Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 21, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #13,591 of 19,143

Because the newer "modern" units use opamps instead of coming of the main amp we believe the sound is inferior to the old stuff. 

If they are inferior, it's not for that reason. This has been covered in a number of previous threads, and in one the manufacturers were actually canvassed about their heaphone outs. The answer was that most manufacturers of popularly priced stereo amps take the signal from the speaker outlets. I don't know where this idea that non-vintage stuff uses cheap op amps, but it's demonstably wrong.

This refers specifically to stereo stuff. I don't know about AV amps, but I can attest that models like the Marantz SR4200/4300/4400 etc have  very good headphone outs and can be bought cheaply on Ebay.  

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #13,592 of 19,143

If they are inferior, it's not for that reason. This has been covered in a number of previous threads, and in one the manufacturers were actually canvassed about their heaphone outs. The answer was that most manufacturers of popularly priced stereo amps take the signal from the speaker outlets. I don't know where this idea that non-vintage stuff uses cheap op amps, but it's demonstably wrong.

This refers specifically to stereo stuff. I don't know about AV amps, but I can attest that models like the Marantz SR4200/4300/4400 etc have  very good headphone outs and can be bought cheaply on Ebay.  

I think he may have been referring to headamps that don't have speaker outs.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #13,594 of 19,143
Picked up four Marantz receivers today. 2220, 2225, 2240 and 2250B. They need some extreme TLC but should clean up very nicely. The 2250B's selector potentiometer shaft is broken off so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to repair it or have to put a new one in. Do any of you awesome people have any tips in that regard? Its not fully broken off, there's still some shaft in it. I'd rather 'fix' it than going through the trouble of putting a new one in. The 2220 is missing the screws on the metal case. Anyone know what size they take?

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #13,595 of 19,143
Picked up four Marantz receivers today. 2220, 2225, 2240 and 2250B. They need some extreme TLC but should clean up very nicely. The 2250B's selector potentiometer shaft is broken off so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to repair it or have to put a new one in. Do any of you awesome people have any tips in that regard? Its not fully broken off, there's still some shaft in it. I'd rather 'fix' it than going through the trouble of putting a new one in. The 2220 is missing the screws on the metal case. Anyone know what size they take?

How many you got now?  And............what are you doing with them? 

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #13,597 of 19,143
14 Marantz and 20 with the others. I collect them and love fixing them. I don't care if the whole damn house becomes full of them eventually. >
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool.  I'll keep spotting them and telling you where they are! 

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #13,598 of 19,143
Oct 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #13,600 of 19,143
The 2250B's selector potentiometer shaft is broken off so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to repair it or have to put a new one in. Do any of you awesome people have any tips in that regard? Its not fully broken off, there's still some shaft in it. I'd rather 'fix' it than going through the trouble of putting a new one in.

Had the same problem with the balance control on my SX1250.  Found a spare pot with the same diameter shaft and cut the shaft off the old pot and super glued it to the broken balance control.  Once it was dried  and verified to be straight I coated with epoxy (thin layer).  Then wrapped the break with a small piece of cloth and soaked the cloth with more super glue.  Worked like a charm!

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #13,601 of 19,143
I live alone and have no plans ever to get married so I guess I'm lucky in this hobby lmao

The 2250B in the bunch I got yesterday is the worst off of them. I found the balance switch is broken too so its stuck all the way to the left. I got them all for $200 three of them I can fully repair except the 2250B will have to wait for another time.

The 2220 I spent around 2 and a half hours cleaning last night. This poor receiver was obviously sitting on it's top outside for a long time because there was so much old plant matter, dead insects and spiderwebs on the inside underneath. But after cleaning I've gotten the right channel back but the left channel is half volume at all times. Amazingly everything appears to be in good condition even though it's obviously sat out in the elements for a long time.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #13,602 of 19,143
Well there are a couple of projects I've been working on this week. I've been fairly interested in the au999 every since I read about a few over at ak who prefer it over the au9500. So one came available at a decent price so I decided to scoop it up to see for myself. It would also be a good opportunity to hone in on my restore skills.
biggrin.gif

Well be blunt and short, imo, it does not(at least in stock form). It does have a more neutral tonal balance which is surprising since the 9500 is the new replacement. It also have just a bit more clarity and a tad bit more engaging. But that's where the advantages end. The 9500(at least from memory) is much more refined, smoother, more detailed, more 3d, and have more transparency. So at this point I was wondering if it was even worth doing a restore. But I began to investigate this marvelously built amp further. Well there's a person who discovered the preamp have some issues. It was severely holding the amp part back. He noticed that it clipped way to early, and the 999 would barely even make rated power of 50wpc, which is outside the norm of most of  amps/receivers of this era being under rated. So he came up with a mod known as the kevzep mod that not only removed the bottleneck of clipping way too early, but also allowed the preamp to accept up to a 10v signal(not that anyone would ever need it).

So the end result was much more headroom, a larger, more defined soundstage, more bass impact, and he was now able to get a clean 72wpc before any clipping. Well after doing the mod, I have to agree. It's a much better sounding amp after the preamp mod. The mod also lowed the noise floor a bit. My w3000 have a pretty black background now. So while still no au9500, it's not embarrassed by it anymore either. So I decided to go ahead and restore it which i completed earlier today.

Well, this thing is now good enough that if it was my only amp, I would be happy. It's much more refined, airy, smooth, and now have mids to die for. As of right now, it beats an au9500(stock) pretty easily. I wouldn't hesitate putting it up against an sx1280. It's doesn't quiet beat an sx1250, but it's close. And of couse, it still can't quiet match my fave(g9000). But given these go for 300-400.00 on ebay I can easily recommend it providing someone has the skills to at least do the preamp mod. And even at the current prices I would say it's work it to have it fully restored. Before doing anything, it could get my he6 to play at moderate levels at around 2:00 on the knob. It would clip at 2:30. 

Now I can get them to moderately loud levels at 2:30 and it doesn't clip until around 3:30 on the knob. But the bass is a little thin sounding. So it's not the best pairing. The w3000 on the other hand sounds stellar! My w3000 has thunderous amounts of bass(not a phrase you will hear a lot when it comes to the w3000). They sound sooo buttery smooth and effortless  with a nice deep out of your head soundstage. But unfortunately, this amp doesn't beat out neither the 500c nor my mac(that's just too much to ask) so it won't be a keeper. But it was a fun project, and I'm glad I got to experience what this amp is capable of.

On a side note, I just couldn't resist pulling the trigger on a parts/ repair au9500 that I"m also working on. I'm waiting on some signal resistors to arrive. There's only one working channel right now. But it should be an interesting comparison once I get it completely restored. Pics to follow soon.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #13,604 of 19,143
Very nice work, Moody.  Congrats.  Certainly time spent at honing your restoration skills is not wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back