Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7,786 of 19,145
Quote:
Lol, I cut off that lowly lamp cord on my ka907 and now have a 7awg pangea ac9 on it. Lets just say I'm really happy with the results. Some of the hardest hitting bass I've heard from a speaker amp. These lamp cords are really limiting what some of these higher powered monsters can do although they still sound killer as is.

eek.gif
 I still got time! What should I ask the tech to throw on my Sansui? And at what point of origin?

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #7,787 of 19,145
Well, I actually got out my dremel and cut a hole to fit a valab pure copper, gold plated iec socket. I also replaced the internal wiring going into the socket with 12awg wiring. So now I can replace cords at will.

The chassis on my fisher don't have enough room for an iec connector because of how narrow the back is. So I used a panel mount iec connector on it(with very good results). I'm on the fence on whether adding an iec socket to my sansui. It looks so mint I might just keep it all original. But on the other hand, all of the lamps have been replaced with leds, and it's been recapped and restored(many resistors and transistors), so it's not exactly all original either.

So I'm kinda leaning towards doing the same thing with it. I may just try a panel mount first to see if the improvement will be as drastic as it was with the kenwood before I start butchering the back of the chassis.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #7,788 of 19,145
Quote:

eek.gif
 I still got time! What should I ask the tech to throw on my Sansui? And at what point of origin?

I would use the thickest Beldin cable that fits through the existing hole so your tech just needs to rewire and not cut up the back.
The add your plug of choice....

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #7,789 of 19,145
Quote:
Well, I actually got out my dremel and cut a hole to fit a valab pure copper, gold plated iec socket. I also replaced the internal wiring going into the socket with 12awg wiring. So now I can replace cords at will.

The chassis on my fisher don't have enough room for an iec connector because of how narrow the back is. So I used a panel mount iec connector on it(with very good results). I'm on the fence on whether adding an iec socket to my sansui. It looks so mint I might just keep it all original. But on the other hand, all of the lamps have been replaced with leds, and it's been recapped and restored(many resistors and transistors), so it's not exactly all original either.

So I'm kinda leaning towards doing the same thing with it. I may just try a panel mount first to see if the improvement will be as drastic as it was with the kenwood before I start butchering the back of the chassis.
biggrin.gif

Ooh, I have not thought about the originality angle... a concern. Or maybe not, we ain't 
tongue.gif
selling it!  I should ask the tech what would he do, after I ask about new internal wiring and AC plug. 

It is rumored only 2,000 G-33000 units were made. Not many with my model, either. Out of fascination, I'm going to try and learn actual production numbers for the two this week...

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #7,790 of 19,145
I'm actually using pretty nice Audioquest cable between my 1980 and DSS-9 speakers...that's because I terminated it with gold "pins "...works great with those stupid push-terminals.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #7,791 of 19,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would use the thickest Beldin cable that fits through the existing hole so your tech just needs to rewire and not cut up the back.
The add your plug of choice....

You know the hardest part about making this request? 
rolleyes.gif
 I don't even have the funds to get it out the shop 
rolleyes.gif
 right now.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #7,792 of 19,145
Quote:

Ooh, I have not thought about the originality angle... a concern. Or maybe not, we ain't 
tongue.gif
selling it!  I should ask the tech what would he do, after I ask about new internal wiring and AC plug. 

It is rumored only 2,000 G-33000 units were made. Not many with my model, either. Out of fascination, I'm going to try and learn actual production numbers for the two this week...

I was concerned about that as well, but it didn't hurt the resale value of a marantz 2330B I sold after getting the sansui. The buyer contacted me after the sale and said one of the selling points for him was the fact that it did have an iec connector and he could use his high end power cords. 

So I'm sure there are many who want their vintage gear all original, but there are also many aftermarket cable and cord fans as well who would appreciate the ability to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them. My 2330B went for 800.00 excluding shipping which is quiet a bit more than they normally go for. So it's possible if in the unlikely event you sell it, it could be beneficial. Especially if done by a professional which obviously neither of mine were not lol.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7,793 of 19,145
Truth be told, I could see someone being picky about it. Walking away. And perusing forums back at the house only to realize two things: it's rare... and they threw away 
eek.gif
my phone number. 
etysmile.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #7,796 of 19,145
Here's a pic of what the iec socket looked like on the marantz before I sold it. Now that I look at it, it does look a tad bit crooked I think.

Sorry but what is an IEC socket and what is the relevance? Us vintage noobs like to learn.

TIA

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #7,798 of 19,145
Considering cables I am pretty much a skeptic that these hyper expensive cables make much of a difference.  I think a quality cable can do the job.  I think the cables from Blue Jeans Cables are about the limit of what I would pay for.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7,799 of 19,145
Well it's not about using hyper expensive cables. It's about getting rid of 35-40 year old very thin lamp cords which for sure has experienced some form of degrading over the last 40 years or so.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #7,800 of 19,145
Google it man :p

Thanks. Never thought of that. Funny tho, it didn't give me the answer to the relevance part of the question, especially as it relates to vintage. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back