced at this point I need to replace the 846's, but now i'm looking at the Atlas!! I will try to listen to several IEM's this Saturday. But for me to replace the Shure's, the up grade would have to impress me. I really like the 846 sound signature, but I understand the emphses is on the bass and the mids. If I can find something with the 846's bass and mids, with better highs, I will pull the trigger.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #6,352 of 9,829
I somehow knew I just didn't have the right ear tips despite my very limited experience with IEMs. So I scoured the internet and ordered some Symbio W's yesterday. However, what I really wanted to use though were my Westone Starfit (red) ear tips. My sister was able to help me put them on my UE900s and it made them sound SOOO much better, so I thought if only I could put them on these... I'm sure they'd be the right ones for me. I like that they're long enough so I don't have to jam them in my ear like the spinfits (and final audio tips). It might be my ear shape but it's really a problem for me. The Symbio W's looked really short too, so I was worried about that part as well.

Seriously, it took 30 minutes of struggling to put them on. I even accidentally tore one of them while I was trying to stretch it to make it easier to put on. orz But wow was it worth it! I read so many threads and some people mentioned about having a super narrow stem? (sorry I really don't know what they're called) for wide bore IEMs will make everything sound compressed/narrow or something as well. Totally NOT true! It actually did just the opposite, it opened it right up, I heard a lot more details and everything sounded SO much better. Again, I am not sure if this is because of my ears but that's how it was like for me.

I thought, I was the only weirdo. I've been using start tips on wide bore iems for the past 5 years.

7767411.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #6,353 of 9,829
I thought, I was the only weirdo. I've been using start tips on wide bore iems for the past 5 years.

Haha, there are probably others who have done it too - just didn't post about it. Though probably not many lol. I don't think a lot of people would be patient enough to force these on wide bore IEMs. The symbio's haven't arrived yet but I'd be doubtful they'd be better for me, and also admittedly I don't know if I want to take these off and try the symbios... maybe one day (not that they've arrived yet anyway in any case lol).

---

CABLE UPDATE

I'd like to give an update on the Penon GS849 cable paired with the Andromeda S. It really wasn't a good match overall when I plugged them into my CV5 (w/ 6832 tube). It was way better without the amp. I plugged it straight into my iPhone 6 and it's definitely a small upgrade compared to the stock cable.

I say small, but personally it made a huge difference for me. Just that little boost in clarity plus impact made me enjoy the songs that much more. That extra punch to the bass and the overall smoothness left a better, lingering impression for me as it moves on to the next note. It rounded the sound off quite nicely too I might, so there's even less harshness. I can also hear sounds that weren't all too visible with the stock cable as well.

Was it worth the $179 USD? For me? Yes. For others though? Maybe only for those who are looking for an extra oomph and are aware of that or they know what they're expecting.

I'm quite a particular/picky person in general so what may be a big deal to me may not be so much to others haha. Objectively, it's at least around a 20% upgrade or improvement to the sound. Subjectively, it's around 30-40% improvement when it came to my listening enjoyment. It's good for those that enjoy bass but not too much of it, while maintaining (or slight improvement even, to) the coherence the Andromedas already have.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #6,354 of 9,829
How does everyone feel about memory wire with the Andros? I'm considering removing mine, but don't want to remove it and find out that I hate it without.

I don't currently mind it all that much besides the extra space during storage.

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #6,355 of 9,829
Hey guys,

What would you recommend between the Spinfits and the Spiral Dots for the Andromeda? I want the best seal possible but also the most comfortable ones.

Thanks for your help!

I've no experience of either of those (they're difficult to get over here) but from all the tips I've so far tried I'm torn between Symbio Mandarines which have been peeled and Comply Comfort TS-400, I've been using the 'peeled' Symbios for a few weeks on my Andromeda Green and rate them sonically, superb across the spectrum though a little light on bass and (for my ears) not perfectly comfortable, however they are far more comfortable than the 'unpeeled' version. I never got on with standard Comply foam tips on my previous iem's but was curious enough to buy a pack of their premium tips to try. I only tried them for an hour yesterday, but when fitted they seem to have the largest diameter opening* for the speaker ports which is a huge huge plus, sound & seal is stunning and they are so very comfortable to wear

I've attached some not very good quality photos of the Comply Comfort tips to show bore sizeIMAG1039.jpg IMAG1036.jpg IMAG1038.jpg IMAG1040.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #6,356 of 9,829
How does everyone feel about memory wire with the Andros? I'm considering removing mine, but don't want to remove it and find out that I hate it without.

I had the Atlas cable (no memory wire) for a week with my Andromeda and I have to say that I prefer having the memory wire. Without it, the cable tends to move around a bit too much for my liking. Obviously, a very subjective opinion, but that's what you asked for. :)

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #6,357 of 9,829

I found it too bulky, rigid and overly awkward to contour around my ears, much prefer Forza Audio's (Hybrid iem cable) solution, also really didn't like how thin and tangly the OE Andromeda cable was

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #6,358 of 9,829
So today I went up to Audio46 and picked up the Andromeda SS, and I couldn't be happier!

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #6,359 of 9,829
Hey y'all. Just wondering if this is a problem exclusive to me or not. During a passage in Taylor Swift's "Love Story" at 2:55-3:00, when she enunciates outskirts, it sounds slightly...static-y or distorted on my Andromeda S. Also sounds like it on my Katana and ER3SE.
I'm hearing this on the FLAC and Spotify versions. Not sure if this is just the track being mastered that way.

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #6,360 of 9,829
Hey y'all. Just wondering if this is a problem exclusive to me or not. During a passage in Taylor Swift's "Love Story" at 2:55-3:00, when she enunciates outskirts, it sounds slightly...static-y or distorted on my Andromeda S. Also sounds like it on my Katana and ER3SE.
I'm hearing this on the FLAC and Spotify versions. Not sure if this is just the track being mastered that way.

Just checked and I hear the same thing on spotify - your ears and gear are fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back