Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #16,831 of 19,143
That is one beautiful stack of gear!

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #16,832 of 19,143
My HE6 cable arrived today! Brandon(Peterek) hooked me up!I ordered a 3' HiFiMan connector to 4pin mini XLR interconnect,and then and a 7 foot interconnect terminated in speaker wire(no resistor).He included an adapter that I can use for balanced connection too.
smily_headphones1.gif

On to the sound of the HE6 via my 881.....

One word: Wow!

I was a bit concerned that my 881 wouldnt have the horses to drive these beasts....wrong.I cant get the volume past 10 o'clock before im blowing out my ears.The 881 is providing so much extra juice im now curious to see what my other two receivers can do....they will be back from the shop in ten days.

I know one member here was wondering if he needed to spend $$$ for a dedicated amp to drive them...the answer is no.Might there be better options out there?Probably,but Im quite satisfied,and bang for the buck, a vintage receiver cannot be beaten. 

The things I have been missing in music all this time!

Detail.
Mids.
Slam.
Separation.
Imaging.

These are a brand new,un-burned in,stock pair,and I can already say these are the best pair of headphones I have ever heard.

I do not find them to be sibilant,though theyre def bright,but not in a peaky way.

I tried all different types of music with them,from classic rock to metal to blues to deep trance and didnt find them to be lacking in any way. 

TL,DR

My best headphone journey is finished.
gs1000.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #16,833 of 19,143
I have been saying that for a while now. Even a 30-watt receiver will sound good. Myself uses the 60-watt, SX3800 more than the 100-watt, SX3900 to drive headphones. All it takes is a little power.

Welcome to the brotherhood of speaker tap listening..........

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #16,834 of 19,143
I'm looking to add vinyl to my setup, I have a Sansui au 2200 with a phono stage built in but I can't find what sort it is? and yes I feel like a right newbie asking. You can point me to other threads if needed. My budget for the turntable is small (£200) but I need a clue as to what to look for, it would be a place holder for future. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #16,835 of 19,143
  I'm looking to add vinyl to my setup, I have a Sansui au 2200 with a phono stage built in but I can't find what sort it is? and yes I feel like a right newbie asking. You can point me to other threads if needed. My budget for the turntable is small (£200) but I need a clue as to what to look for, it would be a place holder for future. 

That would probably be for a standard moving magnet cartridge.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #16,836 of 19,143

I'm sure it's moving magnet. When newbies to vinyl ask me my advice on a first turntable I always tell them to track down an 80's Technics P mount table like an sl-qd 22 or 33. They're cheap, built like tanks, won't ruin your albums, and Audio Technica still makes surprisingly decent sounding P mount carts for like 20-30 bucks...

Edit: also forgot to add that they're as close as you'll ever get to a plug and play Turntable. No set up except maybe tweeking the tracking force

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #16,838 of 19,143
Thanks for the replies, its funny how you can be a newbie at one thing and an old hand at others.

Yup, my grandmother used to say if you don't learn at least one new thing a day, its not a good day.

I'm guessing you could find a working old Technics and throw a new Audio Technica P mount cart on there for less than a 100 pounds if you look around. That should set you up for a little while.

I had an SL-QD22 in my attic, and hooked it up to the downstairs system and was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded with a new cheap AT cart...

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #16,839 of 19,143
No the iDo sends a digital signal to the Modi MB just like the CLAS, PURE, Cambridge D100 and many others. The iPod & iDO serve as a transport to the Modi MB.  I find the Line out of the iDo to not sound as good as the coax out into a different DAC, almost any other DAC, :)

JM2C & YMMV,
r2

Thanks for the recommendation. Got a Modi MB today and I have to say it's an improvement over the iDo...........

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #16,840 of 19,143
Thanks for the recommendation. Got a Modi MB today and I have to say it's an improvement over the iDo...........

Glad all is good.

I have a variety of iPod digital docks(DACs/amps) and now use them with external multibit DACs and amps.   I am glad they included digital outs.  Most of these are getting some age on them and their chips show it. They are back to being useful again (as in not obsolete: reference to Schiit thread). 

JMTC,
r2

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #16,841 of 19,143

I'm not bashing, I'm really happy to hear this. I always admired the analogue side of your playback chain; from preamp to headphones. I always thought you'd hear a difference by upgrading your digital stage and that sounds like you've found it too with the modest, by highly regarded Mimby. Congrats, man!

Maybe this year I'll finally step into the fold with a vintage amp or integrated myself. Though lately I'm starting to feel a deep connection with r2muchstuff's name...

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #16,842 of 19,143

Hi, I've been trying to find out information about the L + R mode (see attached photo above) on my Supreme 600.  I've tried AudioKarma, all sorts of different words/ terms, associations on Google, all without success.  I downloaded the Owner's Manual and here's what it says about the L + R mode :

"L + R ……….  The left and right channels are mixed together and are heard from both speakers"

My questions is : is this a "Mono" mode or something else ? I always thought Mono was centred and not mixed together at the extremes (L + R).    As some of you who will read this might perceive, I'm not tech savvy but I do love this amp.  
biggrin.gif

Thank you in advance to anyone who might be able and willing to help me out. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #16,843 of 19,143
i wondered about this myself, 
wouldn't true "mono" be be just one signal, played equally between two (or one speaker) 
whereas a "l+r" mode would take a stereo recording, and give it a mono effect ? 

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #16,844 of 19,143
  i wondered about this myself, 
wouldn't true "mono" be be just one signal, played equally between two (or one speaker) 
whereas a "l+r" mode would take a stereo recording, and give it a mono effect ? 

I had a Kenwood KA-8300 last year and it had a "Mono" mode.  The sound came out of both R & L sides of my headphones but it was centred.  The L + R mode on the Supreme 600 doesn't sound the same if memory serves me right.  Its more of a less detailed stereo sound ... I think.  
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #16,845 of 19,143

Hi, I've been trying to find out information about the L + R mode (see attached photo above) on my Supreme 600.  I've tried AudioKarma, all sorts of different words/ terms, associations on Google, all without success.  I downloaded the Owner's Manual and here's what it says about the L + R mode :

"L + R ……….  The left and right channels are mixed together and are heard from both speakers"

My questions is : is this a "Mono" mode or something else ? I always thought Mono was centered and not mixed together at the extremes (L + R).    As some of you who will read this might perceive, I'm not tech savvy but I do love this amp.  
biggrin.gif

Thank you in advance to anyone who might be able and willing to help me out. 
beerchug.gif

My Pioneer SC 100 (Pre Amp from 1968) for "Mode" has the following:

Stereo - Rev & Norm
Mono - L , R and L + R

By 1970 the listing for "Mode" dropped the Mono Labeling, leaving just the Rev, Stereo, L, R,  &  L + R.

My understanding has always been that L + R is a combining of the Stereo signals to create a Mono output to both of the speakers.

This could be used in various ways for level setting/matching as well as in situations where speaker placement prevented a proper stereo set up, such as Large area "parties" or multiple office spaces background "music/noise" etc.

JMTC,
r2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back