Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #11,266 of 19,142
  Nothing...all my lamps (and vintage gear) have 'em!
beerchug.gif

:p 

They are better than the chinese crap cords today's plastic crap comes with. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #11,267 of 19,142
thanks for the advice on getting to the most resent post. The answer is that although I enjoy this forum it's worse than the Yahoo groups navigation since Yahoo changed it. This one is just too damn clumsy and complicated for my demented mind.

Frank
W3MEE

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #11,268 of 19,142
Both my Sansui 5000A which is a 55 W/ch receiver and my Marantz 2250B Rcvr which is 70 W/Ch use zip cord. Conversion to three wire cords requires more than just unsoldering, re-soldering - it requires some sheet metal work. Now there's nothing wrong with that if you don't plan on selling the vintage gear as "vintage" but some collectors might disagree with the modification.

I will eventually get around to converting both rcvrs to three wire with the green wire to chassis but just might run into hum or ground loop problems. That one is a real rats nest. I've struggled with getting rid of occasional hum and ground loops for so many years and spent so much time on these problems that I should be a damn expert by now. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out that way and every hum problem I have ever had is either as simple as adding a 3 wire to two wire AC adapter to the other extreme of changing internal wiring on the equipment. The good thing for me is that these problems are "thinking and light work" problems which are the ones I deal with best.

73's
Frank
W3MEE

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #11,271 of 19,142
Here's the McIntosh amps at the place in Walla Walla, WA. I won't go into here again. Insane prices and the place stinks really bad! Again they probably want a large pot of gold for any of those.

I don't know if the picture is actually embedding because sprint sucks. I've tried three times. If it hasn't I'll post it when I get home.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #11,276 of 19,142
I thought the 6120 had the lid that you lifted over the switches? Can't wait to hear your review.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #11,277 of 19,142
Here's the McIntosh amps at the place in Walla Walla, WA. I won't go into here again. Insane prices and the place stinks really bad! Again they probably want a large pot of gold for any of those.

I don't know if the picture is actually embedding because sprint sucks. I've tried three times. If it hasn't I'll post it when I get home.

Walla Walla is full of new money who will pay anything for vintage chic pieces, and Hot Poop has quite the reputation for price gouging. I'm not surprised.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #11,278 of 19,142
Walla Walla is full of new money who will pay anything for vintage chic pieces, and Hot Poop has quite the reputation for price gouging. I'm not surprised.

Yes and its a very hipster infested downtown where it is so that helps to inflate the prices... I did buy The Division Bell LP in there for $200 original pale blue unused a few months ago but I'll never buy anything there again and it STINKS in there to the high heavens. (I cannot believe somebody paid $90 for PF The Wall there since it was gone this time I saw during my visit today...) The place is just insanely overpriced its shocking to say the least but music stores in hipster areas do this. Its just like music coop in Ashland, OR another hipster place for example wanted $250 for a not so good looking copy of PF MFSL DSOTM LP its just nuts! I got my MFSL DSOTM LP for under $100.

Anyways to not drift the thread, the vintage Tube McIntosh amps in there look cool though. I can't get the picture to embed so I'll have to try on PC later.

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #11,280 of 19,142
  Both my Sansui 5000A which is a 55 W/ch receiver and my Marantz 2250B Rcvr which is 70 W/Ch use zip cord. Conversion to three wire cords requires more than just unsoldering, re-soldering - it requires some sheet metal work. Now there's nothing wrong with that if you don't plan on selling the vintage gear as "vintage" but some collectors might disagree with the modification.

I will eventually get around to converting both rcvrs to three wire with the green wire to chassis but just might run into hum or ground loop problems. That one is a real rats nest. I've struggled with getting rid of occasional hum and ground loops for so many years and spent so much time on these problems that I should be a damn expert by now. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out that way and every hum problem I have ever had is either as simple as adding a 3 wire to two wire AC adapter to the other extreme of changing internal wiring on the equipment. The good thing for me is that these problems are "thinking and light work" problems which are the ones I deal with best.

73's
Frank
W3MEE

Yes, been down the road with the metal work.  I installed IEC inlets on two vintage pieces.  First a Kenwood KT-7550 tuner which sits in my main rig.  I also did the conversion on a Sherwood S-7300.  Both came out very nice.  I use a metal nibbler to do the the sheet metal work.  It just removes very small amounts at each "nibble" so you can fine tune.   I use a Pangea AC-14SE cord on my Kenwood now.  Decided to sell the 7300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back