Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #7,936 of 19,142
Spent a bit of time with the Marantz last night and today and I'm yet again astounded by the quality of sound... Trying to do a bit of a/bing with my Pioneer but its hard because I have to change the cables etc. But I think I'm leaning slightly in favour to the Marantz at this stage. I think it is a little faster sounding, a little sweeter in the treble. Bass is the same on both. Also I can turn the Marantz right up to 3 oclock before I start to get any signs of hiss. With the Pioneer there is always a very slight hsss as soon as the volume is turned on. This is when no music is playing. Think this is going to be me done for a while... Wife said she's a bit sick of all the decks (decks!?) in the living room and now the bedroom... I've got my Pioneer on my bedside table hahaha MuhahaHAHA! (I think it looks nice and the wood matches the table :D. I've told her that vintage Marantz don't come round very often, but there's millions of whinging women out there..    

Anyone notice that I have custom knobs! 

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #7,938 of 19,142
Quote:

I'm sure your wife is pleased.

beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #7,940 of 19,142
Quote:
Got a Modi in the mail today and slapped it on top of the now much cleaner Sansui, the pair are a ******* treat to listen to 
atsmile.gif

Lookin good, modern dac and old receiver. Works for me too 
size]

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #7,941 of 19,142
LugBug1 said:
 Spent a bit of time with the Marantz last night and today and I'm yet again astounded by the quality of sound... Trying to do a bit of a/bing with my Pioneer but its hard because I have to change the cables etc. But I think I'm leaning slightly in favour to the Marantz at this stage. I think it is a little faster sounding, a little sweeter in the treble. Bass is the same on both. Also I can turn the Marantz right up to 3 oclock before I start to get any signs of hiss. With the Pioneer there is always a very slight hsss as soon as the volume is turned on. This is when no music is playing. Think this is going to be me done for a while... Wife said she's a bit sick of all the decks (decks!?) in the living room and now the bedroom... I've got my Pioneer on my bedside table hahaha MuhahaHAHA! (I think it looks nice and the wood matches the table :D. I've told her that vintage Marantz don't come round very often, but there's millions of whinging women out there..    

Anyone notice that I have custom knobs! 

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #7,944 of 19,142
Okay, I got all three front lights working (thanks again Skylab). The entire cabinet is redone in a nice walnut hardwood. Lastly, the two small rectangular pieces of wood on the front corners are being re-sanded and then varnished. After that, I will only stare longingly at my wonderful receiver while I enjoy the music. 
size]

Until I buy the next piece of vintage gear.  (Sansui...shhh, don't tell the wife). 

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #7,945 of 19,142
Awesome! Glad I was able to help a little. When it's all back together please post some additional pics!

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #7,947 of 19,142
Mind you this is unfinished...be nice.

That looks great! I have one, would love to look at some real wood - but frankly it's in great shape and it seems to work with the "veneer" ha ha

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #7,948 of 19,142
What cable are you using to connect to the speaker taps? Homemade cable?

Thank you
Daniel

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #7,949 of 19,142
Quote:
Well, the teac bx500 arrived and except for a faint crackle in the volume pot which appears now and then it is in the condition the seller promised me it would be in. That is to say, very good, all the pot meter (alps) are fine, no channel imbalance, the vu meters work and so do the lights. With the muting (20dB) on, the vu meters move up and down quite nicely.

This one is a surprise soundwise because it is significantly more transparent, spatious and open than my other vintage gear. If you fiddle a bit with the tone controls, you'll get that typical 70s sound out of it (warm, comforting, but detailed and powerful), but in 'neutral' it is not warm at all. I am getting used to it as we speak, but I have been pleasantly surprised, both by the quality and the signature of the sound. And being somewhat of a cheap skate, by its ridiculous price of 25 euros. It may be a bit too trebly for me in with all the controls on the zero, but that's easily remedied.  I'm inclined to think teac amps are a bit of a sleeper!

I am listening through a k500 and a fostex 20rpv2 btw. It drives both of them effortlessly. It is only too trebly with the k500, I just found out. The fostex is much darker by nature.

Hi, I've just get a couples weeks ago a Harman Kardon PM655 Vxi, and just find that the left channel is a little unbalanced, where should I look first? Capacitors?or else, the amp if perfectly balance on the headphone output
Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #7,950 of 19,142
Quote:
Hi, I've just get a couples weeks ago a Harman Kardon PM655 Vxi, and just find that the left channel is a little unbalanced, where should I look first? Capacitors?or else, the amp if perfectly balance on the headphone output
Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel

Did you try deoxit? The dirty little controls of this amp cause a lot problems, I have PM665. If you don't know what Deoxit is, try search on this thread. Hope this help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back