Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 13, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #1,111 of 19,145
VU meters are calibrated for 8 ohms, so no, they are not accurate with headphones. 

But I have not used the speaker outs of my vintage receivers.  They are all capable of close to 10 W, or more, via their headphone outs.  Even the HE-6 don't need that.  But my vintage receivers are all 100 wpc into 8 ohms speakers, so they hare pretty powerful.

My Sansui hisses a little with headphones unless I put the -20dB muting on.  But with that it is dead silent, and still plenty of power.  My Pioneers have no hiss at all, though.

May 13, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #1,112 of 19,145
I came across this on ebay. It doesn't have a headphone out, but maybe speaker taps could be used for some orthos? I like how clean the layout of the tubes and transformers is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-60s-FISHER-500-B-TUBE-STEREO-RECEIVER-TUNER-AMP-/250818835506?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item3a65f7b432#ht_500wt_1156

May 13, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,113 of 19,145
REX nice pickup on the R9 yami bud. lets us know how it sounds comparo to the now gone sansui willya :) 

thanks. only thing i wasn't too fond of my sansui au-d7 was the ''presence'' knob. presence is for upper midrange and not midrange like other receivers or amps have. just the midrange sounded too focus and sometimes little harsh on a lot. had wonderful highs tho. lows was very tight but lacked the major thump my sansui 5000x had and midrange was more natural on my sansui 5000x. believe or not my sansui 5000x known to sound like tubes to some actually seemed more balanced to my sansui au-d7. both sansui's were very clean sounding as well.

now the yamaha R-9 does everything better than my sansui au-d7. i don't know cause of extra 45w over my au-d7 but there is no need to touch the bass knob ever agian if you have powerful floor towers or subwoofers when playing a game or watching a movie. it's pretty balance tho cause at first i thought it was bass heavy in some cases (or just never realized my speakers could put this much out) but after some listening to some acoustic,folk,classical and more laidback genres i found it was more of the source/track that over-emphisize a certain frequency range.it's as clean sounding as well as my sansui's.

i still love my sansui's even tho i crawled over yamaha's territory. one sansui amp i'll always find to have that special sound and performance is of course my 5000x. i still love everything sonically about this receiver and still like it over the yamaha. the yamaha might not be as pretty as some of the silver face receivers/amps but it sure does have lots of power and sounds really wonderful. only thing i don't like on the yamaha is it runs scary hot in class A mode. i never run it in class A. it stays in class A/B at all times. i don't notice a difference in class A over A/B annyways but i heard you can if you have some good LP's and turntable so i'm on hunt for a killer TT now.

May 13, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #1,114 of 19,145

Quote:
VU meters are calibrated for 8 ohms, so no, they are not accurate with headphones. 

But I have not used the speaker outs of my vintage receivers.  They are all capable of close to 10 W, or more, via their headphone outs.  Even the HE-6 don't need that.  But my vintage receivers are all 100 wpc into 8 ohms speakers, so they hare pretty powerful.

My Sansui hisses a little with headphones unless I put the -20dB muting on.  But with that it is dead silent, and still plenty of power.  My Pioneers have no hiss at all, though.

The G4500 Sansui has no hiss at all. Its kind cool looking at the VU meters go way up on the he6 and barely hit the 1W on the D7000 so it kind gives you an idea how much powet the HE6 really needs and hit on dynamic music. My two Pioneer are also no hiss.

May 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #1,115 of 19,145
If you can find the 500-C, it has a fantastic headphone out.  I'm pretty sure that, other than that, it's the same receiver.

Quote:
I came across this on ebay. It doesn't have a headphone out, but maybe speaker taps could be used for some orthos? I like how clean the layout of the tubes and transformers is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-60s-FISHER-500-B-TUBE-STEREO-RECEIVER-TUNER-AMP-/250818835506?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item3a65f7b432#ht_500wt_1156

May 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #1,116 of 19,145
Quote:

Ah, ok, gotcha.  I didn't figure it was accurate but it's a neat little meter all the same.

Do you find a harshness to your Pioneers?  I put in an hour's session last night and I was a bit fatigued by the end of it.  Perhaps I've just become spoiled by tubes or perhaps the caps and various internals are past their prime and the output isn't as clean anymore.

Quote:
The G4500 Sansui has no hiss at all. Its kind cool looking at the VU meters go way up on the he6 and barely hit the 1W on the D7000 so it kind gives you an idea how much powet the HE6 really needs and hit on dynamic music. My two Pioneer are also no hiss.

It is a neat little indirect way of seeing power requirements. 

May 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #1,117 of 19,145

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, ok, gotcha.  I didn't figure it was accurate but it's a neat little meter all the same.

Do you find a harshness to your Pioneers?  I put in an hour's session last night and I was a bit fatigued by the end of it.  Perhaps I've just become spoiled by tubes or perhaps the caps and various internals are past their prime and the output isn't as clean anymore.

Quote:

It is a neat little indirect way of seeing power requirements. 

Yeah man, I *DIG* VU meters
L3000.gif
No doubt!

Actually I do not find either if my Pioneers harsh at all - surprisingly smooth, in fact.  I was surprised by this, considering I am a tube guy, and these are 1970's solid state!  Both of mine have been recapped, though.

May 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,118 of 19,145

Quote:
L3000.gif
No doubt!

Actually I do not find either if my Pioneers harsh at all - surprisingly smooth, in fact.  I was surprised by this, considering I am a tube guy, and these are 1970's solid state!  Both of mine have been recapped, though.

You need to try some HK gear, they are surprisingly pleasant, not very powerful but really nice sounding units.

May 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #1,119 of 19,145

Quote:
L3000.gif
No doubt!

Same here. I'm also a tube guy and never really been a huge fan of solid state, but my sx1010 is very clean and smooth sounding. I think it's  solid state at it's best. There no harshness, and not a hint of grain.

May 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,120 of 19,145
I guess it's just my unit then.  It is unmistakably fatiguing, the highs are etched and tiring.  Kind of disappointing, I didn't catch it when I demo'd it.  I like listening to my '95 Sony receiver more.  No doubt it needs some recapping.

Shipsupt, how's yours doing?  Fatiguing at all with your 5LEs?

May 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,121 of 19,145

Quote:
I guess it's just my unit then.  It is unmistakably fatiguing, the highs are etched and tiring.  Kind of disappointing, I didn't catch it when I demo'd it.  I like listening to my '95 Sony receiver more.  No doubt it needs some recapping.

So far it's been all LCD-2 from the Pioneer except for a very short listen on the 5LE's.  No fatigue issues or harshness up high with them, very warm and lush.  I'll do some listening with the 5LE's this weekend and report back.

May 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #1,122 of 19,145

Quote:

i have to say i hear similar type & amt of sibilancesssss with all of my vintages so im not really positive if its just a matter of recapping & replacing old parts. my recent exploits have made me realize the culprit(s) is the volume (or rather high dB volume in my case) combo'd with a treble centric headphone (5LEs to be specific). at a more normal & sane listening vol, this sibilant fatique is much reduced & in most cases, a non factor.

in case i blame the 5LEs, i also hear it at the same passages on the same material with the HD650 with an albeit, much lower irritation factor. perchance u're listening at a different vol on the Sony as opposed to the Pioneer? another factor maybe the type of headout circuitry your Sony has. its more than a smidgen of likelyhood that its powered by opamps rather than off the main outs.

FWIW what i hear at high vols isnt harshness but vocal sibilance to be specific. this doesnt recur with all songs so im pretty sure its material specific. on well recorded stuff, theres NO issue even at ear poppin vols.

May 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,123 of 19,145
Quote:
i have to say i hear similar type & amt of sibilancesssss with all of my vintages so im not really positive if its just a matter of recapping & replacing old parts. my recent exploits have made me realize the culprit(s) is the volume (or rather high dB volume in my case) combo'd with a treble centric headphone (5LEs to be specific). at a more normal & sane listening vol, this sibilant fatique is much reduced & in most cases, a non factor.

in case i blame the 5LEs, i also hear it at the same passages on the same material with the HD650 with an albeit, much lower irritation factor. perchance u're listening at a different vol on the Sony as opposed to the Pioneer? another factor maybe the type of headout circuitry your Sony has. its more than a smidgen of likelyhood that its powered by opamps rather than off the main outs.

FWIW what i hear at high vols isnt harshness but vocal sibilance to be specific. this doesnt recur with all songs so im pretty sure its material specific. on well recorded stuff, theres NO issue even at ear poppin vols.

Well I don't have an SPL meter handy but I think I'm listening at the same low volumes I've always listened at.  Just going off how loud I've noticed others listen at head-fi meets, I think I'm a low volume listener.  I think I'll get one of hi-flight's XLR-banana adapters and see what I hear out of my Sony's speaker taps.  I already like how it's doing with it's HPO but it's obvious..when I take it to higher volumes..that it doesn't have the necessary juice out of HPO.  My Pioneer needs a time out on craigslist or ebay.  =] 

And yeah, it is vocal sibilance specifically, I agree.

One more thing, my Sony is a 5-channel receiver.  If I speaker tapped it just out of the front R and front L channels am I missing out somewhere since I would think there's signals also going to the back R, L and center channels.  I don't see any option to lock it into stereo mode.

May 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,124 of 19,145
A buddy at work gave me this Kenwood KR-9050 to check out today.  Just checked the DC offset on both channels.  Left - -11.7 mV, Right = +10.5 mV  Receiver appears to be all original, no restoration.

Will look at zeroing it tomorrow and checking the Bias.

Here are a couple of pictures.  It is in very good cosmetic shape, expect for a broken 3 way toggle switch cover.  Wonder how easy it will be to find one of those?  

Can potential value be talked about in this thread?  I'd like to get some input on a fair offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back