Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #10,096 of 19,145
Found a picture of my dad's old integrated...

And the turntable that went with it...

Man, this thread sure does bring back memories 
biggrin.gif
  I have no idea where all his old gear went, but I sure wish it was still around.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #10,097 of 19,145
Yesterday, my new headphone cable arrived complete with pigtails for the HE-6. I leashed the bad boys up to speaker taps direct on the Sansui G-22000 Pure Power DC Receiver. Took it to the next level.

Formerly, I interfaced the HE-Adapter to the speaker taps. And never heard the amp's full potential. Until 
evil_smiley.gif
 now.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #10,098 of 19,145
U mean a cable from the cups straight to 4wire taps?
I must give it a try too.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #10,099 of 19,145
  Yesterday, my new headphone cable arrived complete with pigtails for the HE-6. I leashed the bad boys up to speaker taps direct on the Sansui G-22000 Pure Power DC Receiver. Took it to the next level.

Formerly, I interfaced the HE-Adapter to the speaker taps. And never heard the amp's full potential. Until 
evil_smiley.gif
 now.

That's 240w at 8ohms you're plugging into
eek.gif

I believe Fang Bain recommended that one only went up to 100w when plugging directly into an amp.

Even with the HE-Adapter out of the back of my SX-1980 I don't get as much range on volume knob as I do just using the head out. How much control are you getting.

I must admit if you manage not to blow up your HE-6 I might try it myself.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #10,100 of 19,145

eek.gif

I believe Fang Bain recommended that one only went up to 100w when plugging directly into an amp.

Even with the HE-Adapter out of the back of my SX-1980 I don't get as much range on volume knob as I do just using the head out. How much control are you getting.

evil_smiley.gif

It is the only proper way to drive HPs directly off speaker output. You have to be careful with volume, switching, cable pulling and the like - no resistor in series to absorb and protect from anything what should not be there in the first place. Power levels and HP sensitivities have to be reasonably matched, both for HP safety and hiss reasons. Far from all speaker amps are quiet enough with all HPs, particularly IEMs. But they are out there.

Once you experience a good combo of speaker amp driving suitable cans, you will find it hard to go back to more normal setups. If you are looking for euphonic result or are using some HPs that are known to sound beter with high(ish) amp output impedance, this might not be the ticket. Anything else - 
evil_smiley.gif

You may discover that volume potentiometer on (vintage) amp/receiver is iffy at lower volume setting compared to speakers. How much a really good reliable pot costs - sky is unfortunately the limit here. But a decent blue Alps unit should be good enough for all but most extreme situations and most demanding users. Better spending for say an Alps than having to replace costly HPs due to the fact that pot can trough intermittent contact al lower setting output full blast the amp is capable of.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10,101 of 19,145

eek.gif

evil_smiley.gif

wink_face.gif
 Shhhhhhh... just in case he pops into one of my threads. May need to replace 'em 
rolleyes.gif

The sound? More open versus HPO or into HE-Adapter > Out to taps. In the HE-6 thread, I mentioned it was akin to cleaning the large picture window in the front of the living room. Or kickin' the front door down entirely. 
biggrin.gif

Does the '1980' have an inner-lock ring for setting maximum volume? I love this about my G-22000. Though, the temptation remains to turn-it-up! 

On range, agreed that there is less range on the volume knob but still very good control near minimum volume.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #10,102 of 19,145
Does the '1980' have an inner-lock ring for setting maximum volume? I love this about my G-22000. Though, the temptation remains to turn-it-up! 

It does not - that's a cool feature though,

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #10,103 of 19,145

It is the only proper way to drive HPs directly off speaker output. You have to be careful with volume, switching, cable pulling and the like - no resistor in series to absorb and protect from anything what should not be there in the first place. Power levels and HP sensitivities have to be reasonably matched, both for HP safety and hiss reasons. Far from all speaker amps are quiet enough with all HPs, particularly IEMs. But they are out there.

Once you experience a good combo of speaker amp driving suitable cans, you will find it hard to go back to more normal setups. If you are looking for euphonic result or are using some HPs that are known to sound beter with high(ish) amp output impedance, this might not be the ticket. Anything else - 
evil_smiley.gif

You may discover that volume potentiometer on (vintage) amp/receiver is iffy at lower volume setting compared to speakers. How much a really good reliable pot costs - sky is unfortunately the limit here. But a decent blue Alps unit should be good enough for all but most extreme situations and most demanding users. Better spending for say an Alps than having to replace costly HPs due to the fact that pot can trough intermittent contact al lower setting output full blast the amp is capable of.

It's high anxiety inside the listening room. I'm trying really really hard to be careful with the turn of the knob, seemingly with a favourite track lurking around every corner. 

However, when the Sansui is pumping decent volume through the HE-6, they sound like mini-speakers. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #10,105 of 19,145

It's high anxiety inside the listening room. I'm trying really really hard to be careful with the turn of the knob, seemingly with a favourite track lurking around every corner. 

However, when the Sansui is pumping decent volume through the HE-6, they sound like mini-speakers. 
tongue_smile.gif

ANY decent headph... - I mean earspekars - really do sound like mini speakers. Jecklin Float, Stax Lambda, AKG K 1000,HE-6, plus may others I am not familiar with. You can listen to the news on TV or radio on Floats if they are sitting on the table - across the room...

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #10,109 of 19,145
Originally Posted by analogsurviver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like black better than silver - so the vote goes to the front wheel. What is it made of: rim, hub, spokes, tire ?

My colour preferences aside, congrats on Tower Of Power 
beerchug.gif

Thanks kindly on the stack! The front wheel is a 700c Specialized Roval Rapide 60 Carbon Clincher Wheel. It belongs to my Cervelo S5 sitting in the hallway... here:

And is usually kept in the middle of my bedroom, along with a vintage Schwinn - I ride the Velo on Saturdays, the Carbon Cervelo a time or two during the week and the Steel Schwinn a couple of times a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back