Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #11,778 of 19,145
So I've been looking for a Yamaha Natural Sound as a friend has told me about the adjustable loudness control. Had me intrigued and I just love the looks of them. Even put an ad on Audiokarma..........well, driving home from work yesterday I see a reader board type of sign in the window of a - get this - lingerie shop/pole dancing training studio that says VINTAGE STEREOS. I kid you not. I whip the truck over, walk inside and lo and behold, there are at least a dozen vintage receivers and/or integrated amps scattered among the sweet nothing's. He's got a number of Sansui AU666's, an AU6500 and various eceivers. Among them is a Toshiba 7150, which is ENORMOUS and gorgeous. Reputed to be the first digital display silver face vintage receiver, and it is heavy as heck. A good 75 lbs I'd guess. Then I saw the attached.......my target, a Yamaha R700 receiver.

Hooked it up to the little netbook via a NuForce uDac2 playing Pandora fed into my Q40's............wow. That thing thumps, and the adjustable loudness is badass. Has some other "spatial" switch which I haven't moved off the off position yet, but I'm very happy with today's acquisition for $100. Gonna probably be in the garage system feeding Klipsch 3.2's and will feed it with the netbook, a CD player and my old a Realistic cassette deck just for fun.

I love this hobby!

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #11,780 of 19,145
Wow, that's a beauty! I love those Yamaha's - especially the ones with the wood side panels.

Im thinking a trek to Gresham is in my future. Lingerie and pole dancing huh...lol

It's actually in Vancouver, so much closer to you! I work in the Couve........

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #11,781 of 19,145

That's what I was thinking. Google brought up Linda Lee's...
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #11,782 of 19,145

That's awesome!

Knowing a store like that exists in the Couve somehow makes it easier to picture. Pole dancing and vintage stereos..... please tell me there was a Camaro parked out front.

Seriously, no offense to those from Van-tucky ... I can joke because I have family there.  
atsmile.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #11,783 of 19,145
Just got some Mission 702e's for £50, hooked up to the Marantz SR-47 they sound pretty good, but I don't have the space to mess around with them where I'm currently living unfortunately.
Using Profigold bassflex 1.5mm speaker cable (was cheap and is pretty nice) banana plugs at amp end (yet to terminate the other end, tinned with silver solder for now) no bi-wiring or any of that, may replace the usual metal bridges with speaker cable, will see.

Oh no, I'm getting in to the speaker world, downhill from here onwards

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #11,784 of 19,145
  Just got some Mission 702e's for £50, hooked up to the Marantz SR-47 they sound pretty good, but I don't have the space to mess around with them where I'm currently living unfortunately.
Using Profigold bassflex 1.5mm speaker cable (was cheap and is pretty nice) banana plugs at amp end (yet to terminate the other end, tinned with silver solder for now) no bi-wiring or any of that, may replace the usual metal bridges with speaker cable, will see.

Many Missions make for good near-field setups. I have a pair of 771s in my room.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #11,785 of 19,145
Yeah, that's what my uncle (Andrew Poppy, modern classical composer) said I should do :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #11,786 of 19,145

I was solely headphones till I got my Spec system.  Then a buddy gave me a pair of Klipsch 3.2's....................and another buddy "found" a pair of Cerwin Vega's at a garage sale for $20 for me.  Now I listen to the CV's as much as my headphones, at least in my music room.  Down in the family room I have no speakers hooked up so it's Head Fi all the way. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #11,787 of 19,145

You're a good sport! You know we can't wait 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 to clock your descent.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #11,788 of 19,145
You're all such great people here on head-fi :wink:

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #11,790 of 19,145
I am considering a Kenwood KA 5500.  What do you guys think of the Kenwood sound?  It would be my first. I need some power meters back in my life.

I have TWO KA-5700's and love them. One is the main headphone station I use down in the family room. Very nice sound and yeah, the meters are a nice feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back