Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #6,916 of 19,143
Quote:
not  to mention the 2252b 2265b and 2285b are probably the best looking marantz of the 22's
the all silver front on those is stunning.

yeah silent one i think you'll rest just fine with that thing in house.  there's always time down the road for the 1980, and after that a 2600

Shocking, my Pioneer SX-650 looks like a little kid sitting nearby... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #6,917 of 19,143

I've got some B&Ws hooked up to the thing as well, and it just rocks. I just can't believe the shape it's in. If the bulb wasn't out, it'd looked like the thing just rolled off the assembly line.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #6,918 of 19,143
Congrats, looks great! Now get you some leds, and you're all set. I put some in my 2330B, and wow, a huge difference. They go perfect with the all silver face. They look better in it than they did in my 2325.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #6,919 of 19,143
Quote:
Congrats, looks great! Now get you some leds, and you're all set. I put some in my 2330B, and wow, a huge difference. They go perfect with the all silver face. They look better in it than they did in my 2325.

Already on their way. 
biggrin.gif
 Glad I didn't spend any money on a headphone amp; I mean, I have a DAC, but the Marantz is an incredible headphone amp. This thing is so loud. I get 1/3rd of the way there and it's already a little too loud for my B&Ws.

The guy I bought it from said that it wasn't ever repaired but the paper seems replaced and the inside was incredibly clean...so I doubt it. What do I need to keep an eye out that goes on these amps? 

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #6,920 of 19,143
Quote:

I've got some B&Ws hooked up to the thing as well, and it just rocks. I just can't believe the shape it's in. If the bulb wasn't out, it'd looked like the thing just rolled off the assembly line.

That thing is clean! Looks like we're back in circa... whatever that year was. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #6,922 of 19,143
The guy I bought it from said that it wasn't ever repaired but the paper seems replaced and the inside was incredibly clean...so I doubt it. What do I need to keep an eye out that goes on these amps? 

I suppose it could just be that clean and unused for the paper.
They usually brown up from the heat of it being on for years.

I'd say probably scratchy staticy knobs and the relay. The relay will present itself as channels left or right randomly dropping out momentarily and then coming back in.

Really if its been used sparingly that shouldn't be a problem.

Minimizing volume until you hear the relay click to engage is a best practice for preserving it

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #6,923 of 19,143
Quote:
I suppose it could just be that clean and unused for the paper.
They usually brown up from the heat of it being on for years.

I'd say probably scratchy staticy knobs and the relay. The relay will present itself as channels left or right randomly dropping out momentarily and then coming back in.

Really if its been used sparingly that shouldn't be a problem.

Minimizing volume until you hear the relay click to engage is a best practice for preserving it

The knobs have some static (very minor) as I switch between inputs. That's about it. 

Hope nothing else presents itself, but the story seemed legit based on the quality of the amp. So think I'll be alright.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #6,924 of 19,143
If you ever part with it I'm not too far up the road in Norman OK. :)

You didn't by chance get it from a guy named Gary did ya?

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #6,925 of 19,143
Quote:
If you ever part with it I'm not too far up the road in Norman OK.
smily_headphones1.gif

You didn't by chance get it from a guy named Gary did ya?

No, I got it from a guy named Keith at an audio store in Houston who heard me talking to my Aunt about being jealous of a friend's vintage Marantz. I wasn't even planning on buying one over the weekend, but once I saw it, I realized I'd be an idiot to pass it up.

If I ever decide to, you'll be the first to know! (Sorry but not likely, though. 
tongue_smile.gif
)

You a Sooner?

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #6,926 of 19,143
Quote:
SO, that is amazing. I just yelled "oh my crap!!". I have been looking for one or the 1980.

Congrats, man - that's hot.

Yeah, you know how the laws of the universe work sometimes. All my gear gets boxed up for the move and then I find 
blink.gif
what I'm looking for? Currently, just sitting in the garage. Tomorrow, will call around and see where I can drop it off. On my listening to it for the first time in my system, this could take a while...

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #6,927 of 19,143
how much does that monster weigh?
the power unit alone looks to be a solid 50+ pounds!

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #6,928 of 19,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to name my new amp "Baby sinister!" 
very_evil_smiley.gif

blink.gif
I never even knew such a beast existed.

Congrats Felix!

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #6,930 of 19,143

Users who are viewing this thread

Back