Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #9,272 of 19,145
Quote:
The home of Newcastle Brown Ale :wink:

Ah!!!!! LOOPY JUICE!! This explains a lot. 
size]
 jk

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #9,273 of 19,145
Aug 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #9,275 of 19,145
this is what we have out west....

wooof woooof 
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #9,276 of 19,145
Quote:
We would need more information to guide you to the best choice:

* Is the visual appearance of the unit important ?  (If yes, then the premium price of Marantz would be worthwhile to you, otherwise not.)
* Do you listen to FM radio ?  (If not, then an "integrated amplifier" that does not have a tuner might be a more cost-effective choice.  But if the answer to the appearance question was "yes", then you might want a receiver just for the "look".)
* Do you listen to rock and pop - or do you favor folk, jazz and/or classical ?

What I'm really looking is a vintage that will make the most of my Grado SR-225i

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #9,277 of 19,145
Quote:
You mean its too loud at very low volume? you need to replace original 470om resistors for bigger ones. Not sure is it wot for Grado as tese are dynamic, low impedance eadpones.
I use ifiman E5LE, ortodynamic.

Again sorry for grammar - keyboard not working and some letters are missing.

No I need to pump up the volume knob to get a decent sound

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #9,278 of 19,145
Tats very strange. I listened E5LE at 11 o clock max on volume pot wit original resistors and after messing it up wit lower value I really cant go past 9 o clock. But ortodynamic ones arent sensitive for DF generally as dynamic ones. IMO its not good combination for dynamic like Grado as you sould observe slower attack, overall mudness, big wooly bass and also some distortion on igs (soprans, sry no letter working...) like sarpness, unnatural sound etc. Its muc better to use very low impedance output for Grados. Maybe your model is not properly working - dont know. Can you describe more at wat level of volume knob you listening to and wat appens?

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #9,279 of 19,145
Quote:
Is that the small Island with rude people beside nice and friendly Ireland?
wink.gif
Home of Guinness!

Hahaha exactly!
Quote:

Ah!!!!! LOOPY JUICE!! This explains a lot. 
size]
 jk

Suppose you're right... 
size]

size]

Quote:

beerchug.gif
 Now that looks sooo nice! Only it should never be served in a pint glass. That would be frowned upon in Newcastle, we either drink it straight out the bottle or in a half pint glass.... It just doesn't taste right out of a pinter. Don't know why 
size]

Quote:
Also the birthplace of one Gordon Sumner...aka Sting.

Yup. And Jackie Milburn (the greatest soccer player that ever lived :wink:

Hmmm I want a drink now haha 

(just got me Pioneer so I'll be posting some pics soon. It's needing quite a clean up..)

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #9,280 of 19,145
Quote:

wooof woooof 
beerchug.gif

Since this is vintage thread - vintage "thingy to put your glass of Laško pivo on" - from my single digit age time ( from an auction in my country )

images

It says " At every occasion to quench thirst - refreshing Laško pivo " .

I used to live in the vicinity of the printing house these and labels for the bottle of the famous "Goat" used to be printed and if asked politely, we kids were always given a couple of those. 

Here the current incarnation - from can to barrel :

images

Although my "town" beer is Union, I drink Laško - there is a fierce rivalry and more-than-one-not-so-nice "comparisons" - from both camps. Sometimes/someplaces not particularly wise to wave the flag of your beer - if you want to stay out of trouble. In iffy situations, I go neutral - Heineken, Fosters ( Australian for beer ), etc.

The best English speaking people will remember Slovenian "pivo" for beer is by listening to this song by Vadnals http://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vadnals , which are/were IIRC from Cleveland and of Slovene descent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkmTRG0FqQ

Saw them live at the tender age of 6  - at the Izseljeniški piknik ( Immigration picnic, Slovenes immigrated from all over the world gather yearly in home country, in 1966 when I saw them it was at the castle of town Škofja Loka ). 

Understandably, it was "no pivo today" for me back then...

beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #9,282 of 19,145
Quote:
Tats very strange. I listened E5LE at 11 o clock max on volume pot wit original resistors and after messing it up wit lower value I really cant go past 9 o clock. But ortodynamic ones arent sensitive for DF generally as dynamic ones. IMO its not good combination for dynamic like Grado as you sould observe slower attack, overall mudness, big wooly bass and also some distortion on igs (soprans, sry no letter working...) like sarpness, unnatural sound etc. Its muc better to use very low impedance output for Grados. Maybe your model is not properly working - dont know. Can you describe more at wat level of volume knob you listening to and wat appens?

+1.

Yep, Kardon has those problems, but it still has very nice sound.
Does Grado require amp? I had SR325i once and didn't find amping adds large margin benefit.
If you like Grado sound, Kardon really is not good match, you may think later models of Pioneer. They generally add soundstage and dynamics. OK, I can also recommend another Kenwood Kr-8050/Kr-9050 High-speed DC stereo receiver, the sound rises and decays so fast in those models. Gees, I felt I was always forced to listen to every note. Not my taste at all, but may suit you since you dig Grados.

@scottie,
I don't drink much but the ale you posted just lure me to, maybe the name and wooof, wooof trigger me! You evil .....!!!

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #9,283 of 19,145
Quote:
+1.

Yep, Kardon has those problems, but it still has very nice sound.
Does Grado require amp? I had SR325i once and didn't find amping adds large margin benefit.
If you like Grado sound, Kardon really is not good match, you may think later models of Pioneer. They generally add soundstage and dynamics. OK, I can also recommend another Kenwood Kr-8050/Kr-9050 High-speed DC stereo receiver, the sound rises and decays so fast in those models. Gees, I felt I was always forced to listen to every note. Not my taste at all, but may suit you since you dig Grados.

@scottie,
I don't drink much but the ale you posted just lure me to, maybe the name and wooof, wooof trigger me! You evil .....!!!

Thank you for all your inputs, a friend of mine will give me a Marantz 2230, so hopefully that will work well with my Grado

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #9,284 of 19,145

Hi ScottieB,
you know this is a staple out east:

Hope Calgary is doing you right.
Nice to see you've collected a pair of NS 1000M.

My experience is to leave the crossovers alone, unless there is an obvious fault.
Focus on the high and mid attenuator dials, sometimes just working them all the way back and forth is enough to keep the contact surfaces clean, these dials are the speakers weak link.

At some point you will have to remove the faceplate, position the knob to 'Normal' and pull it straight off.
Beneath is a nut and washer that will release the high quality L-Pad, with plated copper windings and a plated solid copper wiper.
Spray into the ceramic body with DeoxIT and work the dial.

In searching for an amplifier to power them, I'm afraid few receivers or mid range amplifiers will let them shine.
Having those speakers go from "very good" to 'incredible' does take a quality amplifier, preferably separates in my experience.
Certainly you will hear the difference when hooked to an appropriate amp, I found 150W solid state and up to be about right for me.
I didn't play much with valves, these were hooked to a pair of Manley Neo-Classic SE / PP 300B for years and I've listened through a McIntosh MC 240 with my favorite 6L6GC tubes.

I am using the matching original Yamaha C1 preamp and VFET B1 power amp, it is 160W.
NS speakers are very dependent on program material, I've had them fully cranked for a favorite song using a Bryston BDP-1 digital player with a Bel Canto dac.
Fast, accurate and a sphere of sound center stage as you sit eight feet away in the sweet spot, a really good system.
Enjoy your music.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #9,285 of 19,145
Quote:
With enough Ale,
tongue_smile.gif
 it'll look okay!

It is/was a cardboard beer mat ( non plastified ) - it could wind up looking far worse after a single evening of real action. They used to change them at least daily. From which hole did the seller of this by now truly mega rare version dig it is beyond me.

This specimen is 45 + years old - I know, they changed design in early 70s 
L3000.gif
 - and on "pivogon" 
cool.gif
 scale it would still score 5/10 ! . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back