Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #12,706 of 19,145
NAD gear sounds wonderful (I have an M15), but you have to be careful with system matching as they can sound dark.  In my case I am driving Rowland amps which has turned out to be a less than perfect match as they are also dark.  I have compensated by using silver interconnects and speaker cable along with Morel dome tweeters with level controls.  Sounds real nice now, but took a while to tune things in.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #12,707 of 19,145
Well, who knew that a power supply (power stabilizer board provides +- 65V to the amps) restore could make so much difference in the sound of an SX-1250.  It seemed to be working fine, no issues were apparent - but after the re-cap and re-solder (used WBT 4% silver solder) the sound of the 1250 has changed radically (for the better).  Improved clarity, detail, and imaging and much greater definition in the lows.  Very pleased as I was not sure until yesterday that I liked this receiver.  In addition to the caps and solder, I also completely cleaned the board and components of dust and dirt and cleaned the pins.  Still have to do the phono, tuner, and amplifier boards so can't imagine how good it will sound after that.  Here is the finished product:

Happy guy here 
atsmile.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #12,708 of 19,145
Nice!  Enjoy!  This is -one of many- projects I still need to do with my SX-1980.  Everything works and I know the adage of not trying to fix things then but some of those caps need changing and after extended listening I get occasional dropouts on one channel so I guess it must be a solder joint or a resistor or....

Time...the most precious commodity 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #12,709 of 19,145
Wow, must be nice having a 1980.  Good luck with the upgrades.  The key is taking your time.  

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #12,710 of 19,145
Well, who knew that a power supply (power stabilizer board provides +- 65V to the amps) restore could make so much difference in the sound of an SX-1250.  It seemed to be working fine, no issues were apparent - but after the re-cap and re-solder (used WBT 4% silver solder) the sound of the 1250 has changed radically (for the better).  Improved clarity, detail, and imaging and much greater definition in the lows.  Very pleased as I was not sure until yesterday that I liked this receiver.  In addition to the caps and solder, I also completely cleaned the board and components of dust and dirt and cleaned the pins.  Still have to do the phono, tuner, and amplifier boards so can't imagine how good it will sound after that.  Here is the finished product:

I wish that even more people got to experience this. The difference between the SX-1980's I have had when stock versus my two fully restored ones are not subtle. These vintage units sound MUCH better when all their aging caps are replaced with new ones that meet the original spec. Indeed, my opinion is that this is the only way one gets to hear these units perform as they originally did back when new.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #12,711 of 19,145
You could not be more correct, Skylab.

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #12,713 of 19,145
Yup. Matt did an awesome job. I'm listening to that SX-1980 right now...sounds incredible. Matt does great work and is a great guy.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #12,715 of 19,145
A yummy Yammy shot after working for hours to add the third middle shelf to the rack. Originally there was a thin perforated shelf that bent if you put on anything that outweighs 2 kg.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #12,716 of 19,145
That's a nice Yammy there!

Can anyone advice if it a Yamaha CA-1010 has a good sounding headphone out? There is a unit here being refurbished that will sell for about $600 once its done up. Is this a fair price?

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #12,717 of 19,145
  That's a nice Yammy there!

Can anyone advice if it a Yamaha CA-1010 has a good sounding headphone out? There is a unit here being refurbished that will sell for about $600 once its done up. Is this a fair price?

Haven't heard that model but it does have a 20db mute which is always good for hp use. It also depends on what hp's you are going to be using. In general hp's that require lots of power will sound good with good vintage amps. Planars, AKG flagships for e.g. Highly sensitive can's such as Sennheiser's flagships can display hiss.  

But as a general rule with these older amps. If it sounds good with speakers and is a highly regarded amp - it will sound good through the hp out, because you are using the same power source apart from resistors. 

As far as the price of that Yammy is...  hmmm maybe a little high? I would expect a full recap etc. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #12,718 of 19,145
A yummy Yammy shot after working for hours to add the third middle shelf to the rack. Originally there was a thin perforated shelf that bent if you put on anything that outweighs 2 kg.

Nice work! Thats a cool looking set up Sup

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #12,719 of 19,145
Happy Father's Day gents..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back