Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #12,061 of 19,143
That's a speaker I would love to hear and unfortunately probably never will. At least you get a chance to taste them. Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.
biggrin.gif

If you can't be loved by the one you love - love the one you're with 
biggrin.gif

But - THAT ( in the case of Bev at least ) is pure machiavellian pragmatism...

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #12,062 of 19,143

eek.gif
 I just discovered BevAudio is only some 125 miles north in Santa Barbara. I might have to push my luxo sedan up the coast and get thy understanding of stats! 

They are interesting guys. Main busseniss is - vineyards 
biggrin.gif
. I knew they are your countrymen...( but please DO check out what these babies cost - in advance ).

I would LOVE to read your impression of the whole experience - in native enviroment. Do not want to put any words in your mouth ...

Mine was limited to perhaps 15 minutes - at the SIM ( Salone Internazionale della Musica) in Milan, Italy, in 1979. In those days, the audio fair still resembled all other fairs - large halls, divided into smaller "rooms" for each exhibitor - and of course, "acoustically coupled".

I had to wait in the "que" for the exhibitors to have their time to demonstrate the sound. Just nearby was a Pioneer Bass Mega Horn ( usually pumping some disco at levels that made your balls dance...) - and a few tens of meters away an even larger counterpart from Technics. They shared the lion's share of the play time - all of the rest were limited to 15 minutes "peace & quiet" maximum. But - those were the most memorable audio 15 minutes in my life !

Separate rooms in hotels came a couple of years later...- "static" exhibitions still being held in halls, the ONLY (besides brochures and nice looking hostesses) reason to visit them was to get the free ticket for the entry to the hotel rooms with real demos.

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #12,065 of 19,143
I just picked them up, condition is mint. I really didn't know what to expect given their age and crappy pic on cl. But these things darn near look new.

Please be GENTLE with them in the beginning - if there are any issues, to not compound it even further. No idea who is the repair/refurbish guy for Quad in the States - you'll have to figure it ou by yourself - but given the mint condition and first owner from 70s with all the original paperwork  suggest a fair chance for them to be also technically OK. 

I sure wish you that to be the case.

As always with stats - do not push to listen to them in extremely high humidity ( rainy days ).

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #12,066 of 19,143
Wow, Moody, congrats on the Acoustats. I have heard Acoustats before and was super impressed. I also has a buddy who ran Quad 57's for years, with Quad II tube amps...those were also great sounding but for me a subwoofer was both mandatory and at the same time kind of hard to integrate well. But he did buy a Velodyne (on my recommendation) that did the trick well.

AnalogSurviver, I heard the big Beveridges once. Playing Steve Winwood's Arc of a Diver. I was in high school, it was early 80's. I've never forgotten how that sounded. It was incredible.

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #12,067 of 19,143
Y'all really got me wanting to hears these big Beveridges. I'll make it a day trip - factory tour, good food and drink and perhaps meet with a fellow head-fier that lives in town.
popcorn.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #12,068 of 19,143
Apparently Beveridge still makes speakers...on a very limited basis ot seems. I have no idea how those compare to the ones from the late 70's/early 80's though.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #12,072 of 19,143
Wow Moody those look like they are in pretty good shape. That's cool. If your listening chair/couch is very high, you will probably want some stands for them. There are lots of Quad stands that have been developed over the years, and lots of theories about which sound best :wink:

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #12,074 of 19,143
Here's pics of the documentation material.

i see on one book a picture of the Quad 33 preamp did you get that and the 405 amp also to go with Quad speakers i got this amp back in 1977 and it still working today Nice speakers look great remember seeing similar ones  from the time i bought the amp at the dealer but those commanded  big bucks .

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #12,075 of 19,143
I wish. It would have been nice, but it's just literature of the matching set to go along with the speakers. The previous owner said he was told the power supply needed repairing by a local shop years ago, but never got around to it. He has a lot of nice vintage gear. And asked me if I would be interested in a turntable. I told him I might, so then he show me an empire original 598 he bought many moons ago for 600.00 new. I told him yes. But then he said he wanted to goggle it to see how much he should sell it for. I told him when he's ready to give me a call. 

One of things that makes me feel a little better is he used a mac tube amp to power them(already sold
frown.gif
). So it's a decent chance he didn't over drive them and damage the panels like many others have. I got a chance to plug them up a while ago, and just like he said one works fine and the other one don't. The working one doesn't show any sparks or have any whistling sounds which are sign of a bad panel. But it's still a little to soon to tell. I'm really hoping the repair guy he talked was right and none of the panels would have to be rebuilt. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Another plus is, I was able to get a good volume with my 25-30wpc fisher 500c at only around 9:30 on the volume knob. The  light on the non-working speaker does light up though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back