Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 23, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #18,916 of 19,145
Not a monster receiver but in great shape. I got this for free. The older gentleman had not used it in years and when I turned it on, the relay clicked overly loud each time, and the only sound was a loud hum over the speakers. I took it to an older tech that I know and he replaced several capacitors, and voila, the receiver was alive again. This is my third Yamaha, I have a new arms HT model, and then a totl, rx 1130, from the early 90’s with an incredibly large controller which I cannot post here because it does not meet the criteria of this thread. Anyway here is my Yamaha CR 620 -96672077-C34C-4D41-A8C5-BBD5B8192FD8.jpeg
well now you're obligated to get yamaha orthodynamic headphones :wink:

looks great; timeless, clean design

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #18,917 of 19,145
20220830_175204.jpg

My 1990 Luxman R-113 conservatively rated at 35 wpc makes my higher Ohm HP's like the K340 and HD650 sound wonderful with plenty of headroom. It's versatility of choosing CD direct or Luxman's warm Tube Like circuitry is like having 2 amps in one.
They can be purchased relatively cheap. With a good servicing (cleaning) it will give you a Huge bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #18,920 of 19,145
84ED9B7E-BE8F-4FB1-97DA-2A6B8987CD2D.jpeg

I know right: ) I am trying to step back and enjoy the audio I have after my last purchase of some extremely heavy Yamaha S4115H PA (circa 1978) speakers though….if anyone wants to see pics lol, let me know.
Go ahead, why not, the more the merrier. Vintage audio items are truly beautiful.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #18,921 of 19,145
Can someone give me a really quick summary of the best vintage receivers or amps to get...or do I need to start at page 1? I'm joking, kind of... :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #18,922 of 19,145
I'm sure that many of us could, but without knowing what you're seeking and able to afford, it would probably of limited value, Further "the best" receiver or integrated amp for you in new condition is not what you will find "in the wild" half a century (or at least many decades) later. Another issue you will face is what you consider to be a vintage receiver. For most of us as long in the tooth as I am, it means equipment from the late 60's until (maybe) the middle 80's, when digital controls took over and quality usually took a major hit to cut costs.

The good news is that are many great brands and models that populated this time frame. In my case I still own and listen to vintage receivers from Sansui, Pioneer Yamaha, Marantz, Sony and Carver (if you want to stretch the time frame a bit). There are many other great brands in addition to those on my list. I suggest that you spend some time reading sites like:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/

https://classicaudio.com/value/index.html

https://classicreceivers.com/

https://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/vintage-hifi-reviews.html#index

https://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/vintage-hifi-reviews-pt2.html

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #18,923 of 19,145
Can someone give me a really quick summary of the best vintage receivers or amps to get...or do I need to start at page 1? I'm joking, kind of... :beyersmile:

hah well like the other reply, you need to give more details because its hard to summarize ~20 years of electronics between a dozen brands

but here's a decent youtube channel which has some lists and recs

also this channel does the most product rundowns & history of lines imaginable:

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #18,924 of 19,145
I'm sure that many of us could, but without knowing what you're seeking and able to afford, it would probably of limited value, Further "the best" receiver or integrated amp for you in new condition is not what you will find "in the wild" half a century (or at least many decades) later. Another issue you will face is what you consider to be a vintage receiver. For most of us as long in the tooth as I am, it means equipment from the late 60's until (maybe) the middle 80's, when digital controls took over and quality usually took a major hit to cut costs.

The good news is that are many great brands and models that populated this time frame. In my case I still own and listen to vintage receivers from Sansui, Pioneer Yamaha, Marantz, Sony and Carver (if you want to stretch the time frame a bit). There are many other great brands in addition to those on my list. I suggest that you spend some time reading sites like:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/

https://classicaudio.com/value/index.html

https://classicreceivers.com/

https://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/vintage-hifi-reviews.html#index

https://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/vintage-hifi-reviews-pt2.html
Thanks for the reply and help. I get what your saying. I am on my 2nd Pioneer SX-1000TW. First one was not recapped, and a few months in speakers had a terrible pulsing noise when I turned it on. I shelved it.
Months later I saw a recapped of the same model. He said it worked perfect, and the speakers are clear with no hum. The headphones though have a static in one ear, and hum in the other. Also there is a pop in the speakers if I power it on with volume up. I just learned that the DC offset and bias should be factory tuned, and maybe this is that problem? Edit: I love the sound but I almost always need to switch the loudness on. The first time I did that it was like audio revelation. I knew we've been played by the modern reviewers.
My question was vague I admit. This being head-fi, we like a good headphone output, and speakers sound for me. I was reading threads on the best sound from Pioneer vs Marantz, and Sansui. I understand it depends on the model years also. I like my Pioneer sound, but it's all I've heard. Some say Marantz is too warm, and not as good for faster music. That makes me think I want that warm and powerful sound and bass, but not to the point of if affecting the quality of music. 50 watts per channel is more than enough, and gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling about it...if you know what I mean. Less than 35 watts makes me not as excited mentally. I really like a pre-amp I saw that has 2 aux in puts I could use, and I don't really use the tuner on a receiver...but I love the looks of a receiver and the idea of having the tuner. I know that's not helping narrow things.

I would like to spend $400-$500, but willing to push that up to $800-$1000 just for the bling and cool factor. It also depends on what is available at the time. I've decided to buy a restored unit only from a trusted tech.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #18,925 of 19,145
hah well like the other reply, you need to give more details because its hard to summarize ~20 years of electronics between a dozen brands

Thank you...I'm subscribed to him have watched those first 2, and JUST rewatched that first one today! I noticed the one thing he didn't talk about was sound. Maybe a trip to dallas to actually hear a variety from some vintage shops would do me good. Anything would make me happy since ignorance is bliss...but I want to make an educated choice.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #18,926 of 19,145

The Pioneer SX-1980 is a great vintage amplifier, some say it’s the best. On the other hand, it’s unaffordable for the majority of audiophiles. And even for those who can afford one, it’s a hefty price for an 45 year old audio item, even if it’s been serviced. BTW, I’m not criticizing your choice Lvivske, just giving my humble opinion here.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #18,927 of 19,145
Going back to my Pioneer with noise in the headphone, I got a reply from the seller:

I try every receiver with the headphones. I don't know why you're getting that result. Try playing music thru the speakers and the headphones at the same time and see if there is static and hum thru the speakers when you plug in your headphones. If so, it sounds like the jack on the headphone is pushing the contact fin into something metal. Like it's grounding it out. You'd have to take the lid off to watch when the jack is plugged in. It sounds like it is a mechanical problem with the way your headphones are plugged in. Weird."

Maybe it's an easy fix?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #18,928 of 19,145
The Pioneer SX-1980 is a great vintage amplifier, some say it’s the best. On the other hand, it’s unaffordable for the majority of audiophiles. And even for those who can afford one, it’s a hefty price for an 45 year old audio item, even if it’s been serviced. BTW, I’m not criticizing your choice Lvivske, just giving my humble opinion here.

it was a channel recommendation, didnt suggest he buy it

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #18,929 of 19,145
Going back to my Pioneer with noise in the headphone, I got a reply from the seller:

I try every receiver with the headphones. I don't know why you're getting that result. Try playing music thru the speakers and the headphones at the same time and see if there is static and hum thru the speakers when you plug in your headphones. If so, it sounds like the jack on the headphone is pushing the contact fin into something metal. Like it's grounding it out. You'd have to take the lid off to watch when the jack is plugged in. It sounds like it is a mechanical problem with the way your headphones are plugged in. Weird."

Maybe it's an easy fix?

give more deets please, whats the issue?

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #18,930 of 19,145
I am on my 2nd Pioneer SX-1000TW. ......I saw a recapped of the same model. He said it worked perfect, and the speakers are clear with no hum. The headphones though have a static in one ear, and hum in the other. Also there is a pop in the speakers if I power it on with volume up. I just learned that the DC offset and bias should be factory tuned, and maybe this is that problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back