Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #6,976 of 19,136
Quote:
Or picked up for $7 and a plea to get it out of the basement while an estate sale winds down. Or found intact in a recycle bin.

I've witness these things happen, um, first hand. So to speak. 

Amen.  I got my Kenwood KR-9600 and the JBL L100 speakers for $20 for the lot about 11 years ago. Yard sale. They agreed when I said they should be cheaper because they were heavy...

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #6,977 of 19,136
Quote:

I thought I was back just in time this afternoon to make preparations for the Men's title game: Louisville & Michigan. Instead 
blink.gif
 there's a MAJOR fight underway brewing inside the listening room. A bit of background first. In the past year, I had been saving up furiously for a Black WooAudio WA5. I reached my savings goal on 31 March. And this past week, Jack and I have been in talks over how I wanted this new amp "spec'd" out.

Well, today I had an appointment out of town and on my way there I tripped over some vintage iron. Bought it Johnny-on-the-spot; now home 
wink.gif
 with it. BUT, I had to use my tube amp money for the solid-state purchase...
eek.gif
, say what?! My thinking is that "Extremely rare" justifies things a bit.

I'm going to name my new amp "Baby sinister!" 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Baby needs a bubble bath, no question. Gonna put it in the shop to get it dolled-up & checked up. This pix does not do the amp justice - this amp is really BIG.

wow!!!! i cold not imagine it in my dreams!!!
love "Baby sinister!"
please give some more pic  back and front

Next week, I'm dropping the amp off to the Stereo Doctor for spa treatment (rehab?). 
biggrin.gif
 Will shoot a handful of pix when I get my hands up around its neck once again. 4 days, 4 weeks or 4 months... no idea.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #6,978 of 19,136
Quote:

Next week, I'm dropping the amp off to the Stereo Doctor for spa treatment (rehab?). 
biggrin.gif
 Will shoot a handful of pix when I get my hands up around its neck once again. 4 days, 4 weeks or 4 months... no idea.

I'd love to see some pictures of the insides, too, though I can understand if you wouldn't want to take it all apart just for that (especially once you've had it serviced).

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #6,979 of 19,136
Hi all,

New to this thread, but have been lurking.  Thanks to you guys I cleaned up my father's NAD 7750 with some deoxite and it sounds great paired with my he-500s and the ODAC.  It's surprisingly dead silent especially after being stowed away for some time (except for some remaining scratchiness in the balance control).  I have not done any other restorations or calbrations even though it probably could benefit.

Anyway, I'm contemplating going getting some speakers, as well as maybe adding a turntable.  I frequently am popping into salvation army and checking craiglist.  I just ran into this guy http://annapolis.craigslist.org/ele/3736632976.html .  Its the Kenwood Nine G.  I don't necessarily need it, but its so pretty and rated at 80 wpc.  In addition he is offering the a Technics SL-B20 turntable and  2 Kenwood KL-777S speakers.  What are your thoughts for $150.  It seems he is negotiable too.

I didn't see a whole lot of input in this thread regarding this receiver.  Anyone have insight?

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6,980 of 19,136
Folks over at audiokarma seen to think the kenwood nine G is a very good unit. $150 seems very fair for the lot. I don't know anything about that turntable and I doubt those speakers are anything special. Search audiokarma for more info.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #6,981 of 19,136
Yes I did do some poking around there.  It sounds like the turntable is entry level and the speakers are of the Kabuki variety which are known for being loud, but the general consensus is not too impressive sounding.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #6,982 of 19,136
Ah, Kabuki speakers. That description always makes me smile. Reminds me of the time I used to spend on AK. They collect receivers, integrated, and separates the way a lot of folks here collect headphones, except of course there's at least several orders of magnitude difference in the amount of space such a collection of hi-fi equipment would take up. The term WAF is thrown around a lot more over there than here on Head-Fi on account of that.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #6,983 of 19,136
Quote:

OMG.... that is a thing of beauty my friend.  I haven't even seen one in real life yet.  Gotta love those random lifetime deals.  Reminds me of how I got my SX1980.

Before I went to off to med school, my mom invited a fellow doc she works with and his family.  Which of course meant his wife and brat of son.  We were the same age and I always despised the guy.... had a real sense of entitlement.  Always been a pretty frugal guy, thats how my mom raised me, and he always gave me crap about buying things used or second hand.  Well we were in my old room and i was searching on CL and saw an ad about a "broken yamaha receiver" for $25.  It didn't have a picture, specs or model number in the ad.  Text the guy and he said that the cord got chopped off during the move from Dallas to Oklahoma and he just got it last year.  He was just down the road a bit so I went there (with the brat since he wanted to come) and saw it a decently specded receiver that had hdmi pass through and all that.  So I asked him, "anything else wrong with it"?  He said, "no, not that i know of".  Figured I'd take the chance for $25 bucks for a pretty damn good receiver.   Just when I was about to hand him the money he said, "you want some speakers too? Just bought a new receiver/speaker. blu-ray player bundle combo.  Never used CL before and I don't want to post another ad for them.  I said what kind and how much?  Don't really know the brand, my brother pieced this set together but add another $25 and they're yours". Low and behold, they're some athena WS series speakers a ws60 and 4 ws15's.  Couldn't believe my luck as I had WS100's from when comp usa closed out.  Handed him 50 and was on my merry way.  Got home, went to the attic, chopped off a plug from some old lamp....soldered it on and it powered right up.  Needless to say the guy was envious about the receiver and speakers saying "I only have this POS old pioneer my uncle gave me; it doesn't even do surround sound!".  Interested but didn't want to sound like I was I slip in, "can't be that bad; how old is it?"  Replies"dunno, but its silver and has WOOD!  Really Wood? ".  This is when my interest peaked....told him that since I just got this receiver i'd trade him my older yamaha receiver for his pos one.  He jumped on the chance; borrowed his dad's car and we left for his house with my old receiver in tow.  Go to his room and in the corner, on the floor with his ps3 on it and   dried red goo next to a fallen over cup layed a sx1980.  Had a face like 
cool.gif
 but my insides were like 
L3000.gif
  Handed him the old receiver.... helped me move the thing as it's heavy as crap!!!!!  There were some scratches on top and side and the red goo came pretty close to the topside vents all the while hoping nothing spilled inside.  As soon as they left I inspected the thing, cleaned it up the best I could.  Opened her up... used a little deoxit, plugged her in and it powered on to its glory.  Mostly worked as far as I could tell some noise and scratches could be heard and a couple bulbs were out.  Brought it to my electronics repair guy; he nearly fell over when I brought it to him....  he replaced a few a things and put in LED's.   That was my 2nd best CL deal ever.... Oh how I miss the thing; its in safe keeping back at home while im stuck in NY.  Nothing like good ole SS raw power.

That was impossible to read.  Can I buy a carriage return??  
beerchug.gif
  Cool story though!!

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #6,984 of 19,136
OMG.... that is a thing of beauty my friend.  I haven't even seen one in real life yet.  Gotta love those random lifetime deals.  Reminds me of how I got my SX1980.

Before I went to off to med school, my mom invited a fellow doc she works with and his family.  Which of course meant his wife and brat of son.  We were the same age and I always despised the guy.... had a real sense of entitlement.  Always been a pretty frugal guy, thats how my mom raised me, and he always gave me crap about buying things used or second hand.  Well we were in my old room and i was searching on CL and saw an ad about a "broken yamaha receiver" for $25.  It didn't have a picture, specs or model number in the ad.  Text the guy and he said that the cord got chopped off during the move from Dallas to Oklahoma and he just got it last year.  He was just down the road a bit so I went there (with the brat since he wanted to come) and saw it a decently specded receiver that had hdmi pass through and all that.  So I asked him, "anything else wrong with it"?  He said, "no, not that i know of".  Figured I'd take the chance for $25 bucks for a pretty damn good receiver.   Just when I was about to hand him the money he said, "you want some speakers too? Just bought a new receiver/speaker. blu-ray player bundle combo.  Never used CL before and I don't want to post another ad for them.  I said what kind and how much?  Don't really know the brand, my brother pieced this set together but add another $25 and they're yours". Low and behold, they're some athena WS series speakers a ws60 and 4 ws15's.  Couldn't believe my luck as I had WS100's from when comp usa closed out.  Handed him 50 and was on my merry way.  Got home, went to the attic, chopped off a plug from some old lamp....soldered it on and it powered right up.  Needless to say the guy was envious about the receiver and speakers saying "I only have this POS old pioneer my uncle gave me; it doesn't even do surround sound!".  Interested but didn't want to sound like I was I slip in, "can't be that bad; how old is it?"  Replies"dunno, but its silver and has WOOD!  Really Wood? ".  This is when my interest peaked....told him that since I just got this receiver i'd trade him my older yamaha receiver for his pos one.  He jumped on the chance; borrowed his dad's car and we left for his house with my old receiver in tow.  Go to his room and in the corner, on the floor with his ps3 on it and   dried red goo next to a fallen over cup layed a sx1980.  Had a face like 
cool.gif

but my insides were like 
L3000.gif

Handed him the old receiver.... helped me move the thing as it's heavy as crap!!!!!  There were some scratches on top and side and the red goo came pretty close to the topside vents all the while hoping nothing spilled inside.  As soon as they left I inspected the thing, cleaned it up the best I could.  Opened her up... used a little deoxit, plugged her in and it powered on to its glory.  Mostly worked as far as I could tell some noise and scratches could be heard and a couple bulbs were out.  Brought it to my electronics repair guy; he nearly fell over when I brought it to him....  he replaced a few a things and put in LED's.   That was my 2nd best CL deal ever.... Oh how I miss the thing; its in safe keeping back at home while im stuck in NY.  Nothing like good ole SS raw power.

Fun read.

I still await the day my luck leads me into a similar situation.
Though it would probably be more likely if I pursued craigslist ads more frequently.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #6,985 of 19,136
Wow...looks like this thread is still going strong.  One of my favorites here or anywhere.  Love the old gear.  Gonna have to take some pics of my Fishers sometime soon...

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #6,986 of 19,136
Quote:

That was impossible to read.  Can I buy a carriage return??  
beerchug.gif
  Cool story though!!

yeah....now i understand why teacher in HS wanted double spacing haha.

Quote:
Fun read.

I still await the day my luck leads me into a similar situation.
Though it would probably be more likely if I pursued craigslist ads more frequently.

Find like that are rare on craigslist...you gotta go to an estate sale, or garage sale in the middle of no where to get the good stuff.  

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #6,987 of 19,136
Wow...looks like this thread is still going strong.  One of my favorites here or anywhere.  Love the old gear.  Gonna have to take some pics of my Fishers sometime soon...

Hi Tom! Haven't seen you in ages. Hope you are well. By all means, please do post your Fisher stuff!

Today I got from Craigslist one of my dream speakers - the Pioneer S-1010. Beryllium ribbon tweeters, Beryllium midrange drivers, and recently refoamed polymer graphite woofer and passive radiator. The real walnut cabinet is also in astounding condition for a 30 year old speaker.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6,989 of 19,136
Quote:

Just one more addition to the chorus. Fisher made some of the most singularly beautiful equipment ever, and I never get tired of seeing it when people post pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back