Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #12,677 of 19,143
  I'm listening to a Sony STR-6055 now and it sounds great!  Very underrated units I've found.

Very nice!! I had a 6065 that partially led me to look for the 6120. I gave the 6065 to a friend so he can have a nice unit. Bonus, I get to have a rig away from home. 
regular_smile .gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #12,678 of 19,143
  Glad to see everyone is keeping it civil on here. As long as you like how your gear sounds, everyone gets to be in their happy place. 
smily_headphones1.gif

This is absolutely essential, and one reason why I love topic threads like this one instead of impressions threads and the like. Head-Fi has always been one of the most civil forums to go to online, but there's still some nastiness in other threads if you don't tread lightly. If you get in a way of a hype train, it can run you right over.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #12,679 of 19,143
Haven't posted any pics lately, so here's some of the latest unit I just finished working on.

Bought this on eBay as a parts/repair unit, really only for the wood case since I already had a 1060.  Turned out to be a champagne faced engraved model with a bad right channel.  So I sold my other 1060 and decided to repair and keep this one instead.

With kind help from a knowledgeable AK'er, I repaired the bad channel, did a full recap, and enjoying it now.  Some pics:

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #12,683 of 19,143
Hi I bought a vintage pioneer. Sx680 or something like that. My issue is that on the headphone out, it sounds like the sound is louder out of the right ear than the left. If I use the left, right attenuation and go to left or right sound only. Clearly, the left channel is 2-3x quieter than the right.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

The other issue I have seen causing this is a bad (or deteriorating) cap in the signal path.  Many of the old Sherwood receivers I have worked on demonstrated this problem.   Replace the cap and all is well.  You really need a scope to find it.  Checking signal on the input and output side of each cap until you hit the culprit.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #12,684 of 19,143
Nice work, Captouch! That's a beautiful Marantz. Congrats and enjoy!

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #12,685 of 19,143

The other issue I have seen causing this is a bad (or deteriorating) cap in the signal path.  Many of the old Sherwood receivers I have worked on demonstrated this problem.   Replace the cap and all is well.  You really need a scope to find it.  Checking signal on the input and output side of each cap until you hit the culprit.

Most issues comes from pots and switches. First, recap then spray switches with electronic cleaner. If that doesn't help then by pass source switch. Check all cables and soldering points as well. If the problem is only on headphones then I would assume its the source switch. If amp has separate headphone amplifier then check this as well. Usually there are only 2 resistors. Unsolder and check them as well. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #12,687 of 19,143
  Haven't posted any pics lately, so here's some of the latest unit I just finished working on.

Bought this on eBay as a parts/repair unit, really only for the wood case since I already had a 1060.  Turned out to be a champagne faced engraved model with a bad right channel.  So I sold my other 1060 and decided to repair and keep this one instead.

With kind help from a knowledgeable AK'er, I repaired the bad channel, did a full recap, and enjoying it now.  Some pics:

Gorgeous even to a Pioneer fanboy...................

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #12,688 of 19,143
I got something too. Not as high end as most of you have but I am very happy. Brought from Serbia across two countries. There is lack of vintage here and what is is expensive. He just told me he also has a SA900 listed and soon a CR820.

This one is a 9.5 out of 10 condition with two very small marks on the wood. It doesn't say where its been made but all the knobs work. Dude had every possible switches in the opposite position to what I have it set now, everything is now practically on off (except for power which was initially set to "on" when I got it lol). :p It has two headphone outs which will be great for comparisons, there is no hiss with HE-4 and hiss with HD800, I am guessing because of sensitivity. I get hiss with HE-4 if I turn volume to unlistenable levels. I didn't expect much but the sound is simply put great. Full, warmish sound, the opposite of dry, neutral and very technically advanced Auditor. Lights work, everything works! Primary use will be the orthos, I think at that time Yamaha had already made some nice orthos so the headphone outs should be very decent, thats what I was thinking when I was considering the amp and they are more than decent. Anyway here are two shots, the second one is with the CD-S1000 just to show how nicely they fit together.

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #12,689 of 19,143
I got something too. Not as high end as most of you have but I am very happy. Brought from Serbia across two countries. There is lack of vintage here and what is is expensive. He just told me he also has a SA900 listed and soon a CR820.

This one is a 9.5 out of 10 condition with two very small marks on the wood. It doesn't say where its been made but all the knobs work. Dude had every possible switches in the opposite position to what I have it set now, everything is now practically on off (except for power which was initially set to "on" when I got it lol).
tongue.gif
It has two headphone outs which will be great for comparisons, there is no hiss with HE-4 and hiss with HD800, I am guessing because of sensitivity. I get hiss with HE-4 if I turn volume to unlistenable levels. I didn't expect much but the sound is simply put great. Full, warmish sound, the opposite of dry, neutral and very technically advanced Auditor. Lights work, everything works! Primary use will be the orthos, I think at that time Yamaha had already made some nice orthos so the headphone outs should be very decent, thats what I was thinking when I was considering the amp and they are more than decent. Anyway here are two shots, the second one is with the CD-S1000 just to show how nicely they fit together.

That's a beauty!  I love the Yamaha units...............with the adjustable loudness.  Does your's have that? 

Beautiful! 

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #12,690 of 19,143
It does! Right click for full size. :) And thanks for the compliment!

He had loudness set at about 6 o'clock, bass and treble at 1 and the sound was really yummy. I like the fact that I can play with knobs although I have set it to off right now and its so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back