Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #17,552 of 19,142
Pontus IC-300A
What did I buy for $13 at Goodwill today? There’s almost nothing on the web about this unit! Seems like the company Pontus is a Korean manufacturer. Amp is from 1979. I think it does 50W/ch based on the front plate meter. I’m most interested in the headphone out, but I’m nervous to plug anything in there yet! Anyone with some insight?

Congratulations TooPoor! I think this was a very good amplifier....in fact you hit probably the jackpot for the price paid...

Read the third comment about this Korean manufacturer here :

http://thestereoclub.blogspot.ca/2009/02/rarity-and-something-of-mystery-pontus.html

«Wow, that's quite a statement to make...and it's wrong. As the manager of a high-end stereo store in the Syracuse, NY area in the late 70's, early 1980's I can assure you Pontus was a legit manufacturer, and their equipment wasn't half bad! We had a complete line; receivers of various wattages, tuner, integrated amplifier and maybe, if I remember right, a cassette deck. We laughed at the name at the time since the 'biggies' were the Pioneer's, Kenwoods, Marantz and such were thought to be the only equipment worth anything. But we also sold Philips and Mitsubishi as well as high end like Threshold, Bryston, Adcom, B&W and so on, so odd brand names were not unusual. In fact, we used Pontus integrated amps in our sound rooms to demonstrate speakers because we felt they were that clean. Clean and cheap high power. One day we opened up a Pontus receiver and were surprised to find fully discrete amplifier components, and good quality semi-conductors at that! Remember at that time, the large scale integrated circuit amplifier blocks were the norm and some of the cheaper stuff used stereo integrated blocks. We sold many "systems" built around Pontus equipment and had very few problems and virtually no returns. I would say that's a pretty good record. If I was a collector I would definitely have a piece of Pontus equipment!»

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #17,553 of 19,142
I suspect that Pontus was the first NA market penetration by Kyocera who years later started selling under their own name for a brief period. The build quality was simply astounding at the price point and the audio reflected this.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #17,555 of 19,142
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #17,556 of 19,142
Excuse my cliche response, but no... I’ve been too busy. The speaker taps are wire only so I’ll have to make something from cable I have lying around from my DIY speaker builds. I’m genuinely impressed by the condition of this thing considering it’s age and that I found it at Goodwill, so my hopes are high.

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #17,557 of 19,142
Been enjoying both the Sansui AU-555A and Sony TA-4650 so much in the past few months that my one time desire to buy an end-game SET 45 amp has lessened. I'm almost completely satisfied at the moment, and my wallet thanks me.

I really can't choose between the two.

The Sony is perfect for daytime listening. I use it every day when working for its incredibly smooth sound and fatigue-free listening experience. Its smoothness tends to be its biggest strength and weakness. It also has a 3D soundstage that is unique to V-Fets too - about the most you're likely to hear from SS. It doesn't quite have the drive for bass heavy music and everything sounds a bit more distant compared to the Sansui.

Considering just how unobtanium that old school V-Fet technology is, and I effectively got a brand new model due to servicing and new V-Fets, I don't think I'll ever let it go. It just has such a special, addictive quality to it. They say that V-Fets have terrific synergy and sound incredible when combined with a DHT preamp. Well I haven't had the opportunity to test this out, but it sure sounds great with a NOS tube DAC.

The Sansui, on the other hand, certainly isn't as fast or smooth and it does sound a touch grainy at times. But it's warm, rich, organic tone, drive and intimate soundstage continues to draw me in, suits my musical tastes better and gets my body moving more. I mostly use it at night and for shorter listening sessions. When it comes to long listening sessions the Sony will always win.

Two amps that serve very valuable services which I can't live without. The Sony for the daytime and long listening sessions and the Sansui for when I want to just have fun, feel the music more or just rock out.

I feel that the Sansui AU-777A would bridge the gap between the two, if I could ever find one.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #17,558 of 19,142
I bought this exceptional sounding vintage Sansui AU-719 integrated amplifier. It came in yesterday. The best amp I've owned in the past was the Eddie Current Zana Deux S & based on memory, I prefer the AU-719's sound to the ZDS. (±)

Last night I listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 2017 remix by Giles Martin & my long awaited dream, my search for the "BeaTles" Holy Grail sound is here. I'll describe the sound on another occasion. Oh, I was listening w/ the original Grado PS1000 which I also consider to be the best headphone. (±)

Last but not least I want to thank Richard51 who owns a Vintage Sansui amp & swears by it;. In sharing his time and his opinions via messages he played a part in my decision to buy this amp.

Edit (added) : this is from the Vintage Sansui Amps thread on Audiokarma :

"There is no dedicated headphone amp section in the AU series. The headphone socket is connected to the main amp but with a pair of resistors to reduce the effective output to the headphone socket.
So, in essence, when headphones are connected you're listening to the same amplifier section that powers your speakers "

The quality of the pictures doesn't do the amp justice aesthetically. This amp looks brand new. I don't own a digital camera or iPhone so the pictures were taken w/ my MacBook Pro Photo Booth camera which is why they are grainy.

(±) : IMHO

From HiFi Engine :

Specifications
Power output: 90 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.015%

Damping factor: 110

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 88dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Channel separation: 65dB (MM), 70dB (line)

Output: 200mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)

Dimensions: 430 x 168 x 395mm

Weight: 16kg

Year: 1980

Photo on 2018-03-10 at 8.10 PM.jpg Photo on 2018-03-10 at 8.25 PM.jpg Photo on 2018-03-10 at 8.10 PM #2.jpg Photo on 2018-03-10 at 8.10 PM #3.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #17,559 of 19,142
That's a beautiful Sansui................

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #17,561 of 19,142
I found/bought a Technics sl-d202 at the local antique center, just needed a new stylus and a wipe down and cleaned the contacts just in case. Now I have hooked up to my sansui au2200 and with an afternoons listen, yep its keeper. Cost me less than my current TT will sell for so all is good keeping it vintage.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #17,562 of 19,142
I have just joined here. I see this is an old post but could you tell me if my Koss E/9B energizer will work with a Bryston 4B amp? Hope you get some notification that I am asking this. I am clueless about this website. Thanks

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #17,563 of 19,142
I know people on here talk about the mass power of vintage receivers being the bonus but I bought a Rotel RX-150A a year or so ago, mainly for the phono pre-amp as I bought a Trio Turntable and my Yamaha AV didn't have a pre-amp.

It only does 7.5W per channel at 8 ohms but running it through my speakers (Mordaunt Short Aviano 2) it rarely goes that much above half way because that is pretty loud for home use. With Sextetts it goes to half way at max. Sounds glorious on speakers or the phones and looks lovely with the green tuner and glowing orange dial pointer. When I bought it the pointer lamp wasn't working so I replaced it with a 0.4W (I think) one that was supposed to be for a Marantz because I couldn't find a 0.5W (I think) one which is what it was suppose to be. Can't be sure on those wattages. I know I bought the closest and it is a tiny "rice" bulb.

I also de-oxited it when I got it and cleaned out a lot of the front after years of sweat and whatever else. Don't get any noise now when you turn knobs or flick the paddles.

It does not like my Sennheiser 438s though. Makes them sound like Poundland budget headphones while they sound quite good through the Yamaha RX-V361. I suppose that headphone input is as described about modern headphone amps although the Sextetts sound fine through that too. I just think music sounds much much better through the Rotel.

I like the wood effect but I don't like the 70s "English tan" coloured vinyl so I reveneered it (and the turntable) with real macassar ebony and then danish oiled it. Lovely little amp and does the job.

My room is about 5metres by 4metres.

This is a picture I did after I'd done my veneering but this isn't where it is all at. That was just to have a show pic like all you lot who have dedicated top space for your stuff (jealous me.) In reality the 48" TV is where the turntable and amp are in the first pic. The turntable is on a shelf above the TV and the amp is on one of the shelves in the cabinet. The veneering being dark with the "orange" grained bits reminds me of Galaxy chocolate adverts. Looks right for a unit made in the era of smoky rooms and tar covered walls....eek.

PIctures:

This is how it all fits together. We only have 1 "lounge" so everything is on this cabinet. TV on top with the Aviano 2s, Turntable above the TV. Left side has the Rotel at the bottom, Right has the DVD/CD/SACD player, TV boc and Yamaha AV at the bottom. AV and Rotel are linked to a switch which goes to the LR speakers. Aviano 7 in the middle instead of a top drawer.

EDIT: I have looked back into my purchases and the "rice bulb" I put in the dial pointer (inside the existing black rubber/silicon housing) was a Marantz 8V 40ma. The original in the Rotel should have been 8V 50ma. It is a clear white bulb and the dial pointer has a very thin red coating at the top of it which is why you get the Orange glow. The actual pointer is clear plastic so it just takes the "orange" from that thin red coating the white light shines through.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #17,564 of 19,142
p.s. I read the name Kyocera a lot in this thread (I haven't read all 1000 odd pages.) I remember back in the late nineties/early noughties there were quite a lot of Kyocera dot matrix printers around. Never seen or heard of them doing other electronics before this thread.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #17,565 of 19,142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back