Campfire Audio all new Polaris
May 7, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #76 of 187
If you want some extra bass I'd probably go with the Polaris over the Andros. The Andros (in my opinion of course) are fairly neutral. Being a basshead I did not really enjoy them. Again, this is subjective. I recommend you go to Canjam and try em out, Ken usually offers a pretty nice in show discount too if you want to buy them there
Thanks so much. I actually have an email to CA asking if they sell at the show, so you answered that for me. (It will be my first CanJam). A show discount would seal the deal.

May 7, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #77 of 187
Thanks so much. I actually have an email to CA asking if they sell at the show, so you answered that for me. (It will be my first CanJam). A show discount would seal the deal.
No problem! Yea, I've gone the last two years and they've been selling at the show. I think they bring a handful of each model, I don't know how many but if you want to guarantee picking one up I'd probably go early on.

May 7, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #78 of 187
Campfire offered a show discount at CanJam NYC, even on the Solaris which I bought at the show. If you want to take them home from the show, I would recommend arriving at the show opening on the first day to give the IEMs a listen. That way you can make a decision and purchase before the CA team runs out of the stock they bring to the show. Otherwise you'll have that "painful" wait until they arrive at your home. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #79 of 187
It's due to the open port on their shell. Some IEMs have this in various places to vent air moving inside the shell. It varies per IEM, but some are more prone to wind noise than others due to placement or how big the port is.

Ok tried IT. Smal piece of tape over the hole cures the problem, no more wind. No noticable sound difference in my ears.

May 8, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #82 of 187
I got the new Polaris recently; my only other experience with CA is with the Lyra II, of which I LOVE the sound (very coherent, solid, massive), but cannot ever get a fit. UIEMs in general are consistently poor fits for me anyway.

The Polaris fit a lot better, but... I got the Lyra II at a significant discount, and the Polaris ended-up costing MORE as a result. In-reality, I find the Lyra II sound better to my ears.
It doesn't make the Polaris a bad IEM, but I felt somewhat disappointed...

There's definitely a familiarity to the sound, with the Polaris a little less powerful perhaps. I've not listened to the Lyra II in months due to the fit issues so I could be wrong.

May 8, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #83 of 187
I will pick the Lyra II for sure. Not that I don't like the subwoofer, It's hella fun! But Polaris can't compete in micro-details, separation of instruments, and speed which for me it's worth the $100. It all comes down to what music genre and personal preference. But at the same time if I've never listened to Lyra II before I would be happy with the Polaris.
Interesting, I had the Lyra II and loved them but ultimately at times I wanted more bass the treble was too much for me to turn up.

Would love to compare the Polaris II to my AKG N5005, if you are in the SF area (as your location seems to suggest lol)

May 10, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #84 of 187
So...if I could get a used Lyra II in great condition for about 350€ or the new Polaris for 600€, which should I take? I mostly listen to jungle, drum & bass, techno and ambient music. I like a good bass and crisp treble.

May 10, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #85 of 187
So...if I could get a used Lyra II in great condition for about 350€ or the new Polaris for 600€, which should I take? I mostly listen to jungle, drum & bass, techno and ambient music. I like a good bass and crisp treble.

Given your music tastes, I'd probably suggest the Polaris 2. It's been a while since I heard the Lyra 2, but the treble is more laid back and subdued on the Lyra. The Polaris 2 also has more presence down low, so will give more of a subwoofer effect than the Lyra.

This is all from memory, so please take this with a pinch of salt - I believe there are other users on here who have both, so they should be able to give you a more up to date comparison.

May 16, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #86 of 187
Campfire offered a show discount at CanJam NYC, even on the Solaris which I bought at the show. If you want to take them home from the show, I would recommend arriving at the show opening on the first day to give the IEMs a listen. That way you can make a decision and purchase before the CA team runs out of the stock they bring to the show. Otherwise you'll have that "painful" wait until they arrive at your home. :)

Do you know how much discount they give? I live in Oregon and I'm planning to go down to CA for an audition. I could at least ask them for the discount. Thanks

May 17, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #87 of 187
Do you know how much discount they give? I live in Oregon and I'm planning to go down to CA for an audition. I could at least ask them for the discount. Thanks

Unfortunately I can't remember what discount they had for their various IEMs. I bought the Solaris and got $100 off, which was a different discount since it's new and their TOTL IEM.

May 25, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #89 of 187
Hoping to get some feedback for the new Polaris 2. I'm opposite of what most want in regards to isolation. The less isolation the better for me. I work in an office and I need to be able to hear my phone and coworkers. Very, very few truely open back IEM's exist one of which is IMR Acoustics R1(and R1 Zenith) with an R2 releasing soon. I'm going to be returning my R1 Z as I'm not happy with it. There's also the more known Audeze iSine line and the UM ME.1 which both look ridiculous to me, can't stand the design.

How am I looking here for isolation, will I have any luck with different tips or is it fully isolating like most are? Sound leakage is another factor which I'd like a minimal amount to escape (for night time listening with the wife laying beside me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back