Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 28, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #13,621 of 19,142
I know I've been fighting the urge to buy that 980 on AK. I really don't need it, but I wouldn't mind having a backup receiver and since it's had the PS rebuilt already...

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #13,622 of 19,142
Here's the four I got all together the other day. The 2220 needs new transistors otherwise it's almost non-existant left channel and low volume right channel, needs some new caps and four new feet (why are the feet almost always the most missing thing on Marantz?...). The 2225 works perfect just needs to be cleaned, one new foot and a new push button and I'd better put a new power cord on it. 2240 works but has horrible crackle on the right channel and needs to be cleaned. The 2250B I've not gotten to yet and needs the selector pot fixed and two new knobs aaaaaaand obviously all new LED lights on each. They will be fun to work on over time!

The SX-1050 works fantastic but it picks up interferance from my Wireless router (I've had to turn off the 2.4Ghz band) I've never had that happen before with these old receivers picks up static in the left channel (WiFi off and it ceases), anyone else exerience this? Even when I was using my phone as a wireless hotspot it'd make static when ever it was being used. It was marked as "parts/service" on the price tag, two fuses were blown and the stereo lever switch was very corroded and so were the pots/other levers. I cleaned it up and it works like new and looks great.

Are the four switches that are together, Is their lever switch different theme from the other 5 lever switches? In Oregonians photo it appears the four together have different looking lever switchs. There's some lever switches on eBay but at $9 ea+$4 shipping is not so great... I wonder why each one of them would be gone 
angry_face.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #13,623 of 19,142
Mine aren't really vintage, but I have a pair of JVC "Dynamic Super-A" class RX-817V receivers that are top notch, and I've had them for nearly 20 years.
Their rated output is conservatively stated as being 105 watts/channel, while maintaining distortion levels at a whopping .007%. That's 1/4th the distortion of my excellent Yamaha 2 channel receiver I bought about 5 years ago.
They intentionally run hot (you could probably literally do some cooking on them)  because they're inefficient power hungry beasts and because they're class A, which means that their output transistors are active during the entire musical waveform, unlike most which are either B or A/B class, wherein two transistors each do 1/2 of the waveform. This helps to attribute to the ultra low distortion.
If anyone has this model for sale, let me know because I"d buy it as a backup in the rare chance that one of mine finally gives out.

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #13,624 of 19,142
Yup, my Rowland amps are class A and you could fry an egg on one of them (needs a bias adjustment which I will do soon).  Love the sound of class A amps!

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #13,626 of 19,142

I know I've been fighting the urge to buy that 980 on AK. I really don't need it, but I wouldn't mind having a backup receiver and since it's had the PS rebuilt already...

Ah, the chorus of growing whispers inside your head. 
evil_smiley.gif

LOL!!

I just put my 980 in the shop and the shop keeper had a couple of really nice pieces. Sooooo tempted to grab one of the two Marantz he had but I know so little about them I didn't want to do anything until I talked to the know-it-alls :wink: 

I think the models were 2213 and 2230. Both are in amazing condition and personally reconditioned by the owner. Guy is about his business so I doubt they'll be in anything other than top quality. He told me that he upgraded the lights to led's so he said they pop like non other. I've had a great time with my 980 and I plan using it for a long long time but I've got that itch and I'm dying to know what else is out there. The only other Vintage amp I have is a SA-8100 that needs a lot of work but when I can get it working just right it sounds pretty stinking good! So of course that means there's gotta be other great deals out there. 

I'll be using them solely with headphones so the 18 watts per and 38 per should be more than enough. 

What do you guys think is a fair deal for those two and anyone here have any strong opinions on either one I'd love to hear it! 

Once he comes back and lets me know how my 980 is doing I'll keep everyone updated on how its all going and the type of work that needs to be done to it. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #13,627 of 19,142
Anyone has experience with vintage mcintosh pwer amp like the 2505? Im considering a sansui ba5000 for my sansui au20000 but it has no headphones out. The 2505 has hp out, so i can alternate between mcintosh and au20000. On ebay the price for ba5000 and 2505 are about the same price. Im using modded t50rp, hd800 and kef ls50 speaker.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #13,628 of 19,142
Anyone has experience with vintage mcintosh pwer amp like the 2505? Im considering a sansui ba5000 for my sansui au20000 but it has no headphones out. The 2505 has hp out, so i can alternate between mcintosh and au20000. On ebay the price for ba5000 and 2505 are about the same price. Im using modded t50rp, hd800 and kef ls50 speaker.

I have never been disappointed by any of McIntosh's core products. I really like how their power amps sound. The 2505 is not the absolute best amp they ever made, and can have the slightest whisper of a noise floor, but the sound tone is impressive. Also, blue meters = heaven.
The problem you might have is the itch to upgrade your preamp, as the Mac power amp will reveal any flaws you have in your signal path.
McIntosh amps are also very easy to get parts for if you need a repair, just as a consideration.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #13,630 of 19,142
Hey guys. It's been quite some time since I've visited this thread, but I used to be somewhat of a regular. I was able to take away lot's of good information here and have owned several very nice vintage pieces in the past based on what I learned from this thread.

This brings me to a request. I'm looking to score another receiver to drive some nice floorstanders. Unfortunately life is a little different for me now than  it was when I was enjoying hunting for these pieces in the past and I'm not in a position to hunt these like I used to.

I'd like to buy another Pioneer 70's receiver. I'm looking for an sx 80 or 50 series model ( 1050, 1080, 1250 or 1280). Condition needs to be functionally good because I'm not able to do a full restoration on the electrical. I can do repair work on the wood cabinet though.

So if anyone should come across one of these or would like to sell one please give me a shout. I would be willing to drive to collect on one of these...Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee or surrounding areas.

Thanks in advance everyone and I apologize for the off topic.

best,

Matt

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #13,632 of 19,142
  Here's the four I got all together the other day. The 2220 needs new transistors otherwise it's almost non-existant left channel and low volume right channel, needs some new caps and four new feet (why are the feet almost always the most missing thing on Marantz?...). The 2225 works perfect just needs to be cleaned, one new foot and a new push button and I'd better put a new power cord on it. 2240 works but has horrible crackle on the right channel and needs to be cleaned. The 2250B I've not gotten to yet and needs the selector pot fixed and two new knobs aaaaaaand obviously all new LED lights on each. They will be fun to work on over time!

The SX-1050 works fantastic but it picks up interferance from my Wireless router (I've had to turn off the 2.4Ghz band) I've never had that happen before with these old receivers picks up static in the left channel (WiFi off and it ceases), anyone else exerience this? Even when I was using my phone as a wireless hotspot it'd make static when ever it was being used. It was marked as "parts/service" on the price tag, two fuses were blown and the stereo lever switch was very corroded and so were the pots/other levers. I cleaned it up and it works like new and looks great.

Are the four switches that are together, Is their lever switch different theme from the other 5 lever switches? In Oregonians photo it appears the four together have different looking lever switchs. There's some lever switches on eBay but at $9 ea+$4 shipping is not so great... I wonder why each one of them would be gone 
angry_face.gif

I wish I had the space to collect more vintage pieces. It must be nice to have the space required to mount a collection of vintage beauties . Unfortunately my tiny apartment does not afford me the luxury of collecting vintage units. That is a nice stack of Marantz units you got there.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #13,633 of 19,142
  I have never been disappointed by any of McIntosh's core products. I really like how their power amps sound. The 2505 is not the absolute best amp they ever made, and can have the slightest whisper of a noise floor, but the sound tone is impressive. Also, blue meters = heaven.
The problem you might have is the itch to upgrade your preamp, as the Mac power amp will reveal any flaws you have in your signal path.
McIntosh amps are also very easy to get parts for if you need a repair, just as a consideration.

Yep pretty spot on on the mc2500. The one I used to own was just a touch noisy with a beautiful tonal balance. So I restored it including replacing most of the transitors, especially the noisy ones, with low noise trans and the noise floor was greatly improved. It was whisper quiet out of my sensitive cans. It's a very good amp and excellent once restored properly. Restoring one is realatively simple. There's not a lot of parts, it's the design and output transformers that make the 2500 special. Some prefer them to some of the mac tubes amps. Now I wouldn't go that far, but I did like it better than a ma6200(which I really loved), but not as much as my 2205.

Btw frank2908 could you provide a link as to where you saw a ba5000 around the same price of the mc2505? Either the 2505 is overpriced by thousands, or someone clearly don't know what they have in the ba5000 which means it's probably gone. A ba5000 is not only x-rare, but scarce and typically goes for several thousands. It's so beastly, it can make the super monsterous sx1980 run home and cry for mama. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #13,634 of 19,142
So my SX-980 is back home after have some work done and my goodness I hardly recognize the thing!

The sound is so much stronger and cleaner than before. I always thought the amp was special but that was before I got it serviced and cleaned. Could not be happier! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #13,635 of 19,142
  So my SX-980 is back home after have some work done and my goodness I hardly recognize the thing!

The sound is so much stronger and cleaner than before. I always thought the amp was special but that was before I got it serviced and cleaned. Could not be happier! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Congrats!  Listening to my restored 1250 right now.  Makes a huge difference.  Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back