Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #18,931 of 19,143
- pop in the speakers....does it not have a relay?

- the headphone issue, is that entirely for headphones or does static or single-channel hum present itself if you put your ear to speakers as well? also, how loud of static is it? what impedance are the headphones?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #18,932 of 19,143
I'm not sure about a relay.

I just realized I can't hear it in the speaker because of my computer fans. I turned off the computer and sure enough, there is static cutting in and out in the right speaker also. The hum is in the left channel but I don't notice it enough on the speaker. The headphones magnify the problem.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #18,933 of 19,143
Here is my Yamaha RX-1130 circa 1988-89, it was TOTL at that time. I got it with some Magnapan SMGa. It has a cartoonishly large controller also. The receiver sounds great to me, and seems to use lighting scheme from early Pioneer Elite receivers.

_DSC7976.jpg
_DSC7978.jpg
51425402600_96c0c72a55_k (1).jpg

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #18,936 of 19,143
Love the old Sherwood gear!

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #18,937 of 19,143
Just popping in to say HI! Haven't been on Head Fi for quite a while but just caught up on THIS thread since it's my passion.

One change is I bought a pair of HE-500's and somewhere a number of pages back it was mentioned about how good the midrange on these is........very accurate opinion. I still love my HE-6SE (modded with the Audeze headband and sporting Vegan pads from Audeze) but switch back and forth once a week to the HE-500 and love them. Pristine condition, fully modded and using Vegan pads on them as well. Have the last two pair in existence probably................bought them towards the end of the Audeze run and glad I did but they are starting to flake at the transition to the Vegan area so gonna try the Dekoni replacement hybrid pads when UPS delivers them.

Still loving the Pioneer Spec rack system and of course all my headphones are fed from the speaker taps including the HE-500's. All headphones fed with Q French Silk cabling. One other thing I did this year is have my SG-9800 equalizer recapped................made a HUGE difference in how clean the sound is.

Very happy with the vintage systems and all are still in use. Glad to be back among my brethren. Hope you all are well...........

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #18,938 of 19,143
Just popping in to say HI! Haven't been on Head Fi for quite a while but just caught up on THIS thread since it's my passion.

One change is I bought a pair of HE-500's and somewhere a number of pages back it was mentioned about how good the midrange on these is........very accurate opinion. I still love my HE-6SE (modded with the Audeze headband and sporting Vegan pads from Audeze) but switch back and forth once a week to the HE-500 and love them. Pristine condition, fully modded and using Vegan pads on them as well. Have the last two pair in existence probably................bought them towards the end of the Audeze run and glad I did but they are starting to flake at the transition to the Vegan area so gonna try the Dekoni replacement hybrid pads when UPS delivers them.

Still loving the Pioneer Spec rack system and of course all my headphones are fed from the speaker taps including the HE-500's. All headphones fed with Q French Silk cabling. One other thing I did this year is have my SG-9800 equalizer recapped................made a HUGE difference in how clean the sound is.

Very happy with the vintage systems and all are still in use. Glad to be back among my brethren. Hope you all are well...........
The mids of the HE-500 are so good, I do regret selling my pair....Oh, and welcome back dude. Where you been?

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #18,939 of 19,143
The mids of the HE-500 are so good, I do regret selling my pair....Oh, and welcome back dude. Where you been?
Started a new job, helping out more and more with my now 4 year old grandson and just life in general I guess................glad to be back and thanks for the welcome back!

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #18,940 of 19,143
Hello to all old fellows audiophile and music lover....

I am now only in headphone listenings....Then i come back to headfi.... :)

I changed my marvellous Sansui AU-7700 to a Sansui alpha series ... More clean and lower noise floor for my loved Akg K340 headphone...I kept the Sansui AU 7700 in a box.... I dont think i will use it for music but more for my cinema on screen computer ....

The AKG K340 is a vintage work of art which was asking to be optimized by improving modifications but also for clean source....

I had bought the Sansui Alpha 6 or 5 years ago , because i was so much in love with the Sansui Au-7700 for my room/speakers .... I pay the alpha 300 bucks but it is a great deal for one of the top Sansui .....Pairing it with the difficult to drive K340 was a pairing in heaven....

My best to all vintage brothers....

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #18,941 of 19,143
Hello to all old fellows audiophile and music lover....

I am now only in headphone listenings....

I changed my marvellous Sansui AU-7700 to a Sansui alpha series... More clean and lower noise floor for my loved Akg K340 headphone...
Long time no see Richard. Good to see you back and still rocking your K340!

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #18,942 of 19,143
My best salutations to Monsterzero.....

I succeeded in the last month to put the K340 on his optimal level and i am astonished.... This headphone is the most underestimated vintage top of the cream headphone there is.... It is impossible to imagine if we had not optimize it with , clean source, amplification, vibrations controls , a bit of equalization and new good cables and new pads ( Vented holes pads from China) especially....

I am lucky....

Thanks for your welcome....

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #18,943 of 19,143
My best wishes and salutations to oregonian and SpeakerBox friends.... Happy to be here....

I came back because i already know the place here and some people like those who welcome me.... And i own always a Sansui, but these times i work with a vintage Sansui Au-Alpha 607i for my vintage AKG K340...

My acoustic speakers/room is replaced now by headphone listening....Solding my house to go in a smaller place at 71 is necessary.... I would have been sad to be frank going back to headphone after my dedicated acoustic room and speakers.... But the new Sansui, with a more clean output than my marvellous but less useful Sansui AU 7700 now without their matching speakers, is alimenting my K340 which are after the pyramids the technology from which i feel the more happiness....

Yes i exagerate here, but wait to listen to an optimally driven K340 , this is my end game.... Nothing i listen in my life touch it.... Even my room/speakers was not better on all counts.... For me in the vintage world, Sansui and this AKG K340 are one the most underrated toys on the market...

This alpha 607 is the first model of the famous alpha series, the last work of art of Sansui and the best amplifiers they ever designed.... I loved the AU-7700 so much i bought this alpha 5 years ago but never used it.... It was necessary to use it now because the AkG K340 are very sensitive to the noise floor level and this alpha is better than my AU-7700 for his lower noise floor and more refined sounding, less warmer but more clean.... With my speakers i prefered the tube like warmish AU-7700 but with the headphone the difference play for the alpha more cleanliness and higher refinement.... Then i use this 90 watts amplifier as a dedicated headphone amplifier only....

My late Ember tube amplifier which i sold could not have driven them with the same ease anyway and no need of tubes amplifier with any Sansui S.S. they always sound organic.... In fact my 2 Solid state Sansui had better "tubes sound" than the Ember tube amplifier.... :)

I am pretty sure the only thing that will improve over the Sansui Alpha working, would be the Berning ZOTL but the price is not the same....And i dont want to pay much for a little improving....Where i am now nothing is better if i dont pay a great deal more....If it is possible anyway to crush the K340 on all acoustic counts, and i am not sure at all about this.... My dynamic beyerdynamic Dt 990 pro or my Akg K701 or my two Stax electrostatic or the Hifiman He-400 planar , for example dont hold a candle to the hybrid K340 sunnier powerful and natural 3-d sound... and reading reviews i dont bet against my K340 for all the 4,000 dollars new headphone on the market.... For sure some will beat my K340, but trust me not by a so great margin.... And by God ! i pay them 100 bucks, like my Sansui AU 7700... I pay 300 bucks my alpha.... The S.Q./ price ratio is the only ratio that matter for me:)
:)

And by the way the top Alpha series model the Au-07 sell for 3,000 us dollars now.... And mine alpha sell around 1000 bucks used...Or a little more.... And their basic tech is identical, only refined.....

au-alpha607.jpg

https://audio-database.com/SANSUI/amp/au-alpha607.html

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #18,944 of 19,143
But the AKG K340 is my dream come true with music after all, the amplifier so good it is, is only the servant of this king....... It takes me time to learn how to use this headphone optimally.... It was necessary to mods them first and built all other audio elements all around them and for them ...New amplification, new dac, new cables, new pads, vibrations internal shell cups materials controls with 2 kind of materials, other modifications too....

At the end i cannot fathom anything that will be better on all acoustic counts under many thousand dollars and i am not even sure that anything can beat them really.... After all they were the Flagship of AKG 40 years ago and their technology even if successful was not continued....

Too complex technology to manage and improve well enough in a changing world with the ascent of the specialized headphone amplifiers in the decade after their introduction.... The K340 need some volts swing able enough powerful amplifier....And their shells cups house 2 new technology at the same time, then it would have been in need of more research to be acoustically optimized.... And many people begins to bought headphone specialized amplifiers at these times for more easy to drive portable headphone .... They are not made to be used walking from a phone for sure.... This explain why AKg put them aside for new design like the K1000 , which being different is not better....And the next flagship being the K701 is not even in the same league than the K340... I own them two....:)

This headphone is a cult object now always affordable at a relatively low cost because they will stay under the radar for many reasons, one being that to work at their peak level they ask for some mods... But there is a clear reason of their cult status, even in their raw out of the box state, it is the only new working technology piece of his kind on the market with hybridation of dynamic driver and electret which crossover is at at 4khz, then these dynamic and electret work in equal footing so to speak and more than that, they use 5 internal passive Helmholtz resonators that make the sound holographical , natural, in 3-d format in your room, if the recording is good, you dont feel the sound in your head.... Amazing.... I really love headphone now after buying 8 headphones at least i dont use anymore....

If you are curious about this headphone this article of the AKG company under my post explain it all.....Nothing they said is exagerated or untrue, it is information not marketing bull, i know it because i listen to them right now.... And this is an end game toy....The rest is hype and upgraditis for me....

Conclusion: Vintage is the road to go, for the sake of the S.Q./price ratio, and for a cultish product which had proven itself to be more than only good, after 40 years or thirty five years for the alpha amplifier, then we pay for an always underrated by hype, proven by time, masterpiece at a ridiculous low price...

Attachments

• AKG_K340.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #18,945 of 19,143
Just won this at auction:

146EDE91-9BCB-481C-9336-4911CA3AD1F6.jpeg

Should arrive in early January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back