Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #5,702 of 19,142
180 mV is definitely too high. You will need to see if find the owners manual and see how to adjust it.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #5,703 of 19,142
http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Sansui%209090%208080%20Service.pdf

Here's the manual
I'd check the bias as well.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #5,705 of 19,142
When I used the headphone jack I could here a very obvious electrical hum when the volume is all the way down. Capacitor issue? It's on both sides as far as I can hear... Probably going to hook it up to the oscilloscope tomorrow.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #5,706 of 19,142
Hey guys. Just joined because I love old receivers, fairly new to the audio world. I'm a college student so I don't have that much money to spend; anything within $150 would be good. I happened pick up an Onkyo TX-4500 MKII on eBay the other day and was wondering what are some of the better speakers/subs to pair it with. The kinds of music I listen to ranges from The Beatles, to Van Halen, to Yngwie Malmsteen, to stuff like Daft Punk, Justice (don't know what genera this type of music is called). I use a Fiio E7 as source to the receiver. Thank you for reading. Would Greatly appreciate the help. 

I've read through some threads, but didn't to find a lot of informations on passive speakers, but rather self amped monitors/speakers. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #5,708 of 19,142
thoughts on the Kenwood KR 9050?
i've got a chance to get one.  just have no idea what its worth.
we've discussed a trade of my 8080  and a little cash.  probably 100 bucks.
just don't know if its worth it

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #5,709 of 19,142
Quote:
thoughts on the Kenwood KR 9050?
i've got a chance to get one.  just have no idea what its worth.
we've discussed a trade of my 8080  and a little cash.  probably 100 bucks.
just don't know if its worth it

I have one in near mint cosmetic condition and no known electrical problems.  Probably unrefurbished.  Sounds great.  Paid $450 for it.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #5,710 of 19,142
I have never heard one, but the KR-9050 is a serious receiver. 200 wpc, weighing 50+ lbs. Massive toroidal transformer. I'm sure it's a nice piece.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #5,711 of 19,142
Quote:

I have one in near mint cosmetic condition and no known electrical problems.  Probably unrefurbished.  Sounds great.  Paid $450 for it.

how would you compare it to a Pioneer SX or Sansui 8080/9090?

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #5,712 of 19,142
Uh-oh, looks like my Kenwood KR-6060 has a problem.  Maybe that's why they sold it.  :confused:

First noticed it when I powered it up and it was plugged into the same power conditioner as the rest of my system.  My other components were powered on and I was playing a CD through my other amp.  

When I powered up the Kenwood, the display lights flickered and while they were flickering, static/power (imagine Frankenstein getting his energizing jolts) sounds came out through my speakers (powered by the other amp) (independent of the pre-amp volume control).  Must have been feeding back thorough the power conditioner???  

Once the Kenwood calms down (display lights steady and relay noise clicks), static/power sounds go away.

Moved it to another outlet and tried several times to power up the Kenwood.  It always goes through this unstable period where lights are flickering (not sure what it's doing to the outlet since nothing else is plugged into the same outlet this time).  Variable amount of time, but the lights eventually go steady, but I did see it go back into the unsteady state with the lights going back into the unsteady/flickering state before becoming steady again.  Needless to say, I don't feel safe plugging anything into it at this point.

Update: Fixed it. The Kenwood, like a few other brands like Pioneers of similar age, uses an ALPS VR-5 power switch that is prone to failure due to black build-up on the contacts that leads to power arcing and those symptoms of light flickering, static, and delayed starts. Eventually may just not turn on I suppose.

Accessing the switch wasn't a big deal on the KR-6060, though I understand it can be more involved on other models like some of the Pioneers that require front panel disassembly. But using some fine grit wet/dry sandpaper (1500 in my case), I was able to get the junk off and now it powers up consistently and quickly without any light flickering.

Just wanted to update in case any others are having start-up/power-on problems on receivers using that same ALPS switch.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #5,713 of 19,142
Quote:
how would you compare it to a Pioneer SX or Sansui 8080/9090?

I have not listened to it enough through one set of cans to be able to say.  It is rated slightly more powerful than a SX-1280 and 2X+ more powerful than the 8080.  How that makes a HP sound probably means nothing.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #5,714 of 19,142
Quote:
Update: Fixed it. The Kenwood, like a few other brands like Pioneers of similar age, uses an ALPS VR-5 power switch that is prone to failure due to black build-up on the contacts that leads to power arcing and those symptoms of light flickering, static, and delayed starts. Eventually may just not turn on I suppose.
Accessing the switch wasn't a big deal on the KR-6060, though I understand it can be more involved on other models like some of the Pioneers that require front panel disassembly. But using some fine grit wet/dry sandpaper (1500 in my case), I was able to get the junk off and now it powers up consistently and quickly without any light flickering.
Just wanted to update in case any others are having start-up/power-on problems on receivers using that same ALPS switch.

Nice job. I would treat all switches with Deoxit spray. It's simply the best contact cleaner/conditioner around.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #5,715 of 19,142
The Kenwood is made from 1979 to prob. 1980 or 81. The Sansui is 1977 or so. While the Kenwwood is more powerful at 200 watts per, I prefer the Sansui. Seems better built and looks more the part of vintage, just my opinion. The 9050 is a freakin beast though. The offer seems fair if it's in great shape and everything works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back