Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #10,036 of 19,136
  It's so silly to think that just because a vintage receiver hasn't been completely recapped and torn down that it is inferior to one that has. If you get them serviced by a shop that knows what they are doing and gets everything back into spec you are just as well sometimes even better off then if you had paid for a full recap. Most of the caps aren't still in production so they have to get something close which isn't always so close! 

There are some caps inside no longer obtainable - my guy expressed this. Also, the one or two he did replace went well. And the amp returned very good specs on the bench; plays/sounds like it should, was his opinion. He's an old-timer and been working on '70's amps since, well... the '70's. 
rolleyes.gif

In keeping the amp, just thought I'd seek to get baby rejuvenated. There could come a time where the end-of-life appears for a cap and maybe I'll wish I had done something. Like a caring parent. 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #10,040 of 19,136

I wish he'd put a picture of it up! man I hate those kinds of CL people! in your opinion though, 2270 or this 2240B better? 

If I had the choice, I'd go 2240b (was $500 74-76 ). The 2270 ($600 71-73) may be more collectable if the condition is good. But I'd wager the later model will sound better :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #10,041 of 19,136
There are some over at audiokarma, but they have long waiting list. Skylab have a guy he deals with I think. There are a coupe of local people I know, but it's not a job they are willing to take on without paying close to a grand to do it.

My guy is a Pioneer guy...he is great but I'm not sure where he would do Sansui or not. He did an absolutely killer job on my SX-1980.

It's so silly to think that just because a vintage receiver hasn't been completely recapped and torn down that it is inferior to one that has. If you get them serviced by a shop that knows what they are doing and gets everything back into spec you are just as well sometimes even better off then if you had paid for a full recap. Most of the caps aren't still in production so they have to get something close which isn't always so close! 

This isn't really a good full picture. Electrolytic caps WILL fail. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. It's true, if you want to have a tech REMOVE every single electrolytic cap from the circuit board, test it, and then solder it back in if it tests OK, you could, but why? They will still eventually fail, and before they do, they will go out of spec and stop working correctly.

Not only that, but many of these units had other design issues that are known and documented that need to be addressed. Examples are the problematic Dolby board of the Sansui "DB" units, and the power supply boards in the SX-1980. These need to be fixed or there WILL be trouble.

A complete recap is NOT about having it perform "better" than one that is not recapped - although it may well do just that. For me the complete recap and restore is about knowing that the unit in question will very likely last another 25-30 years.

I have stated my personal opinion here before however that recapping is probably only worth paying someone to do on higher end units. It's not really worth it on less expensive ones - better to just enjoy those while they last, and then if they fail, buy another, as they are not so expensive. Or of course for someone who likes doing that sort of work themselves and knows how, then it may make sense to do a less expensive unit.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #10,042 of 19,136
+1 on that!

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #10,043 of 19,136
One other comment on this issue.  Some of the parts available today are truly better.  An example of this can be replacing signal path electrolytic caps with something like Nichicon Gold Tunes - this made a huge improvement in sound in my Sherwood receiver.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #10,044 of 19,136
I wish he'd put a picture of it up! man I hate those kinds of CL people! in your opinion though, 2270 or this 2240B better? 

Go with the 2240b. The late 70s Marantz are durable and sound incredible. I have a 2252b and it's the best amplifier I've ever heard/used and I work in a Magnolia Home Theater. The earlier 70s Marantzes are good but usually aren't as nice sounding, also usually need some more work.

Speaking of my Marantz, some dude is selling a serviced one for $600 on eBay. Good lord. I spent like $200 on one in pristine condition.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #10,045 of 19,136
Go with the 2240b. The late 70s Marantz are durable and sound incredible. I have a 2252b and it's the best amplifier I've ever heard/used and I work in a Magnolia Home Theater. The earlier 70s Marantzes are good but usually aren't as nice sounding, also usually need some more work.

Speaking of my Marantz, some dude is selling a serviced one for $600 on eBay. Good lord. I spent like $200 on one in pristine condition.

Unfortunately someone bought it. always someone huh? :/

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #10,046 of 19,136
I got an email from M&S music telling me that my SX-780 is back in action and "sounds great", and all at a reasonable price. I'll probably head into the city to get it sometime this weekend.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #10,048 of 19,136
  Anyone have a favorite integrated amp here?
I am super stoked for the Pioneer SA 9900 I just bought on the ol' auction site, but would like to flesh out a collection sometime soon.

Pioneer SA-7100/8100/9100 are IMO the best all around vintage integrated amps.
Simple, elegant and musical. 

Your 9900 is basically a SPEC integrated- very sweet!
It is much more of a robust studio piece -designed to be moved around and used on site etc.
IIRC it was not originally designed just for home audio (although they might have made an option wood case), hence the handles and side access to speaker taps & inputs.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #10,049 of 19,136
Found some Normal Model 10 speakers on the local CL listed at $175; has anyone heard them?

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #10,050 of 19,136
  I got an email from M&S music telling me that my SX-780 is back in action and "sounds great", and all at a reasonable price. I'll probably head into the city to get it sometime this weekend.

Thats good news!

Anyone have a favorite integrated amp here?
I am super stoked for the Pioneer SA 9900 I just bought on the ol' auction site, but would like to flesh out a collection sometime soon.

Sansui au-505, I'm a big fan of the early 70's Sansui sound. Congrats on the Pioneer, if that's your first vintage then you've struck gold! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back