Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #8,192 of 19,143
Hey guys, just a heads up for you all. The guy that I bought my Sansui 9090db from is selling off more stuff!! The most intriguing is a Pioneer sx-1050. I saw and heard it. A fair assessment is that it's in the best condition of any sx-1050 that I've seen and that includes ebay. If I didn't love my Sansui so much, I'd jump on this. 

The problem is that the guy knows what it's worth. He wants $650 and is in the TN area. If anyone is interested just PM and I'll pass on the info. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #8,193 of 19,143
I recently tripped over a SX-1250 for $650! As I stood up and gathered myself...:

Owner: Sir, are you okay?
SO:       Yes sir! Thanks or asking. How's your Pioneer, is it okay?
Owner:  Still looks and plays like 1976!

And before I could utter another word - or sound - I realized I was broke. 
size]
 And someone would own it by the time I came back with the money.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #8,194 of 19,143
Quote:
I recently tripped over a SX-1250 for $650! As I stood up and gathered myself...:

Owner: Sir, are you okay?
SO:       Yes sir! Thanks or asking. How's your Pioneer, is it okay?
Owner:  Still looks and plays like 1976!

And before I could utter another word - or sound - I realized I was broke. 
size]
 And someone would own it by the time I came back with the money.

The 1250 is the one I am on the prowl for - mainly because of the build quality.  But, I too seem to have a shortage of funds at this time.
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #8,195 of 19,143
Quote:

The 1250 is the one I am on the prowl for - mainly because of the build quality.  But, I too seem to have a shortage of funds at this time.
frown.gif

Before reading this thread, I noticed great deals & steals ALL the time but I was only interested in building up my headphone rig. And no, I didn't put 2 & 2 
size]
 together. It took my neighbor and fellow member 'shipsupt' to bring home a silver-faced SX-650. 

I saw his iron, started following his accounts of different cans he plugged-in. Then came my following his interest in this thread, which soon became my own. I'm still kickin' and screamin' at some of the monster amps I walked by with indifference. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #8,196 of 19,143
Don't blame me for that monster you now own!  
evil_smiley.gif

The 650 was my gateway, and the 950 has been a suitable upgrade for me.  "Luckily" being in the UK has kept me from continuing down this dangerous road you all travel... but on my return it will be hard not to start to look again.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #8,197 of 19,143
Ok, so I opened the 950 tonight and to my "delight" I found a blown fuse at the mains.  It looks to be a 6A 250V.  I don't have one that large in my stash, so I'll have to grab one, but glad to see it should be an easy fix.

I only hope that the cause was my old RCA's from the Hydraulic Reference turntable.  Speaking of, I removed the tonearm last night and I'm sending it to be completely refurbished at http://www.smetonearms.com in Canada.  I thought of taking on the project myself, but for the money they can do a much better job of it and it will be like new when it gets back to me.  They'll get rid of that silly DIN connector on the 3009 pedestal and leave me with fresh new wiring from cartridge to RCA's in addition to the full refurbishment of the mechanical parts.

Here is the bottom of the 950 opened up:

And the blown fuses right where the mains enter the chassis:

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8,199 of 19,143
Quote:
Don't blame me for that monster you now own!  
evil_smiley.gif

The 650 was my gateway, and the 950 has been a suitable upgrade for me.  "Luckily" being in the UK has kept me from continuing down this dangerous road you all travel... but on my return it will be hard not to start to look again.

I do... but, only in the manner one would trace 
rolleyes.gif
 footsteps. Perhaps, your next L.A. visit, you can "spin the dial" and "flip the switches" and all the other playful things on the undersized
normal_smile .gif
 Sansui. 

Glad you met only a blown fuse! And watch your fingers and toes, that iron looks heavy.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #8,200 of 19,143
Quote:
Oregonian. I got the KA-7100 a little bit ago at the audio specialties place. It was a 7100. I'm glad I got the matching amp for my KT-8300 now
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome!  Congrats to ya! 

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #8,202 of 19,143
So now that i have the beautiful Klipsch Cornwall I's Playing with the Realistic I find it a little bright with certain music, like live rock, and im thinking a vintage Sansui migt be the ticket (without having to go to tubes)

I originally was thinking the au-717 (which goes for $300-400 on the Bay), but i found someone local selling a G-6000 for under $200 and am now considering it. Anyone have familiarity with either or that can offer an opinion? i want that classic Sansui warmth to tame my horns.

Thanks

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #8,203 of 19,143
Quote:
So now that i have the beautiful Klipsch Cornwall I's Playing with the Realistic I find it a little bright with certain music, like live rock, and im thinking a vintage Sansui migt be the ticket (without having to go to tubes)

I originally was thinking the au-717 (which goes for $300-400 on the Bay), but i found someone local selling a G-6000 for under $200 and am now considering it. Anyone have familiarity with either or that can offer an opinion? i want that classic Sansui warmth to tame my horns.

Thanks

Sansuii's or a vintage Kenwood. If you're looking for a monster, a KR9600 can be had for about $400, or a model Eleven for maybe $300.

Side note - I made the mistake the other day of jinxing it by telling my wife I was in a really happy place with my main audio setup (SX-1980 with 2 each XR-14, XR-16 McIntosh speakers). Not even an hour later I heard a great loud snap and saw a flash of light and a trickle of smoke come out of the SX-1980. Right over an unobtanium output transistor. I unplugged it and opened it up to take a look, pulled out some dust bunnies and hesitantly turned it back on since I didn't see any obvious damage. AANd it worked perfectly, thank frikkin' goodness. Anyways, I took it in to the shop to figure out what the heck happened. Long story short, it was just a slightly loose and under-insulated high rail supply wire arcing to ground on the metal cover of the output transistor. It was re-insulated and cleaned up, good as new.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #8,204 of 19,143
Wow, that is scary. I'm glad it was not a big deal.

I don't need a monster. I want some 70's Solid State warmth to tame the forward and sometimes shrill horns on my cornwalls. They are really efficient so wattage is secondary.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #8,205 of 19,143
Quote:
Wow, that is scary. I'm glad it was not a big deal.

I don't need a monster. I want some 70's Solid State warmth to tame the forward and sometimes shrill horns on my cornwalls. They are really efficient so wattage is secondary.

Pioneer SA-7100 (1974) is my favorite simple low power amp.

Sounds great like it's big brothers but less frills and stuff inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back