Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #7,801 of 19,145
Quote:
Quote:
Google it man
tongue.gif

Thanks. Never thought of that. Funny tho, it didn't give me the answer to the relevance part of the question, especially as it relates to vintage.
rolleyes.gif

Are you serious?

If you can't tell from this click on the images link. If you can't tell from that...

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #7,802 of 19,145
Thanks. Never thought of that. Funny tho, it didn't give me the answer to the relevance part of the question, especially as it relates to vintage. 
rolleyes.gif

Ok, I'll answer that. The way it relates to vintage is the same way recapping does. It relates to vintage because you have a 40 year old lamp cord. Just like recapping, the copper wire can degrade and tarnish over time just like caps can either go bad or out of spec. The problem is, the lamp cord is connected internally. So replacing it with an iec connector gives you the ability to replace cords at will. 

And like recapping, many don't care as long as the amp works just like many don't care about a solution to replace the 35-40 year old lamp cord. But I can definitely say upon stripping some of wire on my marantz, the wire was a dingy brown color. That's going beyond the green copper initially turns when it begins to tarnish. The wire from  my kenwood wasn't nearly as bad, but it's not as old as the marantz either. The wire from my almost 50 year old fisher? Let just say it looked much worse than the marantz did.

So any improvements that can be made to vintage amps are always relevant imo.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #7,803 of 19,145
It may be best to post a picture of a modern IEC socket with the caption, "old amps don't have these".

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #7,805 of 19,145
Ok, I'll answer that. The way it relates to vintage is the same way recapping does. It relates to vintage because you have a 40 year old lamp cord. Just like recapping, the copper wire can degrade and tarnish over time just like caps can either go bad or out of spec. The problem is, the lamp cord is connected internally. So replacing it with an iec connector gives you the ability to replace cords at will. 

And like recapping, many don't care as long as the amp works just like many don't care about a solution to replace the 35-40 year old lamp cord. But I can definitely say upon stripping some of wire on my marantz, the wire was a dingy brown color. That's going beyond the green copper initially turns when it begins to tarnish. The wire from  my kenwood wasn't nearly as bad, but it's not as old as the marantz either. The wire from my almost 50 year old fisher? Let just say it looked much worse than the marantz did.

So any improvements that can be made to vintage amps are always relevant 
imo.

Thank you very much for showing patience and explaining it perfectly. It makes sense now as to the why as well. Had no idea the power cord would/could degrade.

Appreciate the response. Very much.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #7,806 of 19,145
I was just having a little fun Oregonian, hopefully you didn't take offense.

That Pioneer seller on Craig's list has dropped his price to $300 for the integrated/tuner stack I posted recently. I don't need it and can't afford it, I really don't even have room for it and I'm still thinking that I have to have it...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #7,807 of 19,145
Like many upgrades, most won't even care. But it might be of importance to some. I'm glad you have a better understanding of the whole concept. But like I said earlier, the discussion isn't about expensive power cords or a cable debate. But a means of replacing something very old with a good chance of it being at the very least tarnished.

Maybe the next discussion will be about getting rid of those very crappy spring clips.:D

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #7,810 of 19,145
Quote:
Thank you very much for showing patience and explaining it perfectly. It makes sense now as to the why as well. Had no idea the power cord would/could degrade.

Appreciate the response. Very much.

I used to laugh at people who said power cords make a difference - that is until upgrading the PCs on my Jeff Rowland amps drastically improved the sound of my main rig.  So much so that my wife asked me what I did that made it sound so good.  I just did an IEC inlet mod to a Sherwood S-7300.  Big improvement there also.

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #7,812 of 19,145
Quote:
Power cables don't make a difference unless the cable is too old or broken.

That has not been my experience - but I was once in your camp on this.

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #7,814 of 19,145
Quote:
Less off-topic debate and more vintage receiver photos, please.

Ok, I will compromise with a picture of the rear of my Sherwood S-7300 with an IEC connector.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7,815 of 19,145
That has not been my experience - but I was once in your camp on this.

How can power cables provide a cleaner power feed when the mains AC supply is dirty? A cable acts as a signal transporter from point A to B whatever A is B will be the same. Now if you said you have a power conditioner/power plant connected along with a special power cable then things are different. As I said perceived sound differences could be possible due to a connection/fault with the cable itself degrading power supply. I don't like derailing threads but I simply cannot agree with such a statement no matter how much you believe a difference there is to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back