Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 10, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #16,801 of 19,145

The headphone out is via resistors at 150 ohms for most of these.  Low impedance phones get too bass rich for me.  Beyerdynamic 250 or greater Ohm phones work real well here.  My Senheiser HD 650 is hit or miss as the bass can get in the way.  I do not have the HD 800 but if they are more like Beyer they may be a good fit.

r2

+1
Though it does work with my AD2000s
L3000.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #16,805 of 19,145
My HD650's sound fantastic with my Sansui 9090. Not bass heavy at all, with tons of soundstage width and deapth and good detail

They should,being 300ohm...the headphones r2 and I are talking about are low ohm dynamics...doesnt have the same effect on planars though...

Speaking of which i just got one of the last remaining BNIB HE6s on the planet...waiting for a speaker tap cable then my Sansui should do pretty good driving them with 60 wpc @ 8ohms

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #16,806 of 19,145
They should,being 300ohm...the headphones r2 and I are talking about are low ohm dynamics...doesnt have the same effect on planars though...

Speaking of which i just got one of the last remaining BNIB HE6s on the planet...waiting for a speaker tap cable then my Sansui should do pretty good driving them with 60 wpc @ 8ohms

Nice! Was posting more for the guy asking about the HD800's though lol

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #16,807 of 19,145
  Hey all.  What's the general consensus on the best brand vintage receivers for the HD800?  Thinking about Sansui.

​I prefer a classic receiver from the 70s.  Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer and Sony to name but four marques.  I would think the 'phone output on any would be robust enough to drive those headphones.  Why?  As I recall, there were no headphone amps back then.  The jack on the front of your receiver was what you had and what you used and none of mine ever failed me.  Never.  My Sony is well over 40 years old now and the headphone output is excellent. I use mine for vinyl, CD and with a Grace Encore in one of tape inputs, internet radio, including Pandora One and SiriusXM.

I would look for a receiver that has features you desire and looks to match your preference(s).  Looks are important.  Let no one tell you other wise.  They are the first thing we notice about any thing or any one. 

Enjoy the search, buying one and finally, listening to your music.

Edit because I can not spell.  It is a toadish thing...

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #16,808 of 19,145
Unfortunately, people with low impedance headphones are not getting anywhere near the best sound.  The high-value resistors that all past and present amplifiers use, 150 to 330 ohms, negatively impacts sound quality significantly.  I didn't want to believe it, since the headphone jack is so convenient, but after listening through a simple resistor divider off the speaker taps I was totally blown away by the difference.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #16,809 of 19,145
  Unfortunately, people with low impedance headphones are not getting anywhere near the best sound.  The high-value resistors that all past and present amplifiers use, 150 to 330 ohms, negatively impacts sound quality significantly.  I didn't want to believe it, since the headphone jack is so convenient, but after listening through a simple resistor divider off the speaker taps I was totally blown away by the difference.

What would one need to run the HD800 off speaker taps, and is there a benefit to doing so?

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #16,810 of 19,145

What would one need to run the HD800 off speaker taps, and is there a benefit to doing so?

You could run the HD800 directly off the speaker taps. People do, if they think it sounds better that way.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #16,811 of 19,145

No...it has a sensitivity of 102 and its 300ohms...headphone jack will work no problem out of a good receiver.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #16,812 of 19,145

You could run the HD800 directly off the speaker taps. People do, if they think it sounds better that way.

Really?
confused_face_2.gif

they must have like zero wiggleroom going from silent to explosion

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #16,813 of 19,145
Check out these links:

Rob Robinette's page
https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneResistorNetworkCalculator.htm

...and from our own forum...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421644/using-speaker-outputs-to-drive-headphones-and-what-awesome-results

Most of the headphones I've tested were low impedance, 50 ohms or less, and showed marked improvement from the speaker outs through the adapter.  I actually compared the frequency response of the amp from the speaker outs with the headphones, and from the headphone out with the headphones plugged in and the results were pretty amazing.  Almost flat for the speaker outs and variations of up to 8db for the headphone jack.

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #16,814 of 19,145
  Check out these links:

Rob Robinette's page
https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneResistorNetworkCalculator.htm

...and from our own forum...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421644/using-speaker-outputs-to-drive-headphones-and-what-awesome-results

Most of the headphones I've tested were low impedance, 50 ohms or less, and showed marked improvement from the speaker outs through the adapter.  I actually compared the frequency response of the amp from the speaker outs with the headphones, and from the headphone out with the headphones plugged in and the results were pretty amazing.  Almost flat for the speaker outs and variations of up to 8db for the headphone jack.

Does the adapter have a resistor in it,or is it direct,full contact with the taps?

It would seem to me like I said above,you would have very little room to play with,volume wise before you blew your ears out 

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #16,815 of 19,145
  Does the adapter have a resistor in it,or is it direct,full contact with the taps?

It would seem to me like I said above,you would have very little room to play with,volume wise before you blew your ears out 

Yes it does, also, such adapters should have a constant dumpy load with tube amps, otherwise, say good bye to your transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back