Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #8,221 of 19,143
Getting in a Marantz 1060 later this afternoon.

It'll be the first Marantz I've tried or heard, so looking forward to that. Am thinking about possibly using it as a preamp into a HK 730, as I've heard the pre is the weaker part of the 730 (compared to the amp).

Or it may replace my Yamaha CR-220 for backup headphone amp duties. We'll see, depends on how it sounds compared to the other pieces.

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #8,222 of 19,143
I should've listened when doing research on the ST-120. Though I bought the Dynaco PAT-4/ST-120 combo discussed a few pages back mostly for headphone listening through the PAT-4, I really liked how the ST-120 made my Missions sound.

But woudn't you know, the moment I attempted to start my second listening session of the day the ST-120 decides to go into crazy-overpower mode and now is busy vibrating and humming all over my desk. It made the dreaded POP through the Missions, and now those Missions aren't saying anything at all. I hope that I just blew the ST-120 and not the speakers, though I wouldn't be surprised if I've destroyed both.

EDIT: I've isolated the problem to the ST-120. I'm not good with electronics, so can anyone give pointers on what the problem likely is?

With an amp that old, it could be any number of things. IMHO, the ST-120 isn't a good enough amp to spend a lot of money fixing. Now if you had a Dyna Stereo 150, that was a much nicer amp. But a stock 120 was really kind of thin/bright/etched, sort of the worst of early solid state.

One of the reason there is so much love for mid-late 70's vintage solid state is that this represents a period of time where the woes of early solid state had been addressed in most respects and in fact many SS amps/receivers from this era were actually quite on the warm side.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #8,223 of 19,143
Quote:
Well here in the Netherlands there aren't many second to top of the line vintage amps for sale. Lots of Marantz 2216, Pioneer SX-450, Marantz 2226 and of course a couple SX-535.

What's so special about rotel?

I'd personally go for Pioneer or Marantz. I have a Marantz 2216b and Pioneer sx550 and they both wipe the floor of my Rotel RA 712... 

Horses for courses, but if you can get near to 150 euros for a 2216, 2226 then go for it. About 50-100-120 euros for SX450 550 650 for good condition.

Both my Marantz and Pioneer have a warm yet detailed sound that is very forgiving. I also wouldn't assume that they will need recapping. I would only do this if absolutely needed. Caps are very cheap and electricians can make a mint servicing amps that don't really need it :wink:     

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #8,224 of 19,143
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #8,225 of 19,143
Quote:
I found the RX-802 for 60 euros. Does the RX-802 come close to RX-803? What are the differences?

They are very different:
google is your friend: 
http://thestereoclub.blogspot.com/2008/06/rotel-rx-802-receiver.html
http://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/rotel.html
http://www.hifi-studio.de/hifi-klassiker/rotel.htm (2/3 down the page you will see pics and specs of both 802 and 803.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #8,226 of 19,143
Quote:
I'd personally go for Pioneer or Marantz. I have a Marantz 2216b and Pioneer sx550 and they both wipe the floor of my Rotel RA 712... 

Horses for courses, but if you can get near to 150 euros for a 2216, 2226 then go for it. About 50-100-120 euros for SX450 550 650 for good condition.

Both my Marantz and Pioneer have a warm yet detailed sound that is very forgiving. I also wouldn't assume that they will need recapping. I would only do this if absolutely needed. Caps are very cheap and electricians can make a mint servicing amps that don't really need it :wink:     

Quality caps are not exactly cheap.  In fact they can be rather expensive.  Just my 2 cents.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #8,227 of 19,143
Quote:

Quality caps are not exactly cheap.  In fact they can be rather expensive.  Just my 2 cents.

Hear what you are saying, but if you hand your amp/receiver into get serviced... Are you guaranteed to get quality caps unless you specify before hand? I'm just being devils ad for noobs :)

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #8,228 of 19,143
You are correct - you need to be going to a quality service outfit to make sure you get quality stuff.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #8,231 of 19,143
They are very different:
google is your friend: 
http://thestereoclub.blogspot.com/2008/06/rotel-rx-802-receiver.html
http://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/rotel.html
http://www.hifi-studio.de/hifi-klassiker/rotel.htm (2/3 down the page you will see pics and specs of both 802 and 803.

So I guess the RX-802 is not worth the money?

I found something else: A pioneer SX-750 taking bids, the highest bid currently is 40 euros and the seller says the lights don't work and the amp has a slight buzz in the sound.
Would that be fixable?

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #8,232 of 19,143
Quote:
It is a wonderful amp, very spacious, clear and it makes my headphones really vibrate! 

Was in to drop my Spec 2 amp off to Doug after all - the scratchiness came back and it's just not right so he's on it.  Saw this while I was in today...............and thought of ya.

Nice.................

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #8,233 of 19,143
Been doing a bit of A/Bing with my Pioneer SX550 and Marantz 2216a tonight trying to decide the winner... 
size]

I love the sound out of both with the hd800's, but the Pioneer has that certain something... It's the warmth mixed with great detail, hard to explain but it just sounds soo musical! Kind of like smooth milk chocolate. The marantz has the warmth as well, but is more mid-centric and richer sounding. Maybe chocolate with raisins in..? It's also a little more closer sounding. More in your face. But its the smoothnesss that is instantly more likeable to me with the pioneer.. Maybe playing better with the hd800's ?  
The pioneer seems to have looser bass.. But it extends more. More sub bass. The marantz has more mid bass and has a little more punch and authority. Both amps have amazing treble, both sweet. But the nod goes to the pioneer for having less edge, where as the marantz shows a little hardness with raw recordings. However, the pioneer is a fraction 'brighter' at the top.
Its very close though... I'd be happy with either as a long time keeper. I used my Dacmagic for comparison because its the most neutral dac I own.

in a nutshell ; the Pioneer is more refined, smooth and dynamic (boring to some!). The Marantz more engaging and richer (fun?).  My music preference is for classical and jazz so that's maybe why I prefer the former. The latter is probably better for rock. dunno? 

Not much of a review, but I tend to find in general the more you think about it the more you let your mind wander too much and stray from what you actually heard... So short and sweet and let the things you instantly notice stay apparent!  

Just thought I'd share this as they are both in the same price bracket.  

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #8,234 of 19,143
Quote:
Been doing a bit of A/Bing with my Pioneer SX550 and Marantz 2216a tonight trying to decide the winner... 
size]

I love the sound out of both with the hd800's, but the Pioneer has that certain something... It's the warmth mixed with great detail, hard to explain but it just sounds soo musical! Kind of like smooth milk chocolate. The marantz has the warmth as well, but is more mid-centric and richer sounding. Maybe chocolate with raisins in..? It's also a little more closer sounding. More in your face. But its the smoothnesss that is instantly more likeable to me with the pioneer.. Maybe playing better with the hd800's ?  
The pioneer seems to have looser bass.. But it extends more. More sub bass. The marantz has more mid bass and has a little more punch and authority. Both amps have amazing treble, both sweet. But the nod goes to the pioneer for having less edge, where as the marantz shows a little hardness with raw recordings. However, the pioneer is a fraction 'brighter' at the top.
Its very close though... I'd be happy with either as a long time keeper. I used my Dacmagic for comparison because its the most neutral dac I own.

in a nutshell ; the Pioneer is more refined, smooth and dynamic (boring to some!). The Marantz more engaging and richer (fun?).  My music preference is for classical and jazz so that's maybe why I prefer the former. The latter is probably better for rock. dunno? 

Not much of a review, but I tend to find in general the more you think about it the more you let your mind wander too much and stray from what you actually heard... So short and sweet and let the things you instantly notice stay apparent!  

Just thought I'd share this as they are both in the same price bracket.  

Keeping both?  Do you have a couple of listening stations?  I have 5 now.  I am addicted to vintage audio.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #8,235 of 19,143
Guys,

The ONE thing about vintage audio that is less than optimal is the lack of remote control (for us lazy folks like me - the rest of you can carry on).

I found a solution at least for playing iDevices.  Audioengine has a W2 system for $49 (with a receiver and sender combo) that plugs into the bottom of your iPod/iPad/iPhone and transmits to the receiver unit that is plugged into the wall as well as into your vintage receiver (in my case the Aux 2 RCA ports).  The sender allows you to hold your iDevice near to you, pick songs/playlists/Pandora or whatever and not only change stations/songs, etc, but YOU control the volume with your iDevice.  So you set your stereo to the peak volume you'd want it to play at and throttle down the iPod volume as your mood or the song dictates.

Anyone try this yet?  I've got two of them - one in my Pioneer rack system and one downstairs by my recliner at my main listening station. 

Hope this helps someone!  It works great! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back