Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #6,991 of 19,143
Quote:
Skylab those look awesome. Didn't know pioneer made speakers with those type of drivers. Tom looking forward to the pics. Which fisher amp do you have?.

Congrats Skylab on the new speakers.  I think Pioneer, pioneered the development of Beryllium drivers.  Go look over at the TAD site and they go into the construction process of beryllium drivers that they use in the Reference Ones and the Compact Reference Ones.  tad-labs.com   The CR-1s are the finest speaker I have ever heard in my past 30+ years of being involved in this hobby.  Chris Connaker who runs the ComputerAudiophile.com site uses the CR-1's and Spectral gear as his reference when evaluating new DAC's and other computer audio gear.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #6,992 of 19,143
Yup, TAD speakers are awesome, not even sure everyone understands that TAD is Pioneer. I've heard the, several times at audio shows and always come away impressed.

The S-1010's are astonishingly good! They're a massive step up from the HPM-100, or even HPM-1100 - and I like both of those quite a bit.

The other vintage Pioneer I am trying to score are DSS-9's, also Beryllium ribbon tweeters and mids. Hard speakers too come by, mostly because the polymer graphite woofers used, while excellent, were brittle if poked, and the foam surrounds definitely would rot after a while, so alas many of them got tossed in the trash instead of refoamed or having the woofers repaired.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6,993 of 19,143
Quote:
 ​
Yup, TAD speakers are awesome, not even sure everyone understands that TAD is Pioneer. I've heard the, several times at audio shows and always come away impressed.

The S-1010's are astonishingly good! They're a massive step up from the HPM-100, or even HPM-1100 - and I like both of those quite a bit.

The other vintage Pioneer I am trying to score are DSS-9's, also Beryllium ribbon tweeters and mids. Hard speakers too come by, mostly because the polymer graphite woofers used, while excellent, were brittle if poked, and the foam surrounds definitely would rot after a while, so alas many of them got tossed in the trash instead of refoamed or having the woofers repaired.

Awesome is an understatement....

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #6,995 of 19,143
We're talking vintage, right? Check this out: http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/3737681996.html Yes, I'm thinking of getting it, but since I'm tied up at the moment and 75 miles away, I doubt I'll be the first to respond

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #6,996 of 19,143
Quote:
We're talking vintage, right? Check this out: http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/3737681996.html Yes, I'm thinking of getting it, but since I'm tied up at the moment and 75 miles away, I doubt I'll be the first to respond

C'mon BigCabDaddy, Cassandra Wilson is depending 
biggrin.gif
 on you! What's your status with the unit now?

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #6,997 of 19,143
Sansui G-22000 update:

Broke out the iPod for a quick drive-by and this thing got drive! Great sound presentation as well. I hit it with some vintage B-52s and for a time there, sittin' all comfy inside the garage, I completely forgot I was in the middle of doing chores.

For my iPod, I normally have the Sik ram din connector going into a mini- 1/8 female>stereo rca's but couldn't locate it. So, even though I went the dirtier route of plugging into the iPod's headphone jack out to stereo rca's, the big Sansui still did it justice. I did find the volume control a bit scratchy (understatement 
rolleyes.gif
 ), but once I found the right volume levels all was well.

I haven't even put the bad boy in the shop and I can tell you all now, this amp 
wink.gif
is a keeper! Now, if I can just find the same model again reasonably priced, I'll "bridge" 'em & "block" 'em. Though, with headphone listening, I don't really have any power requirements for this config. But, isn't this hobby about having fun? 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #6,998 of 19,143
Help!!!
My sansui au 20000 produces a loud pop on the right speaker when I listened to my turntable. Since then that channel starts to produce loud pops. I tried different source like aux , tuner, and with headphones, the problem is still there. Has this happens to anyone of you? What might went wrong? I sent this back to my seller for guarantee but I doubt he can fix it. I afraid he just clean the circuits then blames the problem is my system if he couldn't fix it. I had a bad experience with another seller, because I use phono and headphones on a Marantz 2226b, he blamed me as "ppl only use receiver for speaker, cd and tuner":O. Therefore I need u guys' opinion to cross check the seller.
P/s at all time my protection light was red. It never turned green.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #6,999 of 19,143
When the protection light is always on there is sth. more than just dirty switches. I propose of course not to use the unit anymore when the protection light is on. There maybe sth. wrong with the right driver board. Just a guess. Have you tried to seperate the preamp main amp section and use it with other units. If doing so you can check if the problem is either in the preamp section or the main amp section. Nevertheless it is hard to say whats wrong. 

It would be better maybe to post the issue in the Sansui subforum of Audiokarma..

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #7,000 of 19,143
Hey, on my Marantz, when I turn it on I get a little bit of fuzz out of the left channel that immediately goes away. Something I need to fix/be worried? Sounds immaculate, but that does worry me.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #7,001 of 19,143
Quote:

That's a beautiful unit, good luck! I have some vintage Lansing "end table" speakers from that era and they are fantastic.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #7,002 of 19,143
Quote:
Hey, on my Marantz, when I turn it on I get a little bit of fuzz out of the left channel that immediately goes away. Something I need to fix/be worried? Sounds immaculate, but that does worry me.

Don't worry, but know that it will get worse over time until it gets to that point where you have no point but to resolve the issue. I play the same game with hip replacements. Getting old is not for the feint of heart.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #7,003 of 19,143
Eventually all vintage audio gear will have issues as some part start to go, but the most problematic are electrolytic capacitors, which is why "recaps" are so commonly done.

But with any unwanted noise, the first order of business is always a complete de-oxit of all switches, pots, and controls.,

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #7,004 of 19,143
Quote:
Eventually all vintage audio gear will have issues as some part start to go, but the most problematic are electrolytic capacitors, which is why "recaps" are so commonly done.

But with any unwanted noise, the first order of business is always a complete de-oxit of all switches, pots, and controls.,

Yes, the DeoxIt approach has brought many classic pieces back to life for me.  Awesome stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back