Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6,946 of 19,143
Anybody seen one of these?

Tech Hi-Fi's house brand (or one of them). 1978. 25 wpc, probably made by Nikko (though nobody seems to know for sure). They don't pop up too often, and I have no idea how rare they are. Probably not very, since they go for a song when they do come up for sale. I really like the way it looks, especially the color-changing tuning needle. Soundwise, it might have a bit of a mild U shape but with slightly lifted upper mids--it definitely adds some flavor to the sound.

Sadly, mine's in pretty rough shape. It badly needs a recap, and it might have a sick output transistor. It buzzes like a nest of angry bees (I'm assuming that's AC getting through the filter caps?), and every so often it has a crackling fit, mostly on the right channel (could be that transistor). If I knew how to do any of this, of course I would have done it years ago.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #6,947 of 19,143
I think they are slightly over rated only because of the price per watt factor. So more over price than over rated IMO. I've never heard a vintage marantz that didn't sound good. But there are cheaper options that sounds at least as good. When you factor in look and sound, I understand why they go for so much, but that's subjective and depends on the individual. But there are other products from other brands that are over priced as well.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #6,948 of 19,143
I really need to get my old Kenwood integrated going again, it sounded great when it was rolling a few years ago and gave up the ghost. It's got kind of a Leben look to it with the wooden sides. It used to power a multi-zone restaurant speaker system, now it's a brick. It's either the power switch or the power supply I think, I sure hope it's the former! All I really know is that it's not the fuse.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #6,949 of 19,143
Quote:
I really need to get my old Kenwood integrated going again, it sounded great when it was rolling a few years ago and gave up the ghost. It's got kind of a Leben look to it with the wooden sides. It used to power a multi-zone restaurant speaker system, now it's a brick. It's either the power switch or the power supply I think, I sure hope it's the former! All I really know is that it's not the fuse.

Which model was it? I've got a KR-6030 that a guy gave me as a gift when he saw me admiring it in his shop (generous fellow, him) that's treated me quite well over the past three years. I might be one of the few living souls who actually likes the look of that line (most people describe them as workhorses and leave it at that), though I like the older (early 70s) blue-dial Kennies a bit more.

I'll just say what you've doubtless already found online: the Kenwood models with the power switch integrated into the speaker select knob are notorious for having that knob fail. Some owners, either proactively or once they get an affected unit working again, just put the receiver on a power strip and turn it on and off using that.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #6,950 of 19,143
There'a a G22000 for sale in Portland.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/3730433456.html

I'm not looking to buy at that price but it is interesting to see these monsters come up!

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #6,951 of 19,143
Quote:
There'a a G22000 for sale in Portland.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/3730433456.html

I'm not looking to buy at that price but it is interesting to see these monsters come up!

Holy................you know what.  $2450 firm. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #6,952 of 19,143
Quote:
Quote:

Which model was it? I've got a KR-6030 that a guy gave me as a gift when he saw me admiring it in his shop (generous fellow, him) that's treated me quite well over the past three years. I might be one of the few living souls who actually likes the look of that line (most people describe them as workhorses and leave it at that), though I like the older (early 70s) blue-dial Kennies a bit more.

I'll just say what you've doubtless already found online: the Kenwood models with the power switch integrated into the speaker select knob are notorious for having that knob fail. Some owners, either proactively or once they get an affected unit working again, just put the receiver on a power strip and turn it on and off using that.

Well it's in storage and the research I did on it is in another partition so I'm not sure right now. But it's the same generation as the one below, I would say it's that amp but mine does not say Trio on it.

That power strip thing would be my kind of solution, to bypass that part of the rotary switch and hardwire it on... that or a toggle switch hacked into the back somewhere
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6,953 of 19,143
I just had my Marantz 2285b serviced. A few solders redone, dc offset and bias adjusted. Wow! sounds so much better. I get Marantz now. World class for sure. Currently listening to the Marantz and Kenwood integrated. All Pioneers are off the rack for now. I'm sure they will be back
wink_face.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #6,954 of 19,143
Quote:
I just had my Marantz 2285b serviced. A few solders redone, dc offset and bias adjusted. Wow! sounds so much better. I get Marantz now. World class for sure. Currently listening to the Marantz and Kenwood integrated. All Pioneers are off the rack for now. I'm sure they will be back
wink_face.gif

You have any vintage you want to sell, PM me.  I live in Gresham. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #6,955 of 19,143

G-22000, Pioneer SX-1980, Marantz 2500 - these all sell for between $2-3K, typically.

And you don't even want to know what a Sansui G-33000 or Marantz 2600 will go for...

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #6,956 of 19,143
Quote:

that is the key thing.  the only opinion that matters, is your ears.  not someone else posting on the internet.  
Marantz is kinda the Klipsch of vintage receivers.
Pretty polarizing gear.
A ton of people love them.  Thats why they are both fairly expensive compared to a lot of other stuff from their days.
And some people strongly dislike them.
those poor poor deaf souls  
tongue.gif

Didn't realize that Klipsch and Marantz were thought of in the same vein. How so? The way I remember it, Marantz was just another consumer level component electronics manufacturer. Like Pioneer, Kenwood, Sherwood, etc. Klipsch used to make truly unique designs that I could see polarizing folks. I can't see pretty blue lights in that way. I'd love a pretty blue Marantz... just don't want to pay too much of a premium for them. If I'm going to pay a hefty premium for lights, they will be green... pretty green MacIntosh lights. :wink: Now those are worthy of a premium price. For that matter, Tandberg blue might be worth paying for but in fact, they go cheaper because of the goofy connectors.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #6,958 of 19,143
Quote:
Quote:

G-22000, Pioneer SX-1980, Marantz 2500 - these all sell for between $2-3K, typically.

And you don't even want to know what a Sansui G-33000 or Marantz 2600 will go for...

You mean like the fully restored G33000 that sold for $10K two weeks ago by ClassicAudio? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #6,959 of 19,143
Apr 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #6,960 of 19,143
Quote:

Didn't realize that Klipsch and Marantz were thought of in the same vein. How so? The way I remember it, Marantz was just another consumer level component electronics manufacturer. Like Pioneer, Kenwood, Sherwood, etc. Klipsch used to make truly unique designs that I could see polarizing folks. I can't see pretty blue lights in that way. I'd love a pretty blue Marantz... just don't want to pay too much of a premium for them. If I'm going to pay a hefty premium for lights, they will be green... pretty green MacIntosh lights. :wink: Now those are worthy of a premium price. For that matter, Tandberg blue might be worth paying for but in fact, they go cheaper because of the goofy connectors.

sorry if i was confusing.
I was trying to point out that those two seem to be products or "house sounds" people either really like, or somewhat strongly dislike. Thats what I was trying to get at with "polarizing".
obviously they aren't in the same sound vein, nor production vein. 

I wouldn't ever pay a McIntosh premium for Marantz gear either, or McIntosh itself for that matter.

anybody know what ever happened to the fully refurbed and pretty much flawless 2600 that was on ebay last year with a buy it now price of about 9k?
do they really end up selling for that, or are they just fishing for something in the neighborhood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back