Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #1,096 of 19,143

The SX-780.  Effortless power right out of the HPO.  Looks great too, that little blemish on the right side is nothing but glare on some scotch tape where the veneer was peeling.

It's warm and musical, a very cohesive sound.  The lows are fantastic.  Need some more time to acclimate myself to it though.

About $70 bucks.

So is there any way to figure out how many WPC I'm getting out of the HPO?

May 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,097 of 19,143

Looks great!  Are you finding yourself listening with the Loudness on or off?

Quote:

The SX-780.  Effortless power right out of the HPO.  Looks great too, that little blemish on the right side is nothing but glare on some scotch tape where the veneer was peeling.

It's warm and musical, a very cohesive sound.  The lows are fantastic.  Need some more time to acclimate myself to it though.

About $70 bucks.

May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,099 of 19,143

About $70 bucks.

to find how much power goes into the headphone out section you have to read the resistor's value in the schematics. usually HPO range from 1/2w-2w resistors. that's more then enough for about all headphones.

May 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,100 of 19,143
Quote:

More on than off so far, I like the fullness.  Still playing around with it though.

i never liked using the loudness button really except on my 1976 craig receiver. if i find myself cranking the tone controls or loudness control other then fun then it might just mean i have to either get new speakers or more powerful amp.

May 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,101 of 19,143
I just picked this up from a local seller off of craigs list.
I paid $200 and got the receiver, a tape deck (SC-1110) and the Sansui rack it came in. Listening right now with the LCD-2 out of the HP out and it sounds great. The highs are a bit bright but it could be just the fact that I am used to my LF339 which is warmer in comparison. Will report back after more time with it, but at this point I am really happy with it. Thanks to everyone in this thread for turning me on to vintage receivers.
By the way I have no use for the tape deck or the rack if anyone is interested PM me.

May 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #1,102 of 19,143
I've come across some very odd turn table auctions recently

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300556669010&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHARP-OPTONICA-BOTH-SIDES-PLAY-TURNTABLE-RP-117-W-INSTS-/260781296102?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb7c6c9e6

May 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,103 of 19,143
sluker,welcome aboard the '70's Sansui sound machine.

I am sure that by now you have become familiar with the Sansui 'house' sound.

Soon,a BA 3000 will be powering your Stax...

If you do put some speakers on the amp,leave the front speaker switch to 'off' until it warms up a little.

Conversely,before you power off the amp turn the speaker switch to 'off'-it avoids the speaker 'pop' that sometimes accompanies vintage gear.

Enjoy your AU 717.

May 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,104 of 19,143
5aces, thanks for the heads up.
I am eventually planning to hook up my B&W CM1's to see if I can get rid of the Adcom GFA 5400 and clear some space. I wonder how the AU-717 wlll compare to the GFA5400?

Quote:
sluker,welcome aboard the '70's Sansui sound machine.

I am sure that by now you have become familiar with the Sansui 'house' sound.

Soon,a BA 3000 will be powering your Stax...

If you do put some speakers on the amp,leave the front speaker switch to 'off' until it warms up a little.

Conversely,before you power off the amp turn the speaker switch to 'off'-it avoids the speaker 'pop' that sometimes accompanies vintage gear.

Enjoy your AU 717.

May 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #1,105 of 19,143
Sphinxvc and Slurker, very nice looking stuff!

May 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,106 of 19,143
5aces, thanks for the heads up.
I wonder how the AU-717 wlll compare to the GFA5400

Those B&W speakers call for 30-100 watts,so the Sansui at 85 watts is perfect.

Your Adcom is 125 watts,also a good match.

Most of us listen at 1 watt or less,so you can judge easily.

Sansui is often described as 'clear' as opposed to say,Marantz,as 'warm'.

I am only familiar with Adcom preamplifiers.

Do tell what you hear.

May 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,107 of 19,143

Quote:

About $70 bucks.

I've always loved the look of the classic Pioneers, came really close to buying many times.  One of these days

May 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #1,108 of 19,143
i did some more cleaning up today on my yamaha r-9 when i gotten home and had some more time listening on my speakers and my akg 240's. at first i thought my akg's sounded bassy compared to my sansui,but after some more listening to different genres(like classical,soundscape,ambient,ect.) i found the bass balanced and it was the source that was bassy. i really am starting to enjoy this monster receiver as much as my sansui. it's also very very quiet on speakers and headphones(only noticable hiss with volume cranked to 3 'o clock). i haven't tried any of my DIY headphones that i put together with 16 awg speaker wire to be used off the speaker taps yet.

May 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #1,109 of 19,143
So have any of you guys bothered speaker tapping these vintage receivers for your orthos?  Or am I just asking for trouble?  From what I understand this thing (the SX-780) puts out 45W per channel.

While I'm enjoying the whole warm, full, musicality of this vintage receiver I'm also hearing a bit of harshness at times.  That's one thing I didn't notice with the Lyr when I tried it this past weekend.  Another thing I've noticed is that it lacks refinement in the soundstage, there isn't much layering or distinction to the micro-details. 

Question: this VU meter, I'm seeing it dance around 1W and jump up to 10W, and then sometimes, even up to 25-50W.  Is this accurate?  Is it attenuated down to 2Ws or so?  I couldn't find the schematic to double check.  

Also, anyone know how the 980s HPO compares to the lower end Pioneer's HPO?  I see one for sale.

On the whole, I'm really liking what this thing is giving me for a $70 investment.

May 13, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,110 of 19,143

Quote:
I just picked this up from a local seller off of craigs list.
I paid $200 and got the receiver, a tape deck (SC-1110) and the Sansui rack it came in. Listening right now with the LCD-2 out of the HP out and it sounds great. The highs are a bit bright but it could be just the fact that I am used to my LF339 which is warmer in comparison. Will report back after more time with it, but at this point I am really happy with it. Thanks to everyone in this thread for turning me on to vintage receivers.
By the way I have no use for the tape deck or the rack if anyone is interested PM me.

woaah finally another X17 player! my feelings about the x17s are fairly well defined on this thread so im more than glad to have another partner in crime onboard LOLOL! i think alot if not most SS amps will sound bright(er) when compare to a similar tubie so its not that strange. what i do lov about my 517 its lack of vocal sibilancesssss (comparatively) & its very nice combo of smoothness & organic warmth without losing any upper info.

do ensure that the pots & controls are well cleaned & lubricated as a dirty/oxidized pot can be a source of distortion. its ridiculous easy to adjust both DC offset & Bias current so do ensure u set to factory spec at the very least. i enjoyed playing with higher Bias & finally settled on 24mv +-1mv as best sounding on my dynamic cans. on the HE5LE, there isnt that much of a difference. your LCD2 should like a higher than factory setting guessing by my experiences but waddaikno.

do give us more impressions & welcome to the club!

ps: REX nice pickup on the R9 yami bud. lets us know how it sounds comparo to the now gone sansui willya :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back