Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #9,946 of 19,143
  Just got my NAD 3020i today, no pics because they are very dull to look at. I'm loving the sound though.

I actually like the clean black looks of the unit, but to each his own.

I'd love to find something vintage with such a dark background as you describe; one of my pet peeves with any older gear or lower-end DACs and amps is static hiss, even if it's a very small amount.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #9,947 of 19,143
  I actually like the clean black looks of the unit, but to each his own.

I'd love to find something vintage with such a dark background as you describe; one of my pet peeves with any older gear or lower-end DACs and amps is static hiss, even if it's a very small amount.

Yeah its something that bugs me as well. I found in general that later models tend to sound quieter. Say late 70's early 80's. Don't know if this has just been coincidence or if there is something in it. Maybe more effort was put into the hp outs as the years went by as headphones changed from being only 8 ohms same as speakers to higher ohm's.

My two quietest amps have been after 1980. Problem is, my best sounding amps are all from the 70's...

Had more time with my NAD 3020i tonight and I'd highly recommend it as a headphone amp. It has a very 70's sound (big bass, rich and smooth) and they were produced right up until the 90's. So all the parts inside have a good chance of still being very good.  I can see why these were one of the greatest amps ever made. Paid £62 (approx $80) Bargain!  

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #9,948 of 19,143
I found a Marantz 2015 locally for $125 that had a service recently. Is it worth that?

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #9,949 of 19,143
  I found a Marantz 2015 locally for $125 that had a service recently. Is it worth that?

I'd say thats a fair price. If the condition is good, thats a classic Marantz. If possible try it before buying :)

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #9,950 of 19,143
mad.gif
 Baby Sinister got problems. The first such suffering of any kind. Was recently serviced - all pots, nooks, crannies cleaned and lubed.  I'm dealing with a channel imbalance at the volume control.

Since Friday, when I initially turn on the diminutive receiver (Sansui G-22000), the left channel is absent. Turning the volume knob well past normal listening levels returns the sound in the left channel. The first 20 minutes can be premature - when I turn it back down, sometimes the sound will go again. Or everything is fine until a track ends with decreasing volume. Then the new track starts with missing sound again.

I've been lucky that as I approach 30 minutes listening, all seems well, with no further incidents. Not sure what to make of it. And YES, the HE-6 is off my head when I need to blast the volume to return sound in the missing channel. Usually only takes 1-1.5 seconds.

I swapped in the HD650 to confirm it's the receiver and not the HE-6. It's the former...

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #9,951 of 19,143
Won an auction on a small Kenwood KA 2000A.

Dimensions: 260 x 105 x 237mm

Actual pic from seller.

I'am sucker for amps that resemble my vintage Stax amps, due to the small form factor I plan to take it with as a portable amp while I commute through the CBD on public transport.

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #9,952 of 19,143
:mad:  Baby Sinister got problems. The first such suffering of any kind. Was recently serviced - all pots, nooks, crannies cleaned and lubed.  I'm dealing with a channel imbalance at the volume control.

Since Friday, when I initially turn on the diminutive receiver (Sansui G-22000), the left channel is absent. Turning the volume knob well past normal listening levels returns the sound in the left channel. The first 20 minutes can be premature - when I turn it back down, sometimes the sound will go again. Or everything is fine until a track ends with decreasing volume. Then the new track starts with missing sound again.

I've been lucky that as I approach 30 minutes listening, all seems well, with no further incidents. Not sure what to make of it. And YES, the HE-6 is off my head when I need to blast the volume to return sound in the missing channel. Usually only takes 1-1.5 seconds.

I swapped in the HD650 to confirm it's the receiver and not the HE-6. It's the former...

Sorry to hear this bud. I just finally solved my Spec 2 amp channel scratchiness issue after two months! Mine ended up being cold solder joint issues. Guy re soldered the entire amp board and problem gone. That's the price of owning these old pieces........they're old.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #9,953 of 19,143

due to the small form factor I plan to take it with as a portable amp while I commute through the CBD on public transport.

Good thinking. I hope you get a seat....

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #9,954 of 19,143
Another headamp..

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #9,955 of 19,143
Sorry to hear this bud. I just finally solved my Spec 2 amp channel scratchiness issue after two months! Mine ended up being cold solder joint issues. Guy re soldered the entire amp board and problem gone. That's the price of owning these old pieces........they're old.

rolleyes.gif
 Yeah......... noted. Her sound. Her prestige. She's definitely worth
thumbsup.gif
taking in!

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #9,956 of 19,143
Good news! I contacted M&S music and got the contact info of their repair person, so there is still hope yet for my SX-780. Unfortunately, the costs are probably going to slice into my timetable for buying an Alpha Dog (I strictly budget myself for audio each month).

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #9,957 of 19,143
  Good news! I contacted M&S music and got the contact info of their repair person, so there is still hope yet for my SX-780. Unfortunately, the costs are probably going to slice into my timetable for buying an Alpha Dog (I strictly budget myself for audio each month).

Don't worry - there is currently a six week backlog, so ordering now won't get you them much sooner than ordering later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #9,958 of 19,143
Hey Silent One - I know you recently had your G22000 cleaned and lubed, but in any case, did you try exercising ALL (and I do mean all) of the buttons, knobs, and switches repeatedly like 10-20 times to see if that resolves the issue? There is almost no amount of cleaning old controls which will eliminate the stray bit of gunk dislodging and making something intermittent, and your problem does present as one that could be caused by that...

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #9,959 of 19,143

Actual pic from seller.

I'am sucker for amps that resemble my vintage Stax amps, due to the small form factor I plan to take it with as a portable amp while I commute through the CBD on public transport.

i grew up with that amp in the 80s. it weighs a ton though. i dont think it would be suitable for portability! well done on getting it though.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #9,960 of 19,143
Hey Silent One - I know you recently had your G22000 cleaned and lubed, but in any case, did you try exercising ALL (and I do mean all) of the buttons, knobs, and switches repeatedly like 10-20 times to see if that resolves the issue? There is almost no amount of cleaning old controls which will eliminate the stray bit of gunk dislodging and making something intermittent, and your problem does present as one that could be caused by that...

ph34r.gif
 Don't make me say it. But, maybe all the people that come in contact with the receiver and fondle-flick-turn-press every knob she's got, might 
tongue_smile.gif
 be on to something. Will give it a go after dinner...

Update:

Went round-n-round the volume knob 48 times. The AUX selector 36; Balance knob 36. No changes to report. Looking back, it has just occurred to me that the past few months, I have been on tour slingin' the Sansui & Pioneer onto luggage carts and bumpity bump through hotel parking lots. Frequently, as I changed towns and suites.

Lack of proper foam/iso supplies could have jarred something loose. My receivers were no longer boxed but naked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back