Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #631 of 19,142
Funny how the D7000 on the Pioneer SX980 plays so well and the meter show burst hitting 1W and when I use the HE6 the meter will hit the 80W burst on certain passages. it is a real trip and it show that the planar can and will whatever you give it in terms of power. This receiver has been a blast and a real pleasure to listen too, If you own a HE6 I suggest you seek out the Pioneer receivers SX5or 8 series and this is perfect for my cans. I figure even if you need to rebuild these and its cost a few hundred you could never get anything near this quality again. This is the last amplifier I will need as it is that good and I sold the Marantz 2220B today locally it was listed a few hours and sold. Demand is great for these vintage receivers and glad I snagged this one.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #632 of 19,142
Is that reading of 80w while listening through the headphone output or the speaker terminals? If it's through the HP out there's reason to believe that there's actually only talk of 2w as it was common that those outputs had 330 ohms resitors at that time. I have BTW seen a threadf somewhere that talked about improved soundquality if the resistors were changed to 120 ohms, but that might make it difficult to listen to the D7000s.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #633 of 19,142

Quote:
Is that reading of 80w while listening through the headphone output or the speaker terminals? If it's through the HP out there's reason to believe that there's actually only talk of 2w as it was common that those outputs had 330 ohms resitors at that time. I have BTW seen a threadf somewhere that talked about improved soundquality if the resistors were changed to 120 ohms, but that might make it difficult to listen to the D7000s.

That is through the headphone jacks and I have also used it thru the speaker taps with same results but lower on the volume knob. i would assume your correct and I love the D7000 the way its sounding so I wont mod this. if it goes and need a rebuild I will try to get it in original state as it so good sounding now why mess with a good thing but that great info.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #634 of 19,142
My experience is similar on my fisher. When I first got it I had he-5s at the time. It didn't have nearly enough juice to power them from the headphone out. After downloading a schematic I saw that it used 330ohm resistors at the headphone out. So I changed them out for 165ohm resistors essentially doubling the power. I had great results with them, after that. But on the flip side, I could get hum free performace before that switch with my iems. After the switch there was a little hum. It was only with iems though. Now after upgrading to the he-6, the headphone out with the 165ohm resistors powers them about the same the stock resistors did with the he-5s. But I'm leaving well enough alone because the headphone out is just right for my denons. No hum whatsoever. I get a little when I push the volume up past the point where it would damage both my hearing and the denons. But I can get to insanely loud levels hum free. As for the he-6, they sound outstanding powered from the speaker taps.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #635 of 19,142
Well, I was browsing on craigslist a couple of days ago, and I came across a listing for a pioneer sx-1010 receiver. I really hadn't heard too much about this particular receiver and wondered would it be worth it to drive  an hour and 45 minutes to Huntsville to pick it up. I also wondered since it was a 1000 level sx receiver it it would be anywhere close to a sx1050 or 1080. To my surprise, there's quiet a bit of information about it on audiokarma. Not only is it up there with the 1050/1080, but it's actually a notch above those. The 1010 was acually the totl receiver in that particular year and was the receiver the 1250 replaced. So I spent half the night last night reading impressions and there were a ton of people who owns this and the 1250. At least half of them prefered it to the 1250 and all of them said it was a step up from the 1050. From my reading I also found that this receiver was the original "monster" receiver, and it was from this receiver that started it all when it came to 100+ wpc receivers. Also this receiver is even more rare than the rest of them. So I decided to see that the lady was asking since she was selling this as a bundle with other vintage gear for 850. She told me 200.00 and would accept 165.00. Wow!! I thought there must be something wrong with it. She later sent me a message telling me that it was in perfect working condition with only a couple of cosmetic blemishes, and untill very recently was kept in an entertainment cabinet for 20+ years. I really thought this was too good to be true, but it would be worth the trip to check it out. I took my he-6 with me to test it out to see if the headphone out was really as powerful as Skylab and Frank indicated. After plugging them in, my jaw  litterally hit the floor. If anyone read my impressions in the he-6 thread, they will see I was one of the first going on about these needing a dedicated speaker amp to power these cans. I didn't think there was a "dedicated" headphone amp inexistence that could drive these to their "full" potential. I have listened to these on several powerful dedicated headphone amps including a very nice beta 22. Some could get a nice volume out of them, but non powered them to their full potential. So that's why I was so amazed that the  headphone out could not only drive them to a decent volume, but drive them as well as a dedicated speaker amp. And I don't even have to go anywhere close to 12:00 on the knob either. The sound was amazingly clean, and this was using the lineout from my iphone4. There were a couple of minor things. The antenna holder was broke and there's a few small blemishes on the front left corner of the wood cabinet(and easy fix if I chose to). Other than that, it scratch free and looks very good. I haven't tried them with any speakers yet, but the headphone out alone is enough for me. I can't belive how good the headphone out is. It's by far the  best solid state amp I've listened to for headphones; and I mean by a large margin. Frank, you and I haven't agreed on everything, but you and Skylab were absolutely right about this. Even with the couple of small issues, I kind of feel guilty leaving that lady's house with this thing only giving her 165.00. What!! 165.00. I have struck gold quite a few time with some really great bargins, but this is an outright steel for 165.00, and is the bargin of the century. It's an even bigger bargin than the 250.00 I got my fisher for. I can't wait to try this thing out with my other headphones and speakers. This thing is a beast. I struggled to carry this to my car. Pics to follow later.                

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #637 of 19,142

Quote:
Please excuse all of my typos. I'm just too excited right now.

it was Scottie who got Rob on the Pioneer kick and Rob and scottie got me interested and I smile all the time and glad you made a better score than I. But they are really special receivers and even if the kaput woth the bucks to rebuild. They are special for sure and glad you see it the same way and no need for pigtail with the puppies in the headphone jack. it is my best headphone amps for them for sure and man my D7000 thrives with it. Welcome to Team Pioneer.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #640 of 19,142
Pics really don't show how massively built this thing is. It has what appears to be an EI transformer(which is preferred by many). I say appears because I've never seen this type of transformer anywhere near this size. It's as big as a large toroid. Those two caps are almost the size of the car audio caps used to go between the battery and amp.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #641 of 19,142
I picked up a 1010 a few years ago.  Had a tech check it out.  Its my garage system receiver now.  Guess I should try the HP out.  
rolleyes.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #643 of 19,142
Moodyrn, that Pioneer looks AWESOME!  Congrats.  Still loving my big Pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back