Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #10,951 of 19,142
Ok now I'm gonna go a bit hyperbole.. Doesn't happen very often. But I'm hearing things in my fave tracks that I've not heard before and the soundstage has increased an extra cm. 

Moody and Rob. My dear friends of vintage, I deplore you not to try one of these QED amps for your HE6's if you can. I feel the need to tell you this and in fact I bet my own bottom that you would thank me dearly if you do. I'm sure they have the power +. But it's the smooth refinement and clarity! Yes clarity.. Cheap as chips too! 

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #10,952 of 19,142
You deplore us not to try it?

:p

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #10,953 of 19,142
You deplore us not to try it?

tongue.gif

Erm.. yes 
redface.gif

means I feel very strong condemnation of you not trying it :D 

TRY IT!! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #10,954 of 19,142
  Nice impressions Phoenix^^

Continuing my exploration into the 'better' eighties amps. I've just got a QED integrate. Yes QED who make cables. I'd read that they made some very good amps for a while in the late eighties for the money. They actually won an award for their last one. I have their first one. The A230S (1985?). British made and aimed at the 'purest' audiophile, nothing is inside that shouldn't be and arguably some things that should.. like output fuses. It's got a high end toroidal transformer (same as Naim) and other stuff that I can't remember as I haven't looked inside yet :D  Anyways, I've read that they have an exceptional headphone stage. Yes they do, as long as your headphones aren't too sensitive. Because I doubt there are any resistors in the way as well! 
Plugging my (not sensitive at all) K701 in, and I'm happy to report the most lovely and yet focused sound I've probably heard with them yet. Wonderful. It's almost like I can hear my old Black Box dac breath!  My HD800's (with the volume right down from my pc) again sound terrific. But unfortunately its just too loud for them. I can't live with myself thinking of imbalances and data loss at this kind of low volume. Luckily my second fave hp's are the K701's. And lucky headphones they are, having such a pure signal feeding em. 

Don't worry guys I'm not going any later than the eighties. It's only because I'm a sole headphone user (until my son stops destroying everything in his path) and speakers are a no no for me at the mo. The hp outs on some of these 80's amps are very good! Still pre opamp days ha.   

Congrats, glad you are enjoying it. I've never heard of them, but the amp sounds interesting, and personal enjoyment is what it's all about.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #10,957 of 19,142
  Congrats, glad you are enjoying it. I've never heard of them, but the amp sounds interesting, and personal enjoyment is what it's all about.

Thanks Moody. Heres a pic of the insides that I found on google for anyone who knows more than me about the schematics. There is no crackles or pops with switches so I'm in no hurry to open mine up. Plus it would mean not listening to it for a while :D

Hand made in Britain is a rare thing these days I can tell ye!

Can anyone tell if there is a resistor in the headphone path? It's 30 watts per channel so I'm guessing there would have to be. Though maybe low resistance. There is a little warning on the back that says 'only use headphones of high Z' I'm assuming this must be high impedance?   

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #10,958 of 19,142
  Does anyone else here have a Kenwood KA-7100? Now is it just me or does the BASS and TREBLE knob do absolutely nothing? 

As long as the tone switch is engaged, it should work. If not you may have a problem with the board for those controls. Honestly I don't know much about the Kenwoods as I've only worked on the Pioneers. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #10,959 of 19,142
Matt - did you ever post that picture of the 2105?  Just curious because it is one I am interested in.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #10,960 of 19,142
  Thanks Moody. Heres a pic of the insides that I found on google for anyone who knows more than me about the schematics. There is no crackles or pops with switches so I'm in no hurry to open mine up. Plus it would mean not listening to it for a while :D

Hand made in Britain is a rare thing these days I can tell ye!

Can anyone tell if there is a resistor in the headphone path? It's 30 watts per channel so I'm guessing there would have to be. Though maybe low resistance. There is a little warning on the back that says 'only use headphones of high Z' I'm assuming this must be high impedance?   

I don't see a resistor in there, but it probably has a small (4-8 ohm) resistor to protect the outputs from being shorted. "Z" is the electrical engineering variable assigned to complex impedance, so your guess is correct.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #10,961 of 19,142
  Matt - did you ever post that picture of the 2105?  Just curious because it is one I am interested in.

I guess not as I don't see one 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #10,963 of 19,142
Is the 2105 yours?

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #10,964 of 19,142
^^ I wish. It sits in a pawn shop near the Big Chicken Marietta GA. I tried to give $500 for it, but the guy wouldn't deal. He has a pair of Maggies also. None of the gear has been hooked up in years and just sits there waiting to be enjoyed. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #10,965 of 19,142
  ^^ I wish. It sits in a pawn shop near the Big Chicken Marietta GA. I tried to give $500 for it, but the guy wouldn't deal. He has a pair of Maggies also. None of the gear has been hooked up in years and just sits there waiting to be enjoyed. 

A little surprised he would not take $500.  One thing that has always intrigued me about this unit is that it has a HP jack.  Unusual for a power amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back