Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #17,476 of 19,136
Fisher X-100 came today and it won't power on. I'm beyond disappointed. It came with an European plug, so I plugged it into an adapter for UK use but no such luck. The adapter works fine with other EU devices.

I switched out the fuse it came with but it appears to be okay after having used it in another device.

It was ridiculously well-packed - the box was about 5x as big as the amp and took me 5 minutes to get to. So I doubt it was damaged in transit.

Looks like I'll never get the chance to hear one of these, as I'm probably just going to ask for a refund.

Check the internal fuses of the amp

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #17,479 of 19,136
It sounds like you replaced the fuse in the plug/adaptor.

There should be a plastic thing on the back of the amp, next to where the power cable goes in, that holds another fuse.

That was the one I switched out. I can't change the one in the plug because I can't see any way to open it. I can't test another plug either because it seems to be internally wired.

I guess I'm out of options.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #17,481 of 19,136
Most of the vintage gear I buy needs a trip(or two)to the tech shop.I would look for a vintage repair person locally before you throw in the towel,but I understand your frustration

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #17,482 of 19,136
Most of the vintage gear I buy needs a trip(or two)to the tech shop.I would look for a vintage repair person locally before you throw in the towel,but I understand your frustration

That's why I've only looked to buy fully restored units, preferably by professionals, which is what I've been able to do so far.

For the Fisher I bought it from an online shop, who weren't exactly forthcoming with what changes have been made other than all equipment is "fully tested and refurbished if needed." I thought it would be fine considering I wasn't dealing with an individual.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #17,483 of 19,136
Outstanding piece of kit. If you can get a nice one priced well, jump.

I went to hear it and was in great shape. Easy decision to buy.

2556BC7C-6275-46C9-B5C3-E8EF17877B77.jpeg

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #17,484 of 19,136
I finally got my HE-6 paired properly with my Pioneer SX-727, the special speaker connectors held me back a bit. I have two pairs of speaker wire from Oak Tree, I now have more $ into the speaker wire than the receiver itself lol. I have one pair hooked up to HifiMAN's HE Adapter, more for for convenience and length than out of necessity. My source atm is also a bit unusual; a MacBook Pro with a Halide Design (Devilsound) Spdif Bridge, running iTunes > Amarra Hifi, into my (og) Matrix Mini-i (dual ad-1955's). I'm very please with the results; this may be the best I've heard my HE-6's.
Pioneer_Speaker-Plugs_Pre-Wired_Custom-OakTree_Vintage_16g_for_vintage_Pioneer_Stereo_Receiver_Speaker_Connection_web.jpg

:L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #17,485 of 19,136
Just wondering if anyone here knows a place in San Diego that can restore my pioneer sx 1010? Tia

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #17,486 of 19,136
Not sure it qualifies as vintage yet but I received a Teac A-H500i yesterday and it sure beats my (unserviced and unrecapped) 7700 in a few departments, cleaner, more transparent and detailed and absolutely no noise floor I can hear. This said there is no way it's going to displace or supercede the Sansui, I am just glad to have both now. I paid only £76 for it (inc P&P) which is more than a bargain IMO (usually goes for £120 at the minimum).

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #17,487 of 19,136
I am sorry for us because of your impending review and beyond words for you....

Fisher X-100 came today and it won't power on. I'm beyond disappointed. It came with an European plug, so I plugged it into an adapter for UK use but no such luck. The adapter works fine with other EU devices.

I switched out the fuse it came with but it appears to be okay after having used it in another device.

It was ridiculously well-packed - the box was about 5x as big as the amp and took me 5 minutes to get to. So I doubt it was damaged in transit.

Looks like I'll never get the chance to hear one of these, as I'm probably just going to ask for a refund.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #17,488 of 19,136
Not sure it qualifies as vintage yet but I received a Teac A-H500i yesterday and it sure beats my (unserviced and unrecapped) 7700 in a few departments, cleaner, more transparent and detailed and absolutely no noise floor I can hear. This said there is no way it's going to displace or supercede the Sansui, I am just glad to have both now. I paid only £76 for it (inc P&P) which is more than a bargain IMO (usually goes for £120 at the minimum).

My 7700 Sansui was recapped, and i can hear no noise even with my sensitive AKG K 340, the musicality is amazing, and with a good dac, the details are here.... I know you love your Sansui, but a recapping process is mandatory after all this time....I am sure the Teac is good.... best regards

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #17,489 of 19,136
My 7700 Sansui was recapped, and i can hear no noise even with my sensitive AKG K 7700, the musicality is amazing, and with a good dac, the details are here.... I know you love your Sansui, but a recapping process is mandatory after all this time....I am sure the Teac is good.... best regards
Good to know a recapped 7700 has no audible noise floor, I should recap mine at some point I guess as this might bring out those missing subtle reverb decays I can clearly hear with the Teac.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #17,490 of 19,136
I dont doubt one second that the TEAC may be more revealing,(all the review of the TEAC are amazing) but i have already plenty of details with the Sansui, the musicality, the organic flowing of the music. this is what i have with the 7700 ; there exist more revealing amplifier i am sure, for example ,my TOTL Sansui AU-x701 is more revealing, but more musical than the Au-7700 it is not... And the Sansui AU-x701 is absolutely not cold analitycal though...Then i think that recapping is the way....

Good to know a recapped 7700 has no audible noise floor, I should recap mine at some point I guess as this might bring out those missing subtle reverb decays I can clearly hear with the Teac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back