Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 13, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #18,451 of 19,142
I’m sending my Sansui au Alpha 907mr for a full body works to my Sansui’s guru - Pete’s Dad. :)
Re: Team Sansui

We gotta Sansui guru here in Pete’s Dad...say wot? Thinking about giving my big G some TLC. SoCal maybe? On another note, HE-6 on taps is still addicting!

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #18,452 of 19,142
Re: Team Sansui

We gotta Sansui guru here in Pete’s Dad...say wot? Thinking about giving my big G some TLC. SoCal maybe? On another note, HE-6 on taps is still addicting!

@petemac110 Dad is the Sansui guru but he is in Sydney Australia. :)

So you can send your big G to me and I’ll pass to him lol.

Hmmm I bet the HE-6 will sound great on speaker taps off the Sansui 907mr.

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #18,454 of 19,142
I have been interested in trying to use my Nad Power Envelope 7250 reciever speaker taps to power my HE-400 planar headphones. Is there something commercial I can buy to do this safely.
HiFiMan makes a contraption you can buy to use taps,but from my understanding it degrades the sound quality. Otherwise your best bet is to find a custom cable maker and have a cable made with 4 bare speaker wires on one end,and the HiFiMan interconnects on the other end.
All that being said,the HE400 isnt silly hard to drive like the HE6 is,so im not really sure as to why you want to try taps.

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #18,455 of 19,142
I have been interested in trying to use my Nad Power Envelope 7250 reciever speaker taps to power my HE-400 planar headphones. Is there something commercial I can buy to do this safely.

I have something like this :-
eBay item number: 172733761468

I say like as I can't remember who made it, you will need approriate balanced cable for the He-400's

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #18,456 of 19,142
I recently posted a photo of my Fisher 800C tube receiver and needless to say, I've really become hooked on this vintage tube gear. My latest addition is a Fisher X-200 tube integrated amp. Again, 7591s in the output and it's equal to the 800C in every way except FM. I may have to re-think my previous comment about my Sansui Eight receiver.

IMG_20191208_082955.jpg
IMG_20191208_145623.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #18,457 of 19,142
I recently posted a photo of my Fisher 800C tube receiver and needless to say, I've really become hooked on this vintage tube gear. My latest addition is a Fisher X-200 tube integrated amp. Again, 7591s in the output and it's equal to the 800C in every way except FM. I may have to re-think my previous comment about my Sansui Eight receiver.

Yggdrasil into Vintage amps. Similar to my setup. It’s lovely. I still have my 2 Sansui amps.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #18,459 of 19,142

Beautiful gear!

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #18,460 of 19,142
HiFiMan makes a contraption you can buy to use taps,but from my understanding it degrades the sound quality. Otherwise your best bet ...
(snip).
it won't, and it shouldn't. There's only a network of resistors in it.

In case anyone is interested, I took some shots of a loaned HE-6 Adapter:

The new leather pads are not like the velour one. It is more dense. Does not cause any sweating while wearing then in the heat.
The velour pads are directly connected to the pads, which made them easier to break and harder to apply.
The new ones, are on a gasket for lack of a better term, and all you have to do, is put in the first 3 (quite easy) and then hold
onto the gasket that the tabs are attached to, and hold the pads in place so the other three don't fall out, and then grab
hold of the gasket, pull it separately under the pads, and allow the fourth tab to fall right into place,
It's easier to show yow you than describe it over the internet, so just buy me a R/T airplane ticket from LaGuardia to your closest
airport and I will show you in person
tongue.gif
. There are some good deals on Priceline. Coach would be fine, I'm not one of those stuck up
people who require a first class seat.
beerchug.gif
Back to the music…my primary objective

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #18,461 of 19,142
it won't, and it shouldn't. There's only a network of resistors in it.
Vintage receivers tap off of the speaker amp to drive headphones,with only resistors in-between. I think if you ask any owners in this thread who have done an a/b of SQ from HP jack vs. taps you will find at the minimum,marginal degradation coming from the HP jack.
I used to own both the HE500 and HE6. With the HE6 I had no choice but to use taps. I tried the HE500 just for giggles,even though the jack drove them just fine. Taps provided a somewhat cleaner sound.
To be clear I did not use the HiFiMan dongle thing. I had a custom cable made that terminated in bare speaker wire, +/- for both the R and L channels.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #18,464 of 19,142
I'm using a Luxman LV-107u & Grado GS1000/AKG K872. Sounds great. My friend has a Liquid Crimson, and though the Crimson is better, i was surprised that the difference was rather small.
Tried at at meet to hear different amps priced $500-$1000, and the Luxman was far better.
Have a dream of trying a Luxman L-540 or L-550.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #18,465 of 19,142
Vintage receivers tap off of the speaker amp to drive headphones,with only resistors in-between. I think if you ask any owners in this thread who have done an a/b of SQ from HP jack vs. taps you will find at the minimum,marginal degradation coming from the HP jack.
I used to own both the HE500 and HE6. With the HE6 I had no choice but to use taps. I tried the HE500 just for giggles,even though the jack drove them just fine. Taps provided a somewhat cleaner sound.
To be clear I did not use the HiFiMan dongle thing. I had a custom cable made that terminated in bare speaker wire, +/- for both the R and L channels.

Agreed, I prefer my HE-500, LCD-3 and Mr. Speaker Ether flow all direct from the taps over the headphone jack. Cleaner sound, more articulate bass, better imaging and a much more speaker like presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back