Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,051 of 19,143
I hooked my SX-1980 up to my B&W N805's roday, and I do think it actually sounds a little better than my SX-1250 (which itself I think sounds fabulous).  It's important that I caveat this as "MY" versions, since both my 1250 and 1980 were recapped.  The phono stage in the 1980 strikes me especially as being better on the 1980.

So the 1980 is going to take up permanent residence in my vintage rig:

Looking much better after the Old English treatment, too:

May 7, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #1,052 of 19,143
well i just got back from messing around in radioshack,lowes and home goods today. i decided to buy a new basic digital multi-meter to reset the bias on my 5000x. lowes i got some black spray paint for wood and gonna build up a new wood encloursure for my sansui 5000x and paint it satin black. in my head i imagine it looking really killer looking to me. lets see how the paint job turns out. i'm never ever ever ever gonna sell my sansui 5000x cause it's really special amp with lots of power for very heavy loads so i'm like ''why the hell not?''. i also bought some carpet for more room acoustic treatment on my back wall cause carpet is cheap and works as well or better then acoustic foam. acoustic foam would cost me more ordering it from parts express cause i would need a lot to cover my wall compared to the free carpet i got from my friend and the one i spent on home goods cause of clearance sale.

you can tell huge difference in your voice in my area with treated carpet compared to my other rooms in my house. even my friends that's not into music like me can automatically hear a major difference as soon as they walk in my area.

May 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,053 of 19,143
that's totally awesome. glad your enjoying your new pioneer. good job on the clean up as well. you can see huge difference in the wood finish after the old english treatment.

Quote:
I hooked my SX-1980 up to my B&W N805's roday, and I do think it actually sounds a little better than my SX-1250 (which itself I think sounds fabulous).  It's important that I caveat this as "MY" versions, since both my 1250 and 1980 were recapped.  The phono stage in the 1980 strikes me especially as being better on the 1980.

May 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,054 of 19,143
My recapped Sony STR-V6

May 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #1,055 of 19,143
Wow! Very nice. That series of Sony are very nice sounding receivers. Very cool.

May 7, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #1,056 of 19,143
Thanks!  I had to choose between this and my Marantz 4270 quad receiver for bedroom duty.  This one won.  My favorite vintage pieces are my Yamaha B2 V-FET amps and matching C-2a preamp.  I just don't have room to set them up and summer is coming and those amps put out the heat for 100w amps.

May 8, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,058 of 19,143

Quote:

That's so beautiful.  I just can't imagine spending that much on a vintage receiver, although I was prepared to take the 2275 off your hands instead of the 2240.  What was wrong with the 1250 that made you spring for the 1980?

May 8, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #1,059 of 19,143
well i just got done putting a new custom walnut enclourse together and painting it. it turned out lot better then expected. new black wood enclourse looks beautiful and looks as stunning on the sansui 5000x as i imagined. satin black fits the silver face plate and vintage green lights very well.will take pics as soon i let the wood dry over night completely.

May 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #1,060 of 19,143
@Wualta - that Yammy looks WAY cool! Very nice.

@HeadphoneAddict - nothing at all wrong with the SX-1250 - in fact it's killer. I have this annoying habit iof liking to scale the heights of things once I get into them, that's all, and the SX-1980 is in many ways the height of 1970's receivers...for sure it is the height of the Pioneers. Plus I found one already recapped for a decent price.

Also, these are not "trophys" for me - the SX-1980 got plopped into my man-cave rig where it will be used daily, and the Marantz 2275 is powering both speakers and headphones in my office. I use the stuff I buy :D

@ RexA - looking forward to seeing the pics, man, sounds awesome!

May 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,061 of 19,143
I'm late to this party but it all trips me out, especially the photos because I remember when these components were brand new, sitting on dealers shelves.
I caught the bug in '73 when in the 8th grade while I was attending school in NH.  I went into the Art House and found a Stereo Review.  I picked it up and read and looked at the pictures and was forever hooked.
At the end of the school year we moved to the Chicago area.  It was a true audio nut's playground in the '70s as most of us know.  But nothing topped Providence, where I moved to in 1976.  I remember spending Saturdays up on the east side with my girlfriend when she was attending Brown.  In a 2 square block area at Thayer and Angell there was Tech HiFi, Tweeter Etc. (when it was "higher-end" audio only), Music Systems Ltd., Ashly HiFi, Public Stereo, Student Discount Center and Sound II.  The suburbs were packed too.  Remember that during this time there were 300 Yen to the dollar and decent gear was affordable to all.  Color tvs cost a lot, there was no pre-recorded video, no video games, no computers/internet.  Everyone wanted a "stereo" and yeah we had Quaaludes too.
Today good gear is crazy expensive although there are bargains and diamonds in the rough to be found.  But that '70s gear looked the part, didn't it?  It is also easy to restore and modify with today's better parts that yesterday's designers only dreamed about.  I was one of them.
Even my 1974 entry level Pioneer SX-424 receiver qualifies as eye candy by today's standards.

May 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #1,062 of 19,143
Many of you will know this already but for those who may not:

SPEAKER WARNING!--This applies to most vintage amplifiers:

Do NOT connect 4 speakers to your amp if the impedance of any of the speakers is 4 ohms.
This will definitely damage the amp sooner or later.
Remember some amps do not have fused output lines or fused power supply rails.
You are likely to cause major damage to your equipment if you ignore this warning.
If you must use 4 speakers, then all 4 speakers must be 8 Ohms (not 6 or 4 ohms).
Usually specified by the manufacturer.Please pay attention to this.
Many amplifiers are damaged this way.
Note that most new speakers are 4 Ohms or less!
If you must use 4 speakers that are 4 ohms, then you must connect each pair in series and then connect either to system A or B but not both.

High wattage amplifiers/receivers may be a pleasure to hear,having the power reserve on hand to supply better realism to the music for transients-dynamics but you now have the capability to melt many voice coils on the planet if turned to full volume.
Other purposes may be to drive multiple speaker systems throughout your living quarters,without undue stress on the equipment.

Some real TOTL vintage gear here,all of these pieces evoke a memory of some kind...just make sure the smell of burned electronics isn't one of them!
Keep on listening...

May 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,063 of 19,143

well heres a quick pic of finish project. sorry for crappy pic. i seriously do not have the best cam in the world.

DSC00898.jpg

EDIT: sorry but having hard time posting pic on the forum here. i use the correct
each end but won't load pic and when you click on the link says not found. is it cause of the size? this current direct link works fine. just when i try to post it as an image it won't.

May 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #1,064 of 19,143
Click the picture icon and post the url into the 2nd tab.  The site by default uses HTML instead of BB code.  Supposedly, you can change it back to BB code in your profile.

Does that have enough ventilation?

May 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,065 of 19,143
Click the picture icon and post the url into the 2nd tab.  The site by default uses HTML instead of BB code.  Supposedly, you can change it back to BB code in your profile.

Does that have enough ventilation?

got it working. i had to change it to BB code in my profile. and yes it has plenty. the vents look bigger in person. it has a massive heatsink in the back for the output transistors. it can be a pain tho hooking up speakers cause the speaker terminals are right underneath the massive heatsink in the back and my hands aren't exactly small either so it can be a pain for me. it's a very powerful amp and has no issues driving any load,even can put some ohm walsh 2ohm speakers in there place easily. i think cause of the massive power supply as well this thing has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back