Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #18,946 of 19,143
Very beautiful Braun CSV300 amplifier....Congratulations

CJG888

for this piece of art!

It is supposed to be 15-20 watts only but it seems to be a very fine amplifier, the design is appealling to me....Without indiscretion for sure if you want to answer only : how much do you pay ?

Please write a short review after the listening....

My best wishes to you....

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #18,947 of 19,143
Just popping in to say HI! Haven't been on Head Fi for quite a while but just caught up on THIS thread since it's my passion.

One change is I bought a pair of HE-500's and somewhere a number of pages back it was mentioned about how good the midrange on these is........very accurate opinion. I still love my HE-6SE (modded with the Audeze headband and sporting Vegan pads from Audeze) but switch back and forth once a week to the HE-500 and love them. Pristine condition, fully modded and using Vegan pads on them as well. Have the last two pair in existence probably................bought them towards the end of the Audeze run and glad I did but they are starting to flake at the transition to the Vegan area so gonna try the Dekoni replacement hybrid pads when UPS delivers them.

Still loving the Pioneer Spec rack system and of course all my headphones are fed from the speaker taps including the HE-500's. All headphones fed with Q French Silk cabling. One other thing I did this year is have my SG-9800 equalizer recapped................made a HUGE difference in how clean the sound is.

Very happy with the vintage systems and all are still in use. Glad to be back among my brethren. Hope you all are well...........
Welcome back from a fellow Northwesterner. As for being well, I'd be more well if the person in your avatar was my girlfriend (as long as my wife didn't know). :wink:

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #18,948 of 19,143
Very beautiful Braun CSV300 amplifier....Congratulations

CJG888

for this piece of art!

It is supposed to be 15-20 watts only but it seems to be a very fine amplifier, the design is appealling to me....Without indiscretion for sure if you want to answer only : how much do you pay ?

Please write a short review after the listening....

My best wishes to you....
Thank you!

I primarily bought it because I am a big fan of Dieter Rams and his clearly Bauhaus-inspired industrial design.

I paid 105€ including shipping, but took a bit of a gamble as it is untested. All the same, the important cosmetics are 9/10, and I am sure I can get it going again. At least the PSU reservoir caps will need to be changed (I’ll fit modern Elna or Nichicon and keep the originals in a safe place).

It will go in my home office / bedroom system, with this here:

43320EE1-49CA-4F77-8CD5-6B7BFA32CBEB.jpeg

as the source and a pair of Tang Band-based fullrange monitors of my own design.

I’ll be one of very few people converting a Dual 1019 from RCAs back to the original DIN plug!

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #18,949 of 19,143
PXL_20230206_081141634.jpg

PXL_20230206_070012587-2.jpg

Restored & recapped this Yamaha C-4 pre-amp / headphone amp. 79 parts latter still letting letting them settle and burn in, but initial impressions are really positive with the headphone section (lower right in the pic, used Silmic II's and Audio Note Kaisei's on it; and the rest threw in Nichicon MUSE ES's where bipolars were needed, kind of a Shrek motif)

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #18,950 of 19,143
All up and running now:

Dual 1019 in Ebel plinth with modded cocobolo-bodied M44-7 (Jico nude spherical stylus)

Modded EAR834P clone

Braun CSV300

DIY Tang Band monitors

5FD32D94-A11D-430E-9525-BF748DA7E1D5.jpeg

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #18,954 of 19,143
As stated elsewhere, today I had the opportunity to buy an immaculate TEAC A-6010 auto-reverse 7" Reel to Reel today for a fairly decent price of $350. I decided not to as my wife would have a non-Schiit fit.

Dammit!
I remember when I got my Teac 3340s years ago, I only paid $30 and my wife was not happy…especially so when I had it serviced lol -
588FF8BA-AE9A-4763-9567-EE0CC7518468.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #18,955 of 19,143
Anyone have any thoughts on whether there's a point to upgrading the "lamp wire" power cords on vintage units? (ex, to a thicker, modern 'hifi' type cable, or adding ground)

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #18,956 of 19,143
I am curious to know about that too.... :wink:

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #18,957 of 19,143
Anyone have any thoughts on whether there's a point to upgrading the "lamp wire" power cords on vintage units? (ex, to a thicker, modern 'hifi' type cable, or adding ground)
It could look cooler. Yup. It could. I do not think a cable makes any difference in the sound quality. If you are not having any problems with the cable and it does not look like a family of Free Range Mice babies are teething on it, why change it other than for looks? I can see doing so for looks if that is all that is "wrong" with it. Some cables look pretty cool and while that is a subjective thing so too, are claiming to hear something that is not really there. Subjective. :beerchug:

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #18,958 of 19,143
It could look cooler. Yup. It could. I do not think a cable makes any difference in the sound quality. If you are not having any problems with the cable and it does not look like a family of Free Range Mice babies are teething on it, why change it other than for looks? I can see doing so for looks if that is all that is "wrong" with it. Some cables look pretty cool and while that is a subjective thing so too, are claiming to hear something that is not really there. Subjective. :beerchug:

only technical reason I considered was that since it's just unshielded wire, I've found when other cables are near (ie, schiit adapter's wire) it causes very audible noise. So at the very least I was thinking no or less potential interference in either direction, and maybe a thicker gauge wire would have some benefit (?).

I'm not totally sold on the power cable thing either, but vintage stuff is significantly cheaper than basic modern cords so had me thinking what a bare minimum upgrade could accomplish. (also, this is a forum with people who believe in slathering 'nano oil' on parts to increase sound stage so I'm trying to keep a slightly open mind lol)

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #18,959 of 19,143
only technical reason I considered was that since it's just unshielded wire, I've found when other cables are near (ie, schiit adapter's wire) it causes very audible noise. So at the very least I was thinking no or less potential interference in either direction, and maybe a thicker gauge wire would have some benefit (?).

I'm not totally sold on the power cable thing either, but vintage stuff is significantly cheaper than basic modern cords so had me thinking what a bare minimum upgrade could accomplish. (also, this is a forum with people who believe in slathering 'nano oil' on parts to increase sound stage so I'm trying to keep a slightly open mind lol)

Another good reason to do it is to make sure the case is grounded. Don't mess with it unless you know what your doing though. I did it on my SX-1250, neutral is the lead that has a 2M Ohm resistance to ground. So you can measure from the old cord leads to the case and if it reads 2M or so that is where neutral on the new cord goes. Hot is the other. The third prong on the new cord goes to the case. It is a good update for safety.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #18,960 of 19,143
In my experience, power cables definitely make an audible difference. I did a cable shootout on my youtube channel where I tested vaious RCA, USB and power cables. They each made an audible difference in my chain, usually for the better, but sometimes not.

IMO fine tuning ones system via cable upgrades should be near the finish line. First your transducers, then your amp, then your DAC, and then finally cables. To my ears the first three components all made a pretty substantial difference, whereas cables , although I could def hear a difference, it wasnt as dramatic of a change as the other components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back