Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #8,941 of 19,145
Yes, I've seen it done many times in various restoration threads, though sometimes it requires some custom work (drilling, cutting metal to proper sizes, etc).

It'd be useful to have a thread somewhere that cross referenced off-the-shelf speaker binding post modules (with links to where you can purchase them) to particular vintage receiver/amp models.  I just recapped a Marantz 1060 and the speaker binding posts are one things I'd like to still update.  It's easy to do - just desolder 4 wires, unscrew the old module, resolder the 4 wires, and screw in a new module - if only you could find the right module that would fit.

I don't have the tools to make my own, otherwise, it'd be pretty easy to do as well.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #8,942 of 19,145
Well, I'll be John Brown (1800-1859) if the thread this evening didn't put me in the mood! It's been a few nights... gonna 
tongue_smile.gif
make the Sansui swing.

I'm still Hotel side, while I look for a new place to rent. Gotta new 30-pin to stereo RCA cable to replace the cable above.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #8,945 of 19,145
Quote:
Sha...BAM!! Deoxit strikes again. This stuff is freakin' magic. All noise on the hd650 is gone. 
size]
 I can even run the hd650 without the -20db engaged and the sound is still clean. Wow...just wow. 

Hurrah !

For those who are wondering how to do Deoxit, here is  Arkay's "Idiot's Guide" (because it takes one to know one... ) to a DeOxit job:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #8,946 of 19,145
Quote:
Great job... I'm interested!

Lol, I'm not sure if you are familiar with Quad's history. They made the first full range electrostatic speakers or ESL, this was before Stax started making electrostatic headphones. This amp's design is very old but there are kits that updates them. They can power the electrostatic ESL-57 speakers. Yup, 57 means 1957, I think, when they were first produced.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #8,947 of 19,145
So, the Sansui AU-417 arrived today... probably the heaviest thing I own, lol !  And when the exact same thing is sold as AU-517, it has yet another heavy transformer in the empty slot in the same case !  Holy Hernia, Batman !

I can't do a legit comparison to the Marantz 140, because - even aside from the power output difference - this unit is completely recapped and serviced to bring it to original spec, which is why it was a very nice deal for US$175:

The unit is super clean as you can see from the picture, and all pots and switches work like new.  The only thing aged looking is the RCA jacks, so I am going to treat those with contact conditioner.

The sound quality is uniformly excellent in virtually all aspects.   Nothing that makes you say "wow" - except when the music calls for it (I did play Saint-Saens Organ Symphony !)   The response is very controlled, which works very well with the Universal Mad Dog 3.2 with 1/4" plug (for vintage receivers).  It also has a quiet dark background like the Mad Dog.  A very good pairing IMHO.

Like the Marantz, it is excellent with rock, but the much greater 65 watts per channel give it that much more reserve - I had the volume at 9:00 to 12:00 at very most.

It has slightly less air & detail than the Bellari hybrid amp, but the extra power of the Sansui seems to be very helpful with planar magnetics.  Now that I am primarily using planars instead of dynamics (the SRH-1840 was traded away), I will probably want to go the vintage route...

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #8,948 of 19,145
Quote:

Lol, I'm not sure if you are familiar with Quad's history. They made the first full range electrostatic speakers or ESL, this was before Stax started making electrostatic headphones. This amp's design is very old but there are kits that updates them. They can power the electrostatic ESL-57 speakers. Yup, 57 means 1957, I think, when they were first produced.

Didn't know their history... thanks. But along with MattTCG, I strongly dislike 
rolleyes.gif
 some of these vintage speaker terminals!

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #8,951 of 19,145
I sprayed mine down and then twisted the rca cable ends back and forth to loosen corrosion up. No issues here after doing so.
Quote:
Nice!! I do like the black.

So it's okay to spray the inside of the RCA jacks? Deoxit?

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #8,952 of 19,145
Quote:

Didn't know their history... thanks. But along with MattTCG, I strongly dislike 
rolleyes.gif
 some of these vintage speaker terminals!

The modern 5-way binding posts didn't start appearing until the late 80's/early 90's in both the higher end amplifiers and speakers. Vintage receivers never used them because there is just not enough space in the back. They mostly used the spring loaded bare wire connectors.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #8,953 of 19,145
Quote:

The modern 5-way binding posts didn't start appearing until the late 80's/early 90's in both the higher end amplifiers and speakers. Vintage receivers never used them because there is just not enough space in the back. They mostly used the spring loaded bare wire connectors.

I found it difficult to connect the HE-6 to the rear of the SX-D7000. I mean, it worked but not securely. Felt like
rolleyes.gif
 I was runnin' a hokey operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back