Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 8, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,066 of 19,145
RexA that looks awesome, man. Nice work.

5Aces, good advice. I'm only using one pair of speakers with mine! No need for multiple sets of speakers anywhere in my house, other than the surround rig, and I have multiple amps for that...the vintage receiver has just one pair of speakers to drive.

May 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,067 of 19,145
RexA that looks awesome, man. Nice work.

thanks. it looks lot better in person cause you actually see the paint finish how it bonded to the wood grain. i'm such horrible picture taker as well. if i spent as much of my time taking photos as i do listening to music i'll probably be a professional by now :D

May 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,068 of 19,145
nbourbaki, that sony is gorgeous. I love the look of old sony gear.

In other news:
The marantz 2245 is running well, I bought some cheap rca jacks at radioshack and fabbed up a mounting plate out of sheet pvc. Got them all wired up and now everything's connected all properly and such. There's still a slight humm in the background, but hopefully that will go away when I work up the nerve (and paycheck) to recap and rebias the thing this summer. Until then, it's happy listening time!

May 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,070 of 19,145
I am picking up a pioneer SX-650 tomorrow that I plan to try with my LCD-2 and HE5-LE.... Yes I'm very excited to give the vintage kit a try!

How is the HPO on the 650? Should I be thinking about speaker taps, or will I be fine just plugging in?

May 11, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #1,072 of 19,145

Quote:
I am picking up a pioneer SX-650 tomorrow that I plan to try with my LCD-2 and HE5-LE.... Yes I'm very excited to give the vintage kit a try!

How is the HPO on the 650? Should I be thinking about speaker taps, or will I be fine just plugging in?

The SX650 drives my hE6 out of the headphone jack and i have not used the speaker taps. It surprisingly very very good and very powerful on speakers for only 35W it feels its on steroids.

May 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #1,073 of 19,145
well i'm having a guy coming by my place to check out my sansui au-d7(silver face version) amp for trade. he clearly won't be disappointed cause i driven this amp hard with no issues and if you really wanted to you can use this amp as a dedicated subwoofer amp to create an earth quake in your area you have no problem doing so(mentioning bass all the time since low frequencies require most of the power while midranges and tweeters need very little compared to the woofers and subwoofers. i am not a basshead tho).

i'm going into yamaha territory now and seeing how his yamaha R-9 is. read lot of people loved the yamaha R-9 actually over the older CR models,so i see how it goes. his yamaha is class A amp from 1980's. i see how i like it compared to my sansui 5000x since my sansui 5000x has always been my main amp. i have heard many amps that have more raw power in specs compared to my 5000x but for some reason i always find something special about it's sound and power handling. lets see how this 125wpc yamaha R-9 stacks up to it in sonics.

May 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #1,075 of 19,145
Hold that Lyr after all, I'm getting good power right out of my Sony STR-D715 receiver's HPO with my 5LEs.  

Thinking the vintage receiver route now.

Shipsupt, would you share what else was on your vintage watch list?  

There are a couple of sx-650s and 680s on ebay at the moment.

This frees up my budget alot.

May 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #1,076 of 19,145

Quote:
Hold that Lyr after all, I'm getting good power right out of my Sony STR-D715 receiver's HPO with my 5LEs.  

Thinking the vintage receiver route now.

Shipsupt, would you share what else was on your vintage watch list?  

There are a couple of sx-650s and 680s on ebay at the moment.

This frees up my budget alot.

Try your craig list and search under Pioneer daily and then untder vintage electronics and you will find one like I found my SX980. I also see two 750SX and  a680 and 780 on there in NJ right now. Plum out of space for any more unless I find a 1250 or 5590 in good condition. I passed on a 5590 because it had left channel static so i did not want to spend another 150.00 to clean and repair

May 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,077 of 19,145
Quote:
Try your craig list and search under Pioneer daily and then untder vintage electronics and you will find one like I found my SX980. I also see two 750SX and  a680 and 780 on there in NJ right now. Plum out of space for any more unless I find a 1250 or 5590 in good condition. I passed on a 5590 because it had left channel static so i did not want to spend another 150.00 to clean and repair

Thanks, will do.  How does the 650 compare to your 980 and do you use HPO w/ both?

May 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #1,078 of 19,145
well i just got the yamaha r-9. powerful and nice sounding unit. i actually like it more than my sansui au-d7 i traded for it. thing is this thing gets hot. i mean HOT! running in class A mode. looks lot better and bigger in person as well. it's actually larger then my sansui 5000x.

May 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #1,079 of 19,145
after some brief listening i actually like this as much as my sansui 5000x but my 5000x still has slight edge in sonics but defiantly not power. this thing has insane torque. no need to crank the bass knob anymore. well this unit is of course 125wpc class A/B amp compared to my sansui rated at 60wpc. stays in class A up till 35w but don't let that little number fool you cause you can get some nice volume headroom for 35w.

for my akg 240's i still like them on the sansui 5000x more. sounds like it has too much bass on the yamaha compared to my sansui. sounds just right on my speakers tho. maybe if i get some vintage yamaha orthodynamics they probably sound nice on it since lot of yamaha orthos are known to pair well with vintage yamaha gear. i love the amp. first yamaha amp and love it. it runs luke warm in class A/B but insanely hot in class A due to more current being drawn.it's a keeper for sure. i will take pic soon.

May 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #1,080 of 19,145
The Yamaha CR series put a plastic plug in the headphone jacks that said, "Reserved for Yamaha Orthodynamics". A pretty amusing bit of marketing hype.   A few people on the ortho thread have the CR-620 and really like it with Yamaha orthos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back