Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #9,481 of 19,143
Quote:
I purchased a Kenwood amp on Ebay (more about this after it arrives, including pictures, the auction pictures were poor, which is why it ended up being a good deal... it had a excellent review with headphones a couple of years ago in this thread).   It is missing the power cord, which plugs into:

Anyone know where I can get one of these?  Is there a name/term/jargon for this specific two-prong cord, so that I can search for it ?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, it could be a "mod" - the bottom of the receptacle appears to overlap the white line while the top does not, which might indicate a job done by hand (perhaps due to original cord breaking at the entry point).  But same questions still apply.

whenever the terms "cord" or "cable" come up my first stop is monoprice.check there first.

congratz on the kenny.  are you willing to divulge the model at this time?

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #9,482 of 19,143
Quote:

let us know how that goes. Klipsch Heritage horns have a tendency for harshness toward the top end & as such, loves good quality tubes esp. SET. they're super efficient so 5-10W drives em to house rumbling levels. would love to know how it goes with Sansui's penultimate TOTL monsta receiver. 

That's true for some of them, but not all. And even more confusing, it's true for some of the same models and not all. The original cornwall don't suffer from the harsh highs, but the cornwall II are totally different which is why klipsch went with a much better titanium diaphragm in the cornwall III. The same can be said for the heresys. There a many different versions of those as well with the current version also using titaniums.

But on the plus side, even the heritage speakers that does suffer from harshness in the highs, there are upgrades. Bob crites makes upgraded diaphragms for pretty much all of them, and they are a huge upgrade over the stock ones. They are pretty cheap too. He's pretty much an icon in the klipsch community. His tweets are capable of producing some of the most life like highs I've heard while remaining silky smooth as well. His crossovers a pretty awesome too.

Diving into some heritage klipschs does take a bit of research, But it's well worth it. They are the best value I've ever encounter in speakers, meaning a good properly setup pair can compete with modern speakers costing thousands with a total investment of only a few hundreds. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #9,483 of 19,143
Quote:
whenever the terms "cord" or "cable" come up my first stop is monoprice.check there first.

congratz on the kenny.  are you willing to divulge the model at this time?

It looks similar to an IEC inlet sans the ground prong.  I have not seen this type before though.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #9,484 of 19,143
@moodyrn, i bought an Audio Space Galaxy 300b amp in anticipation of getting a pair of LaScalla's, LaBelle's or even a good Cornwalls. however that idea went down the drain (for now) since i got meself a pair of Yami NS1k. 

i understand exactly what u said about vintage speakers being fantastic values. my NS1k can compete with alot of higher end speakers that i have heard....AND i dont even have them properly set up as yet!!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #9,485 of 19,143
Quote:
Since you did not have a smiley, I can only assume that either you are of the "everything sounds the same" crowd, or you have heard the Conductor and dislike it.

The Essence STX is better than DACs costing less than $99, otherwise there is no way that it can compete with the DAC in the Conductor.  Even more so if you use the USB cable to create an asynchronous connection to the Burson DAC (which makes a big difference IMHO).

To Mikelap - having read some more about the Burson Conductor, their philosophy is to use discrete design - no opamps or ICs - so it makes even more sense that their amp sounds similar to 1970s electronics because those are also discrete.

If you are serious about trying the LD with the Pioneer, then the best way would be:

PC (via USB) -> Burson -> LD -> Pioneer AUX input

all using RCA interconnects (except for the USB).  That keeps the number of connections to a minimum.

I don't belong to any particular "crowd." But I happen to believe that opamps and inexpensive DACs can sound as good as (or the same as) DACs buried within discrete circuits. Using a 70's vintage Pioneer receiver as an amplifier, I doubt if the difference between the Burson DAC and the Asus DAC matters - if it exists at all.

All my opinion, of course.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #9,486 of 19,143
This current setup I'm using is really something. The ODAC feeding the Pioneer SX-750 powering an AKG Q701 is really sounding great. It's truly in a different league than what I've used before. Both separates easily blow the E17 out of the water. To top it all off, the whole setup was pretty inexpensive. $40 for the SX-750, $115 for the ODAC, and $240 for the Q701. For just under 400 bucks it's truly incredible.

The detail, resolution, and speed are unreal. The bass with the bass knob at +2 is really surprising, considering how most people view the Q701' bass. I'd say at this point it's just slightly north of neutral along with plenty of lower end extension, and along with the great texture they are known for. If anything, the ODAC seems to have smoothed out the Q701's sometimes edgy treble, while still being just a tad bright and very revealing. The mids are still right where they should be and also very detailed.

I am very very happy with this current setup. But of course, we will see how long it takes before I get the desire to upgrade again.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #9,487 of 19,143
Using a 70's vintage Pioneer receiver as an amplifier, I doubt if the difference between the Burson DAC and the Asus DAC matters - if it exists at all.

All my opinion, of course.

So you are saying that since he is using a vintage Pioneer as an amp that the signal being fed to it doesn't matter? You're saying the Pioneer isn't worthy of a good source?

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9,488 of 19,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't belong to any particular "crowd." But I happen to believe that opamps and inexpensive DACs can sound as good as (or the same as) DACs buried within discrete circuits. Using a 70's vintage Pioneer receiver as an amplifier, I doubt if the difference between the Burson DAC and the Asus DAC matters - if it exists at all.

And you live in the NW .... hmmm ....
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #9,489 of 19,143
So you are saying that since he is using a vintage Pioneer as an amp that the signal being fed to it doesn't matter? You're saying the Pioneer isn't worthy of a good source?

No, Im saying that, in my opinion, the differences in sound between boutique discrete products like the Burson Conductor and mainstream products like your ODAC and SX-750 are way overblown by many audiophiles. 95% of what we hear is determined at the very beginning and very end of the chain, ie: the recording in the studio and the transducer in your home. The other 5% gets an inordinate amount of attention, money, and drama from audiophiles.

I will say that with a 40 year-old receiver of unknown history, there is a strong possibility that it probably isnt performing at 100% without a complete restoration.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #9,491 of 19,143
Quote:
That's true for some of them, but not all. And even more confusing, it's true for some of the same models and not all. The original cornwall don't suffer from the harsh highs, but the cornwall II are totally different which is why klipsch went with a much better titanium diaphragm in the cornwall III. The same can be said for the heresys. There a many different versions of those as well with the current version also using titaniums.

But on the plus side, even the heritage speakers that does suffer from harshness in the highs, there are upgrades. Bob crites makes upgraded diaphragms for pretty much all of them, and they are a huge upgrade over the stock ones. They are pretty cheap too. He's pretty much an icon in the klipsch community. His tweets are capable of producing some of the most life like highs I've heard while remaining silky smooth as well. His crossovers a pretty awesome too.

Diving into some heritage klipschs does take a bit of research, But it's well worth it. They are the best value I've ever encounter in speakers, meaning a good properly setup pair can compete with modern speakers costing thousands with a total investment of only a few hundreds. 

Truly +1 to Moodryn's excellent post.  

I  found the cornwall Is to be slightly shouty with certain rock recordings only (digital 24bit flac) in my smallish room (12 x 14) with pergo floors and an area rug.  Symlhony, acoustic and jazz sounded amazing right off the bat.

My Cornwalls are from 1975.  I went to Bob Crites and bought new crossovers and tweeters for about $250 total.  Boy what a difference.  Bass is much more tight and hits harder.  Highs are much more smooth and natural with all music.  Best $250 I've spent on speakers yet!

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #9,492 of 19,143
Quote:

congratz silent!

if i am ever back in SoCal i know where im stopping!  i want to see pics of the setup for sure!

blink.gif
 And leave that fantastic volume of vintage wares behind just to check out my humble investment? Sure, come on down. If I'm to take this stuff out of storage, then we might as well have a mini-mini... mini-meet and call a few head-fier's up!

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #9,493 of 19,143
i have a question  for you guys which involves a Pioneer SX750 a littledot mk3 that i want to use as preamp with the Pioneer and the Burson Conductors dac out to go to computer is it possible to set this up ill include picture of the 3 amps  . Thanks                                                                                                                                                 

Do not use the little dot as a preamp unless you are 100% positive that there are DC blocking caps on the input of your amp. There are no output caps for the preamp outs. Theres a chance you could blow your speakers with a big surge of DC.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #9,494 of 19,143
Oh Boy, don't get me started a Silent - Mini - Head-fi -Meet would be one for the ages!  G-22000 ... check,  don't need to go any further 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back